Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello, not sure if this appropriate use of anon but if it isn't please just de anon because I might be studying with people here soon and I don't want them to see this

I have a place on a gem course but recently I have been having doubts about whether this is even what I want to do. I am worried about the workload, I am also worried about the fact that I will be in my 30s by the time I start working and I am worried about moving out of a city I have lived in all my life to a rural campus university.

I have been working towards this for the best part of 3 years and I was so happy and excited and motivated when I got in. Before I had an offer I literally wanted this more than anything but for the past few weeks I have been so depressed and confused by these feelings of doubt. I should be happy now I don't even think not doing the course is a feasible option because my family would kill me and I don't know what else I would do

I feel so lost. I also don't think it's a good idea to embark on such a difficult and intense course when I am feeling like this because it is just going to set me up to fail. Anyone experienced these feelings? What should I do? Maybe I am just mourning what feels like the end of my youth

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello, not sure if this appropriate use of anon but if it isn't please just de anon because I might be studying with people here soon and I don't want them to see this

I have a place on a gem course but recently I have been having doubts about whether this is even what I want to do. I am worried about the workload, I am also worried about the fact that I will be in my 30s by the time I start working and I am worried about moving out of a city I have lived in all my life to a rural campus university.

I have been working towards this for the best part of 3 years and I was so happy and excited and motivated when I got in. Before I had an offer I literally wanted this more than anything but for the past few weeks I have been so depressed and confused by these feelings of doubt. I should be happy now I don't even think not doing the course is a feasible option because my family would kill me and I don't know what else I would do

I feel so lost. I also don't think it's a good idea to embark on such a difficult and intense course when I am feeling like this because it is just going to set me up to fail. Anyone experienced these feelings? What should I do? Maybe I am just mourning what feels like the end of my youth
    Sorry I meant don't de anon

ReputationRep:
    If you are not sure about medicine, do not do it. At the end of the day, your love for the job really has to make up for the time you will lose with your family and the relatively poor pay.

I am sure you know this but doing it for your family is a disastrous idea.

I know plenty of medics that regret their choice and they were sure they wanted to do it at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    However, I should add your reasons for being unsure are quite normal.

The workload is intense but GEM students (IMO) are generally the best motivated students and lower failure rates.

I can understand that you are worried about moving about but if you want to become a doctor then you should become accustomed to that as part of your job. I have been in 4 different places in the last 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in my personal view, if you've been working towards something for 3 years, then it would be pretty irrational to change your mind now because of how you've been feeling for only a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Well, in my personal view, if you've been working towards something for 3 years, then it would be pretty irrational to change your mind now because of how you've been feeling for only a few weeks.
    I agree with this. You're worried because medical school is no longer a far-off dream, it's finally becoming real and imminent and that's scary. Feeling this way is normal.

Accept that you may feel sucky for a while, work through it, and reassess once you're a few months into the course. Things will likely change a lot in that time

(Original post by Anonymous)

I had exactly the same feelings, similar situation to you but on a GEM now. Enjoying it, workload is fine, no more than a decent job I think if you treat it like 9-5 like I do. The problem I have is weather I want the job at the end with the way things are going in the NHS. But course wise, busy but totally manageable

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be daft to give up before you've even started the course. Moving away from the area you were brought up in is just a rite of passage for most people with a degree. Think positive and re-evaluate at Christmas. As a graduate you should cope with the workload better than someone younger going straight from school.

Don't change your mind, and don't back out now
    100's of other people missed out on that place you were given, when you qualify you will still have 3 decades of contribution you can make and within that time you will be doing one of the most worthwhile, if not the most worthwhile job in existence.Sure the work will be tough, but that is because a doctor has the ability to save lives and make lives better, a skill that others depend on, were it not for people like you who strived to make a difference then we would not be in the place we are today!

You really need to put your doubts to the back of your mind and focus on the present, there are many books on the subject but you don't need to read any to understand the concept; what you are doing in predicting the future and risking creating a self fulfilling prophecy of negativity.Again, yes the work is tough, but eventually things will settle down and life will unravel in a way that is unanticipated and pleasing, as opposed to predictable and mundane

ReputationRep:
    Feelings and emotions are temporary. I'm in med school and I've had moments where I didn't want to do this, trust me lots of people have but these feelings are temporary.

You've worked hard to put yourself in the position you are in now, don't throw it away just because you feel a certain way. Start med school, at least do the first semester and see how it is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.