Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    so about 3 weeks ago I bought myself a gutair and I've been trying to learn it. Im really struggling because I've started learning songs of tab and no chords or nothing like that. I know I've ****ed up but like I'm really into my music and would love to make this work because I would love to be able to play properly some day. Can anyone guide me asif I'm starting fresh again I just want to do it properly
    Cheers everyone

ReputationRep:
    Search for tutorials on YouTube, you can look for specific songs or search for basic chord tutorials you will pick it up in no time if you are prepared to put the hours in and loose all feeling in your fingers! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I've been playing the guitar for three and a half years now and I've got fairly good at it. From my personal experience, you can do fine with online tutorials, but the safest way would be learning from a guitar teacher of your style of music.
    Why safest? Because with online tutorials you can only copy and mimic, but you don't get any feedback. So you are prone to bad habits or incorrect play styles (I personally have extremely cringy facial expressions when I play strenuously, still working on it). Moreover, the time it takes to get over those bad habits is terribly long. All in all, get a good teacher if you can.
    Additional note: this is only necessary if you are serious about learning, if you're playing it as a hobby then online videos will suffice.
    Anyway, good luck!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Join a club if there's one in your area. Or if you have any friends willing to teach you? You only really need to learn some basic chords to get you going.

ReputationRep:
    DW, I can play most songs and improv a bit and know one scale and 5 chord shapes. I'll record something in a few mins

https://clyp.it/netunhc2

https://clyp.it/g1plwxcd

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I learnt the guitar myself, and I can play pretty well, if I may say so myself. You mentioned that you're really into music... Does this mean you already play an instrument?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also trying to learn guitar, I can do a few chords and stuff but I'm finding it difficult to get the strumming pattern and switching between chords down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe1996)
    I'm also trying to learn guitar, I can do a few chords and stuff but I'm finding it difficult to get the strumming pattern and switching between chords down

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chuck the strumming pattern for the moment, or do blank strums (mute the string with your non-dominant hand, while you strum with the dominant.)

Yeah, switching between chords... Everybody finds that difficult. Just keep practising and have a good reason or purpose in mind, like a good song (Most songs have 4 chords). So, play the song on YouTube, iTunes or your phone... and play maybe 2 chords at the right time, and try to master that chord progression. Then try 3 chords, and move on to 4. Try different songs though, so that you get a feel of all the chords.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Chuck the strumming pattern for the moment, or do blank strums (mute the string with your non-dominant hand, while you strum with the dominant.)

Yeah, switching between chords... Everybody finds that difficult. Just keep practising and have a good reason or purpose in mind, like a good song (Most songs have 4 chords). So, play the song on YouTube, iTunes or your phone... and play maybe 2 chords at the right time, and try to master that chord progression. Then try 3 chords, and move on to 4. Try different songs though, so that you get a feel of all the chords.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe1996)
    Thanks for the tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm more a lyricist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Defc123)
    Hey everyone
    so about 3 weeks ago I bought myself a gutair and I've been trying to learn it. Im really struggling because I've started learning songs of tab and no chords or nothing like that. I know I've ****ed up but like I'm really into my music and would love to make this work because I would love to be able to play properly some day. Can anyone guide me asif I'm starting fresh again I just want to do it properly
    Cheers everyone
    I recommend JustinGuitar.com do the beginners course and you'll be playing songs in no time

Also tabs off ultimate guitar to spur you on by playing your own songs. Although I recommend reading the comments as some tabs are not accurate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.