The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jazz_xox_
Does anyone know if I would still have a good chance at Oxford doing just 3 subjects in both my first and second year at sixth form?

Don't see why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Don't see why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they only require 3 but everyone on TSR seems to have 4+, so do you not think it would disadvantage me?
I know they only require 3 but everyone on TSR seems to have 4+, so do you not think it would disadvantage me?

They say that it doesn't matter to them whether you have 3 or 4+, they make offers for 3 grades. It'd be better to take 3 and meet that offer than take 4 and miss out.
Original post by CatusStarbright
They say that it doesn't matter to them whether you have 3 or 4+, they make offers for 3 grades. It'd be better to take 3 and meet that offer than take 4 and miss out.

Okay thank you, do you think this even for not having an AS level? Like just doing 3 subjects from day one at sixth form
Reply 64
just sent off my penultimate postgraduate application*

It really doesn't disadvantage you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you, do you think this even for not having an AS level? Like just doing 3 subjects from day one at sixth form

Due to changes to linear qualifications, this is becoming ever more common. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on the good grades!
Lovely thread @ImagineCats! I've stickied it for you :biggrin:

Good luck with your applications everyone! You'll all have a fantastic time at uni :woo:
Hey I have waited a long time to participate in one of these threads.
The grading system in France is different so with grades and stuff it is too long to explain.

Name: Ijeoma
Course: Popular Music
Offers: Falmouth University, University of Kent, Southampton Solent University, Manchester Met uni, Bimm (haven't applied yet)
Original post by Fox Corner
Lovely thread @ImagineCats! I've stickied it for you :biggrin:

Good luck with your applications everyone! You'll all have a fantastic time at uni :woo:

Thank you!! Yay I feel important :tongue:
Name: James Burton
Course: Computer Science
Where? Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester and Lancaster
AS grades+Subjects: New Specification A-Level Physics (No grade) / A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics both A.
A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*A*A
Offers? In the process of sending UCAS application
Registered with UCAS today, cannot wait to start applying! Hope to have everything sent off first week in October :biggrin:
Original post by GeorgeB16
Registered with UCAS today, cannot wait to start applying! Hope to have everything sent off first week in October :biggrin:

Planning to send mine off by the Oxbridge deadline so I get my offers as soon as possible and can make up my mind :colondollar:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Planning to send mine off by the Oxbridge deadline so I get my offers as soon as possible and can make up my mind :colondollar:

Just as an FYI, I did this but only heard back from UCL/Nottingham after 3 months and a month respectively. So it can be sporadic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Just as an FYI, I did this but only heard back from UCL/Nottingham after 3 months and a month respectively. So it can be sporadic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn that's slow. I'll make a fastest offer senders thread!
Made a fastest offer senders thread here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4319440
Name: Ben
Course: Education Studies/ Primary Education
Where? Middlesex, Brighton, Greenwich, and, Oxford Brookes
AS grades+Subjects: CoPE (Pass), Drama (D), General Studies (D), ICT (D), Media (D*)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: Drama (C), Cambridge Technicals in Business (D), Media (D*), General Studies (C)
Offers? Haven't Applied
(edited 7 years ago)
Name: Marie
Course: Law
Where? Warwick, LSE, King's, Nottingham, and undecided on last
AS grades+Subjects: AAABB in English Lit, History, Psychology, Biology, General Studies respectively (finished General in a year to A2, but since none of my unis count it, it seems useless now)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*A*A*A. Offers?
Not even reached my LNAT test date yet :biggrin::biggrin: But hopefully Warwick as first choice!

I emailed them back at the start of year 12 when I was considering dropping to three AS's, they said they need a fourth AS - not just Oxbridge, but pretty much every Russell (eventually decided Oxford wasn't for me so emailed the rest)

However there's loads of online courses etc where you can do an AS alongside you A2's so maybe something to look at? You could always take a subject you find really easy just to bring it to 4. Although I'm guessing if you're getting like A*A*A* they probably won't care
Original post by Harvey'sLaw
I emailed them back at the start of year 12 when I was considering dropping to three AS's, they said they need a fourth AS - not just Oxbridge, but pretty much every Russell (eventually decided Oxford wasn't for me so emailed the rest)

However there's loads of online courses etc where you can do an AS alongside you A2's so maybe something to look at? You could always take a subject you find really easy just to bring it to 4. Although I'm guessing if you're getting like A*A*A* they probably won't care

I'm not sure if it has changed now but I've emailed at least 5 unis and they said 3 AS is okay, sometimes they like an EPQ instead though. Thank you anyway:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest