The Student Room Group

Part time job at 1st year of University?

Hi, I'm not sure whether to get a part time job during my first year of University.. a lot of people say it will disrupt my social life during the 1st year but I also want to earn money too so I don't struggle during my 1st year. What do you guys think would be the best option?
Original post by riixx
Hi, I'm not sure whether to get a part time job during my first year of University.. a lot of people say it will disrupt my social life during the 1st year but I also want to earn money too so I don't struggle during my 1st year. What do you guys think would be the best option?

Look for something with some flexibility with hours so that you can cut down on them if you find you dont have enough spare time.
With a job you not only earn money but also valuable work experience :wink: (preferably you want to be working in some discipline that is relevant to what you're studying, it's hard but not impossible)
Original post by riixx

I'd wait until you get there, and look through your student union's job site. When I was at a brick uni there were loads of opportunities for short-term part-time work, e.g. a few hours a day for 2 working weeks typing up survey responses, or transcribing interviews etc. If you start with something like this, you'll be able to see how part-time work affects your social life, and judge whether the financial gain is worth it without any long-term commitments, and also get a few references under your belt :smile:
Original post by riixx
. I think if you've worked during college years and saved enough money you wouldn't need to . If you haven't worked during your years at college then get a part time job while studying.
Original post by riixx

I know of one person who spent all weekend working like 9-6 job and was tired to go out and stuff and I would say in my opinion that person doesnt have any close friends because of that. That being said you can do a few hours here and there and be fine just do it in moderation
I work 20+ hours a week and i manage fine with my studies and social life
Original post by riixx

Hello :-) ,

I think the best option is too look at your timetable for university and look at your free time and availability and look at your workload. See if you can afford to spare a few hours here and there for a part time job - then have a look around. Look at jobs with 0 hour contracts or specific times that you know you can work every week.

I've just got a job in my second year going into my third year that I'm able to work around my university schedule and my social life. It isn't impossible if you find the right job.

Best of luck!
Reply 8
Thank you all for the advice :smile: I think I will take up a part time job when I start in September, then I'd possibly start looking. I haven't really worked through my A-level years so I'd need the money when I'm there as I've got none saved :frown:(((( lmao! And also I wanted to know about how you can fit in work experience/voluntary work with your degree along with your paid job. It seems like a struggle but many people manage to do it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending