Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit grim up north, there is such a shortage of jobs, let alone graduate jobs.

I am 25, my career so far has been stop and start. I graduated at 22. I fear that I don't have a choice but to move down south as it really is a bit grim up north.

Don't like having to have the conversation with my parents and friends up here, but I don't want to waste my life.

Anyone in a similar position or know others who have been?

ReputationRep:
    My brother and our family live in Edinburgh and my brother graduated from Chemistry and found it impossible to find a job in Scotland. He moved down to Leeds and got a job there and lived there for a few years before finally finding a job in Grangemouth.(40 minutes away from Edinburgh) - although he moved back to Edinburgh he still had to travel 40 minutes everyday before finally finding a job in Edinburgh. I agree with you though, it is a bit grim but I totally say go for it because you may end up finding a job later on in life in your hometown anyway. He doesn't regret it at all as he met so many people and gotten a good experience out of it. I reckon he would still be willing to move away from Edinburgh if he finds a better paid/ranked job.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    My brother and our family live in Edinburgh and my brother graduated from Chemistry and found it impossible to find a job in Scotland. He moved down to Leeds and got a job there and lived there for a few years before finally finding a job in Grangemouth.(40 minutes away from Edinburgh) - although he moved back to Edinburgh he still had to travel 40 minutes everyday before finally finding a job in Edinburgh. I agree with you though, it is a bit grim but I totally say go for it because you may end up finding a job later on in life in your hometown anyway. He doesn't regret it at all as he met so many people and gotten a good experience out of it. I reckon he would still be willing to move away from Edinburgh if he finds a better paid/ranked job.

Good luck!
    I think I have hit a bit of a wall in the north east, I had a graduate job but it went down the tubes (construction industry) at the turn of the year. A lot of very good experience out of it, but it also means that a lot of employers think I will leave them for something better now that I have the experiences. So, I think going south is the only logical option at this point. I have wasted about 2+ years since graduation (working for about a year too) and I just give up with the idea that staying at home is going to work.

What has put me off going down south are the crazy property prices. But, I have no option now because I want a life and career prospects.

P.s. Very well done to your bro, at least there is some hope for us out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    I think I have hit a bit of a wall in the north east, I had a graduate job but it went down the tubes (construction industry) at the turn of the year. A lot of very good experience out of it, but it also means that a lot of employers think I will leave them for something better now that I have the experiences. So, I think going south is the only logical option at this point. I have wasted about 2+ years since graduation (working for about a year too) and I just give up with the idea that staying at home is going to work.

What has put me off going down south are the crazy property prices. But, I have no option now because I want a life and career prospects.

P.s. Very well done to your bro, at least there is some hope for us out there.
    Definitely agree with you there. The property prices are absolutely crazy. If you apply to any jobs it would help researching different areas of the location you're applying at and looking at possible cheap-ish properties to rent out/buy. Even though it sounds daunting, I would definitely say go for it as you will get a great experience out of it and at some point in life it's a good thing to move on and try somewhere else. But you definitely aren't alone. It's very hard to find a job up north

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.