The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Name: Sophie

Course: Philosophy Politics and Economics

Universities: Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Kings College London and St. Andrew (international relations and Philosophy)

GCSE grades: 10A*s 2As

AS grades (achieved): AAAB

A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A* and A* EPQ

Offers: None yet!
Course: Mathematics
Where? Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Surrey, one of Bristol/Manchester/Nottingham
AS grades+Subjects: Maths A, Further Maths A, Spanish A
A2 Predicted/Achieved: Maths A* (achieved), Further Maths A* (predicted), Spanish A* (predicted)
Offers? Surrey :smile:
Name: Daniel
Location: Peterborough (village of Yaxley just outside P'boro, to be precise)
Course: English/English Literature/English Literature with Creative Writing
Universities: York (English), UEA (English Literature), Surrey (English Literature with Creative Writing), Essex (English Literature), Reading (English Literature)
GCSE Grades: 2A*, 8A, 2B
AS Grades (Achieved): ABB (Geography, Business Studies, English Literature)
A2 Grades (Predicted): AAB (Business Studies, Geography, English Literature)
Offers?: Sent out application on Friday (07/10/16), no offers yet (I've had acknowledgement emails from all other than Reading). Hoping for offers from all 5, but only expecting 4 as York will probably reject me with my predicted grades
Original post by prostheticzeta
Woah, small world! Just looked on your profile and see you're from TDA, I went to Ken Stimpson haha!
Good luck with applying to university :biggrin:

Yeah, small world! I'm in final year at TDA (obviously) but it didn't occur to me I'd see other Peterborough people on here!
I'm determined to get out of Peterborough. I can't stand the city tbh, nor the prospect of seeing a load of Peterborough people. I mean, my job is here, as are my family, but that and school are all that's tying me here.
Original post by Atavistic
Name: Daniel
Location: Peterborough (village of Yaxley just outside P'boro, to be precise)
Course: English/English Literature/English Literature with Creative Writing
Universities: York (English), UEA (English Literature), Surrey (English Literature with Creative Writing), Essex (English Literature), Reading (English Literature)
GCSE Grades: 2A*, 8A, 2B
AS Grades (Achieved): ABB (Geography, Business Studies, English Literature)
A2 Grades (Predicted): AAB (Business Studies, Geography, English Literature)
Offers?: Sent out application on Friday (07/10/16), no offers yet (I've had acknowledgement emails from all other than Reading). Hoping for offers from all 5, but only expecting 4 as York will probably reject me with my predicted grades

That sounds awesome! I'm applying to UEA too - good luck with the offers!! :smile: I hope you get into somewhere you want!
Original post by eruditeprincess
That sounds awesome! I'm applying to UEA too - good luck with the offers!! :smile: I hope you get into somewhere you want!

Thanks! I'd be happy to get into any of my five, but I'm particularly hopeful about UEA as it's as good a chance as I'm likely to get to be able to live back in Norwich again anytime soon (born in Norwich but moved to Peterborough at a very young age). What course are you applying for at UEA?
Original post by Atavistic
Thanks! I'd be happy to get into any of my five, but I'm particularly hopeful about UEA as it's as good a chance as I'm likely to get to be able to live back in Norwich again anytime soon (born in Norwich but moved to Peterborough at a very young age). What course are you applying for at UEA?

Society, Culture and Media.
UEA is close enough to Peterborough for me I feel independent, and is one of the closest I'm applying for. Plus the course looks really good and I like the uni and its atmosphere - I went to a June open day and loved it and the vibe.
Original post by sophie_armstrong
Name: Sophie

Course: Philosophy Politics and Economics

Universities: Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Kings College London and St. Andrew (international relations and Philosophy)

GCSE grades: 10A*s 2As

AS grades (achieved): AAAB

A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A* and A* EPQ

Offers: None yet!

Hi :smile: also applied to both Oxford and Durham (for Chinese studies), which colleges did you choose?
Course: PPE / Econ, Politics and IR
Universities: St. Andrews, Oxford, Durham, KCL, Exeter, NCH(direct application)
GCSE grades: 4 A*s, 5 As, 1 B
AS grades (predicted/achieved): ICT-A (taken instead of GCSE), Physics-B
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Econ-A*, History-A*, Maths-A
Extra curricular: MUN, senior debating, econ. soc., history soc., random school teams and inter-house competitions, school theatre productions
Other: Work experience in banking and real estate law, 2 month internship at an asset management firm in central london, academic scholar
(edited 7 years ago)
UEA is close enough to Peterborough for me I feel independent, and is one of the closest I'm applying for. Plus the course looks really good and I like the uni and its atmosphere - I went to a June open day and loved it and the vibe.

Speaking from experience it's a great course. Feel free to head to the UEA sub-forum to ask us any questions about the university!
Original post by University of East Anglia
Speaking from experience it's a great course. Feel free to head to the UEA sub-forum to ask us any questions about the university!

How do you feel about your university's reputation as being the University of Easy Access?
Original post by richardhello
How do you feel about your university's reputation as being the University of Easy Access?

Far from easy! As you will see from our requirements listed online, we have some very competitive requirements, we ask for AAB or above in many of our courses with with the exception of courses like the Foundation Year courses.

The stats speak for themselves - we're a Top 15 university (Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2017), Top 5 for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2016) and within the World Top 100 for research excellence (Leiden Ranking 2016). We're very happy about that!
Name: Jas
Course: Law
Where: Durham (LOL), York (LOL), Liverpool, Sheffield and either Warwick or Birmingham
AS: C for psychology and doing a BTEC so no grades
A2: Predicted D* D for Business and B for psychology

My best friend has gone to UEA to do this course lol! She got in with BCC (AAB predicted) even though the entry requirements were AAB/ABB, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting in :smile:
Course: Psychology
Universities: Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool John Moores (had to abandon York), Nottingham Trent, and Manchester Metropolitan (I can already feel the judging :colone:).
GCSE Grades: Alright, but nothing like 9 A*'s.
A-Level Predicted Grades: Not doing A-Levels
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science/Forensics Predicted Grades: Something terrible, after last years performance. :s-smilie:
Offers: Liverpool John Moores-took one day to respond. :h: 112 UCAS points needed.
Sheffield-TBC
Sheffield Hallam-took 2 days to respond. :smile: 120 UCAS points needed.
Nottingham Trent-took 4 days to respond. :tongue: 112 UCAS points needed. Alternative offer: Psychology with Criminology.
Manchester Metropolitan-took 5 days to respond. :redface: 112 UCAS points needed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Name: Rachel
Course: Mathematics and Statistics / or just Mathematics
Where: Loughborough, Leeds, Leicester, Sheffield
AS Grades: A- Maths A-Geography B-Sociology
A2 Predicted: 3A's
Applied on 9/10/16
Offers? fmjkfickddjgnddn pleeeeaaase send me one soon so I don't feel like a failure uuugghhh

(Update): I got an offer from Loughborough for AAA for mathematics and statistics! :biggrin: now lets wait another half a century for the rest to role in :':wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to say, according to this poll, more than 80% of applicants eventually receive four or more offers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4321806
I just got a conditional offer of BBB from Bristol to study cellular & molecular medicine, original requirements were AAB. I'm quite a happy bunny right now :biggrin:
Original post by prostheticzeta
My best friend has gone to UEA to do this course lol! She got in with BCC (AAB predicted) even though the entry requirements were AAB/ABB, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting in :smile:

Does she think it is good so far?
I'm only worrying because that makes it easier for me to process the 'I'm applying to uni' thing at the moment!
Reply 339
Course: Politics & International Relations

Universities: Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, SOAS and Loughborough

GCSE grades: 1 A*, 5 As, 4 Bs

AS grades (predicted/achieved): AABC in Politics, History, Biology, Chemistry respectively

A2 grades (predicted/achieved): predicted A*AB Politics, History, Bio.

Extra curricular: Tutor for GCSE kids, Voluntary work, Politics society event organiser, Int. relations summer school.

Other: Sent off app on 10/10. No offers yet but acknowledgements from Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham all in less than 24 hrs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending