Do you think race is a social construct or biological? Watch

gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Not sure if this is in the right place..

I believe race could be a social construct and a way to distinguish people. There's no specific gene that's synonymous to a particular "race" and any physical differences are usually as a result of cultural differences and from centuries past.

I'm curious to know your opinions on this!
34908seikj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course it's biological

Black people are genetically black, like asians are genetically asian looking, as are white / caucasian people.
Dr.Snake
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Social. People dont really care what skin colour you are but what the skin colour is associated with
EuanF
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It isn't society that gives black people different DNA to Caucasians
Crassy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are genes that contribute to specific phenotypes that can be recognised as what we call different races. The "social construct" argument is a matter of semantics.
Kryptonian
Badges: 9
Report 2 years ago
Race is NOT biological. It is a social construct. There is no gene or cluster of genes common to all blacks or all whites. Were race “real” in the genetic sense, racial classifications for individuals would remain constant across boundaries.
BristolFresher15
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Probably social.

I may be wrong, but I haven't heard of other animals segregating themselves by phenotypical variation.
gapyear2018
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by EuanF)
It isn't society that gives black people different DNA to Caucasians
Everyone has different DNA though- even people within the same race
oShahpo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The question doesn't make sense, as biology is indeed what makes a white person white and a black person black. If, however, you mean to ask whether there are differences between races beyond appearance, I simply don't know. I reckon there might be differences, but only due to the geological separation of the races. If all the races were allowed to mix and live in a similar area, I reckon overtime the differences will fade, but then again I know nothing about the issue.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dr.Snake)
Social. People dont really care what skin colour you are but what the skin colour is associated with
How could it be anything but biological? White/Black/Asian people clearly have slightly different genes, hence the (obvious) difference in appearance.

Any association, regardless of what those associations are, doesn't have any bearing on what race a person actually is.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a very complicated question because the meaning of 'race', 'social construct' and 'biological' are all misunderstood by most.
Mango Milkshake
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are biological differences between races. Anyone saying social is in denial.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
Not sure if this is in the right place..

I believe race to be a social construct and a way to distinguish people. There's no specific gene that's synonymous to a particular "race" and any physical differences are usually as a result of cultural differences from centuries past.

I'm curious to know your opinions on this!
Biological obviously, someone can't change the concentration of melanin in their skin anymore than you can change gender
Dr.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JRKinder)
How could it be anything but biological? White/Black/Asian people clearly have slightly different genes, hence the (obvious) difference in appearance.

Any association, regardless of what those associations are, doesn't have any bearing on what race a person actually is.
From wiki:
Race, as a social construct, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics, as well as shared cultural practices and affectations.
ErniePicks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Obviously biological, anyone saying otherwise is delusional using made up bs.

Cannot wait for the culling of this new tumblr ideology
Dr.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mango Milkshake)
There are biological differences between races. Anyone saying social is in denial.
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Biological obviously, someone can't change the concentration of melanin in their skin anymore than you can change gender
by the 17th century race began to refer to physical (i.e. phenotypical) traits. The term was often used in a general biological taxonomic sense,[7] starting from the 19th century, to denote genetically differentiated humanpopulations defined by phenotype.

You got corrected by the internet
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
by the 17th century race began to refer to physical (i.e. phenotypical) traits. The term was often used in a general biological taxonomic sense,[7] starting from the 19th century, to denote genetically differentiated humanpopulations defined by phenotype.

You got corrected by the internet
So are you denying that the differences between races are down to biological (i.e: genetic) factors?

This just proves our point.
Dr.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So are you denying that the differences between races are down to biological (i.e: genetic) factors?

I meant to say it can be both
Dr.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

First part of the paragraph

Race, as a social construct, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics, as well as shared cultural practices and affectations.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I meant to say it can be both
How so? If race is a social construct in addition to a biological one, can you, with all the best will in the world, change your genes to become a black person like you can change your social class by earning more money and doing a different job? No, you can't. Therefore race is a purely biological thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.69%
The paper was reasonable (1176)
54.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (469)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (182)
8.4%

Watched Threads