Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from these 3 universities(In the title) and I would certainly welcome a second opinion about my choice. I am leaning to Surrey because of their advanced labs and good campus. Also Cardiff University is a member of the Russel group, consequently I wanted to ask to what extent does it matter after graduating(Career-wise).

P.S: All I care about is the academic view point of this issue, Accommodation/Student life/Tuition is not my concern.

Any remark or opinion is highly valuable! Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got admission from three of these schools too but didnt have a second thought on choosing royal holloway.
    They are the pioneer of information security msc and started as far back as 1992.
    I have noticed that most of their students who graduate with distinction go on to become known in the Industry, they get opportunity to give talks on their own thesis at events organised by ISACA and ISC2

I have also noticed that a lot of IT security experts who are already in the industry go to the school for their info security MSC or PHD.

These are the reasons it was easy for me to choose this school. will be nice to have you as a study mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drewmunor)
    Hi, I got admission from three of these schools too but didnt have a second thought on choosing royal holloway.
    They are the pioneer of information security msc and started as far back as 1992.
    I have noticed that most of their students who graduate with distinction go on to become known in the Industry, they get opportunity to give talks on their own thesis at events organised by ISACA and ISC2

I have also noticed that a lot of IT security experts who are already in the industry go to the school for their info security MSC or PHD.

These are the reasons it was easy for me to choose this school. will be nice to have you as a study mate.
    Thank you for your reply drewmunor, I am well aware of the level of the course at RHUL also the achievements they have, especially the GCHQ certification, but I am going for the taught course rather than research. I don't know if that is relevant to my choice. If I chose RHUL I will surely contact you! Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is a 100% taught course. As a matter of fact assessment method is 100% exam, this is quite challenging but the beauty of it is that you will also have to study hard if you are to come out with good grades. Studying hard means developing a new set of skills which is needed in the Industry.

I am currently looking for students in the course who are highly motivated, as a distinction will place one highly in the Industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drewmunor)
    Yes this is a 100% taught course. As a matter of fact assessment method is 100% exam, this is quite challenging but the beauty of it is that you will also have to study hard if you are to come out with good grades. Studying hard means developing a new set of skills which is needed in the Industry.

I am currently looking for students in the course who are highly motivated, as a distinction will place one highly in the Industry.
    It is good to know that the course is 100% taught, though I may disagree with you regarding hard work. The grading criteria being 100% exam-based is challenging as you said, also would require studying hard, but in my opinion the most important factor for success in this field of work is persistence and self learning as well as adapting to the latest technologies out there. Though studying hard will surely earn you a high grade and maybe land a good job, however, in the end all what matters is your work, and you can be good at it even if you have average grades. Also to add to your argument, our brain is merely a muscle that will get stronger as we practice with it, so studying hard would implicitly make you smarter and more lenient in the material. I think that is what you meant by set of skills.

But in todays world, we can't get high in the industry without having a *spark*, which in most case is distinction, IV-league university or a recommendation from someone important.

I have researched a lot about the program in RHUL and I think I will firm it by the end of this week.

ReputationRep:
    You are totally right my friend.
    are you resident in the UK or an international student?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.