Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know of any gorgeous universities in the UK that offer Chemistry undergraduate? I find that my surroundings really help me focus and can't wait to study at a place that has a historical feel. St Andrews is an example of a uni I find pretty, if that helps anyone.

also, p.s. please don't say it's dumb to value the aesthetics of a uni, obviously the course content is majorly important to me as well lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Oxford, Cambridge, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Durham, St Andrews and Aberdeen all have pretty gothic buildings.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has a lovely lake and a grade II listed building, and is very green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janetmbabirye)
    does anyone know of any gorgeous universities in the UK that offer Chemistry undergraduate? I find that my surroundings really help me focus and can't wait to study at a place that has a historical feel. St Andrews is an example of a uni I find pretty, if that helps anyone.

also, p.s. please don't say it's dumb to value the aesthetics of a uni, obviously the course content is majorly important to me as well lol
    I looked at the 'pretty buildings' too don't worry

Cardiff, Bangor and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and Cambridge, if you want guaranteed beauty. I also feel the need to go somewhere aesthetically outstanding; you're not alone!

As the others gave said, Durham and of course Oxford and Cambridge are pretty. I'm not sure what Bath uni itself if like, but it's literally right next door to Bath which is one of the most beautiful cities in England that I have ever visited. It has a Cathedral, lots of history, old Roman Baths, museums (and a Jane Austen centre!).

ReputationRep:
    I hear bath is beautiful. But stay away from any London unis of you want something aesthetically pleasing. Especially Queen Marys.

(Original post by emiloujess)
    I looked at the 'pretty buildings' too don't worry Cardiff, Bangor and Birmingham.
    Doesn't Cardiff also have a prison that's like a 10 min walk from the uni though?

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking for pretty buildings or surrounding scenery?

Many of the unis that are supposedly pretty tend to have just 1 or 2 buildings that are pretty while the rest are your usual utilitarian built buildings. Some very old buildings are just that it may be old and pretty on the outside but it can also be old and nasty on the inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    I hear bath is beautiful. But stay away from any London unis of you want something aesthetically pleasing. Especially Queen Marys.

Doesn't Cardiff also have a prison that's like a 10 min walk from the uni though?
    So does RHUL and Durham, your point?

It's my firm and I'm completely in love with it.

Warwick University has numerous lovely spots, it was voted the number 1 campus university in the UK, but also it is a place of academic excellence.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Oxford, Cambridge, Bath and Durhman.

You'll notice a lot of the Russell group unis are the ones that are "pretty" as they tend to be fairly old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    Definitely Oxford, Cambridge, Bath and Durhman.
    You'll notice a lot of the Russell group unis are the ones that are "pretty" as they tend to be fairly old
    Bath University is not old, nor pretty, but the city is. Nor is it Russell Group, for the sake of completeness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Bath University is not old, nor pretty, but the city is. Nor is it Russell Group, for the sake of completeness.
    Never said Bath was old. Never did I also say it was a Russell group uni. I was simply stating what unis I think are pretty in MY opinion and then added how most Russell group unis tend to be old unis hence most are seen as pretty due to their buildings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    Never said Bath was old. Never did I also say it was a Russell group uni. I was simply stating what unis I think are pretty in MY opinion and then added how most Russell group unis tend to be old unis hence most are seen as pretty due to their buildings
    The list in your first sentence appeared to be linked with the statement in your second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    So does RHUL and Durham, your point?

It's my firm and I'm completely in love with it.
    Good for you.

It's still a bad thing though. It was another thing that made me dislike the uni. Plus when I visited, the uni didn't look that pretty anyway. Idk what you saw that made you put it in a top 3.

ReputationRep:
    Greenwich is really pretty, so is the University of Surrey (it's pretty green out there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    Good for you.

It's still a bad thing though. It was another thing that made me dislike the uni. Plus when I visited, the uni didn't look that pretty anyway. Idk what you saw that made you put it in a top 3.
    I guess different people like different things. I love Wales in general so that may have been a part of it

ReputationRep:
    York is the prettiest city you will ever visit.

The university, on the other hand, is a brutalist abomination.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.