Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Structured learning is boring, who agrees with me?

ReputationRep:
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this sounds cliche but thats the reason why you need to make sure you choose what you like in a level. If you know it will definitely not interest you, you should never choose it in the first place. I chose science courses not really minding it but now i feel like it has become more interesting as i have started to enjoy it morr. However if i have chosen something i hate then it is guaranteed that it will be hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know this sounds cliche but thats the reason why you need to make sure you choose what you like in a level. If you know it will definitely not interest you, you should never choose it in the first place. I chose science courses not really minding it but now i feel like it has become more interesting as i have started to enjoy it morr. However if i have chosen something i hate then it is guaranteed that it will be hell.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fish40)
    In a certain agree, I do: Whenever I have learnt something about a topic what is so much interesting and would go on with it, but I can't because the lesson plan prevents it, yes in this point of view structured learning may demotivating. Not boring, but demotivating.*

However, it is so much important to give it a clear structure to learn the relevant topics for deeper understanding, even if it gets boring for the most sometimes. *

(Original post by Fish40)
    I actually found A-levels to be much more interesting than GCSEs because there was so much scope for independent learning. Yes, if you just stick to what you're taught in class, it's incredibly dull. But, if you go off and do your own research it makes the whole thing almost fun.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Platopus)
    (...) Yes, if you just stick to what you're taught in class, it's incredibly dull. But, if you go off and do your own research it makes the whole thing almost fun.
    Yeah, that is quite familar to me: Whenever I did not get a satisfying answer or I was interest in get to know more about a topic, I was looking for people who had a clue because of their profession. If teaching in class is dull and not interesting, I am looking for a surrounding where it is interesting. *

ReputationRep:
    I disagree-
    What else could I be doing with lots of unstructured time that would be of value?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I found at a level I found what I actually enjoyed doing and what I thought was a good a level to take.
    Some subjects I found a greater passion for and became more interested in but some subjects I grew to loathe and couldn't wait to be rid of after finishing my a levels. Just my experience but this is what happened for me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    but you can do EPQ
    less structured?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    nope?
    ok bye :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its boring but I definitely think its difficult. You have to remember a lot of information in detail, you have to write a lot of stuff down and structure essays in new ways and all of this in a short period of time.

ReputationRep:
    I <3 structure though

ReputationRep:
    Disagree.

I learn far more by sitting and listening to the teacher than I ever would writing PowerPoint presentations for something like a BTEC
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    Disagree.

I learn far more by sitting and listening to the teacher than I ever would writing PowerPoint presentations for something like a BTEC
    If the teachers are capable of explaining the topics understandable and interesting (better: even to refer to the meanings in our everyday or working life!), so it may even the best method of learning. But if teachers are teaching just to kill time, it is the worst. Unfortunately, I had some of those teachers before home schooling.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I think it comes down to subject content and teaching delivery.

I liked or shall I say, I preferred my AS level to my A2 level. All the modules at A2 bored me to death even though I never changed teachers apart from one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I think it comes down to subject content and teaching delivery.

I liked or shall I say, I preferred my AS level to my A2 level. All the modules at A2 bored me to death even though I never changed teachers apart from one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.