Any musicians out there Watch

S.Defc123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone
so about 3 weeks ago I bought myself a gutair and I've been trying to learn it. Im really struggling because I've started learning songs of tab and no chords or nothing like that. I know I've ****ed up but like I'm really into my music and would love to make this work because I would love to be able to play properly some day. Can anyone guide me asif I'm starting fresh again I just want to do it properly
Cheers everyone
Babybeaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Search for tutorials on YouTube, you can look for specific songs or search for basic chord tutorials you will pick it up in no time if you are prepared to put the hours in and loose all feeling in your fingers! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anne Dagenhart
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,
I've been playing the guitar for three and a half years now and I've got fairly good at it. From my personal experience, you can do fine with online tutorials, but the safest way would be learning from a guitar teacher of your style of music.
Why safest? Because with online tutorials you can only copy and mimic, but you don't get any feedback. So you are prone to bad habits or incorrect play styles (I personally have extremely cringy facial expressions when I play strenuously, still working on it). Moreover, the time it takes to get over those bad habits is terribly long. All in all, get a good teacher if you can.
Additional note: this is only necessary if you are serious about learning, if you're playing it as a hobby then online videos will suffice.
Anyway, good luck!
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Join a club if there's one in your area. Or if you have any friends willing to teach you? You only really need to learn some basic chords to get you going.
SalazarSlytherin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
DW, I can play most songs and improv a bit and know one scale and 5 chord shapes. I'll record something in a few mins

https://clyp.it/netunhc2

https://clyp.it/g1plwxcd
BlueBlizzard
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey

I learnt the guitar myself, and I can play pretty well, if I may say so myself. You mentioned that you're really into music... Does this mean you already play an instrument?
Joe1996
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm also trying to learn guitar, I can do a few chords and stuff but I'm finding it difficult to get the strumming pattern and switching between chords down

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlueBlizzard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joe1996)
I'm also trying to learn guitar, I can do a few chords and stuff but I'm finding it difficult to get the strumming pattern and switching between chords down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chuck the strumming pattern for the moment, or do blank strums (mute the string with your non-dominant hand, while you strum with the dominant.)

Yeah, switching between chords... Everybody finds that difficult. Just keep practising and have a good reason or purpose in mind, like a good song (Most songs have 4 chords). So, play the song on YouTube, iTunes or your phone... and play maybe 2 chords at the right time, and try to master that chord progression. Then try 3 chords, and move on to 4. Try different songs though, so that you get a feel of all the chords.

Good luck!
Joe1996
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by raniafern)
Chuck the strumming pattern for the moment, or do blank strums (mute the string with your non-dominant hand, while you strum with the dominant.)

Yeah, switching between chords... Everybody finds that difficult. Just keep practising and have a good reason or purpose in mind, like a good song (Most songs have 4 chords). So, play the song on YouTube, iTunes or your phone... and play maybe 2 chords at the right time, and try to master that chord progression. Then try 3 chords, and move on to 4. Try different songs though, so that you get a feel of all the chords.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlueBlizzard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joe1996)
Thanks for the tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm more a lyricist

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2379043
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by S.Defc123)
Hey everyone
so about 3 weeks ago I bought myself a gutair and I've been trying to learn it. Im really struggling because I've started learning songs of tab and no chords or nothing like that. I know I've ****ed up but like I'm really into my music and would love to make this work because I would love to be able to play properly some day. Can anyone guide me asif I'm starting fresh again I just want to do it properly
Cheers everyone
I recommend JustinGuitar.com do the beginners course and you'll be playing songs in no time

Also tabs off ultimate guitar to spur you on by playing your own songs. Although I recommend reading the comments as some tabs are not accurate

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%