Turn on thread page Beta

Educating a football novice watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I feel like I'm missing out on the comradery of watching matches at a sports bar or whatever. I am somewhat interested but it's always off-putting because once ppl start talking about players and transfers and tactics, my ignorance shows.

I'll watch games when my housemates aren't around if I've nothing else to do but once they arrive with their 6 packs, I'll skitter.

What's an efficient way for one to get better acquainted with the sport? It's not exactly feasible for me to read through 10 years of sport sections of newspapers. Say I was your girlfriend, would there be a football for dummies-esqe book you'd point me in the direction of?

Cheers lads

ReputationRep:
    Similar to learning about any new interest area: the best way is not to force it.

Dont try and pretend you are very knowledgable, but just start to join in with football conversations, and selectively look up knowledge that you dont know..

Your watching a game, the comentator says something you dont understand.. quick google, problem solved.

The football forum on here is a good place to start.. especially if you want to start learning in an engaged / social way, but you dont want to do it in person.

(be warned, its a bit of a chaotic ****-storm of a forum with a lot of off-topic stuff, but its a good place just to get involved)

I remember getting into football when I was 18.. googling the difference between the premier league, and the FA cup.. and reading wiki articles on different competitions etc. 7 years later Id say my football knowledge is pretty solid, even if I am a little out of touch these days, as I cant watch as much as I used too.

Do you support a club?

ReputationRep:
    ngl I read that as 'nonce' when I saw the thread title

ReputationRep:
    I learnt everything I know about football through Match magazine and FIFA when I was younger

ReputationRep:
    Play Football Manager.

ReputationRep:
    Watch MOTD.

Also there is that program, i think it is called The Premiership Years (?), it has a season of Premier League football each program as well as music and news, I love that little show.

Pick a club and support them.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty football fandom isn't something you can just pick up, it's nurtured from an early age watching great players scoring great goals in great tournaments, supporting a club and seeing players come and go, going to great games and not just watching them on the TV etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're a nice guy, but that display picture screams 'molester' ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    I'm sure you're a nice guy, but that display picture screams 'molester' ^
    Don't be jelly of the chiselled good looks and United supporter now. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    Don't be jelly of the chiselled good looks and United supporter now. :grin:
    You look like a smacked arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    You look like a smacked arse.
    Is that you in the display pic?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you would like to get in with the latest topics then id suggest you get an app like sky sports news and just read through the articles.

ReputationRep:
    It's Moh from Arsenal Fan TV hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    It's Moh from Arsenal Fan TV hahaha
    Who?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Premiership Years is a great shout for a quick round up of the last 20 odd years to see how the PL got to this point.

TBH though most lads football chat just resolves around stuff regurgitated from MOTD, so just watch that and have a read of the BBC Football site every day and you'll be able to hold your own most of the time. You'll pick up the basic tactical knowledge pretty sharpish, then if you want to get into it in more detail there's an absolute wealth of media out there to read/watch/absorb.

Football Manager would be a great way as well but that could end up ruining your life so approach with caution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I feel like I'm missing out on the comradery of watching matches at a sports bar or whatever. I am somewhat interested but it's always off-putting because once ppl start talking about players and transfers and tactics, my ignorance shows.

I'll watch games when my housemates aren't around if I've nothing else to do but once they arrive with their 6 packs, I'll skitter.

What's an efficient way for one to get better acquainted with the sport? It's not exactly feasible for me to read through 10 years of sport sections of newspapers. Say I was your girlfriend, would there be a football for dummies-esqe book you'd point me in the direction of?

Cheers lads
    It's not a difficult sport to understand. But if there are any rules you specifically don't understand, I'm sure there are youtube videos out there which explain all the rules and do so well.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Thank you all for your replies it gives me something to start with.

scriggy I think MOTD and BBC sports is a good shout. Cba to watch multiple games and I am used to reading news sites. Got an app reco?

Edit: I've downloaded the BBC sports app.

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It's not a difficult sport to understand. But if there are any rules you specifically don't understand, I'm sure there are youtube videos out there which explain all the rules and do so well.
    The rules are fine. I've understood them for years. It's more trivia about reputable goals, top players, transfer costs, strategies and other things.

Danny the Geezer How will football manager help?

I didn't have a TV growing up so didn't have the opportunity. I lost interest completely for some years and now just trying to broaden my horizons.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    fallen_acorns I guess I'm in a similar place to when you started.

Not entirely sure which global tournaments are knockout and which are points based, for example.

I live 5 minutes from man utd and prefer it when they win but don't deserve the fan title as I couldn't identify more than a few of their current lineup. When I was a kid, I recall David Beckham inspiring me to be a footballer when I grew up :getmecoat:.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.