Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Verdi Requiem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    has anyone played (or know of) the piece?

it's amazing.... I've just come back from a concentrated weekend music course, where we learnt to play, then performed two back to back concerts :eek:

I'm now completely shattered..... my right arm doesn't want to move anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

it's amazing.... I've just come back from a concentrated weekend music course, where we learnt to play, then performed two back to back concerts :eek:

Learned to play? Then performed concerts? Erm, slightly confused.

ReputationRep:
    oops, it was my euphoria at having completed the course

we learnt to play the Requiem (starting on Friday night) over the weekend, and it culminated in two performances today, the latter of which finished about an hour ago.

is that better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

Having seen you perform the said work this afternoon, I can confirm that it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!

Nice to meet you btw, 4Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    oops, it was my euphoria at having completed the course

we learnt to play the Requiem (starting on Friday night) over the weekend, and it culminated in two performances today, the latter of which finished about an hour ago.

is that better?
    Much. So I presume your quite proficient with your instrument? Violin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curiosity)
    Much. So I presume your quite proficient with your instrument? Violin?
    lol, how'd u guess the instrument!

well, there are alot of ppl better than myself, and loads of bits i couldn't play, but i blagged my way through the concert anyway

(Original post by Eeyore)
    Having seen you perform the said work this afternoon, I can confirm that it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!

Nice to meet you btw, 4Ed
    the same to you.... it was such a shame u couldn't play in it... we desperately needed more violas, and on a personal level, it would have been great fun having u in the sectionals etc as well.

ReputationRep:
    Not as keen myself... Think Verdi found himself a great tune (Dies Ire) and then proceeded to flog it to death. Some of the slow bits in the middle (lacrimosa excluded) are fairly mediocre. Give me the Mozart anyday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    Not as keen myself... Think Verdi found himself a great tune (Dies Ire) and then proceeded to flog it to death. Some of the slow bits in the middle (lacrimosa excluded) are fairly mediocre. Give me the Mozart anyday!
    Motzart has a requiem?

EDIT: Whoops, nearly forgot, yeah he does, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curiosity)
    Motzart has a requiem?

EDIT: Whoops, nearly forgot, yeah he does, my bad.
    You *forgot* that Mozart has a requiem???! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    You *forgot* that Mozart has a requiem???! :eek:
    Unforgivable, I know, I shall leave and repent my sin against music.

ReputationRep:
    I know bugger all about music, so I can't really be involved in the whole musical discussion thing, but I did sing in a choir with my school in year 7 and we, with another local school and some local orchestra, performed Verdi's Requiem at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon. I enjoyed it.

...Though the trip to Chessington World of Adventures for all girls who took part may have been a major factor in my decision to join in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

I love it, though I've not heard it in ages I'm afraid. Not many cds last a house fire I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I probably know the piece, I can't remember how it goes right now though. Shame on me

I can do a bit of viola, but I'm more of a 2nd desk violinist who has found a way to sit at the 1st desk for another instrument in the orchestra. No disrespect to good viola players of course, it just happened that my school had a serious viola player drought .

Where was this course? I might have been interested...

Oh, and Sire that does sound pretty bad...unlucky.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.