Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

He didn't like me? Sad for my confidence, not him Watch

I met this guy online and we've been talking constantly for 3 months. At the time, I was out of the country, but I was always returning. We get on great - we have been on cam, play online games together, and have a lot in common. My self confidence is pretty low, and I would always send pictures of me at my 'worst' and would jokingly say 'you still want to meet me now?' and he would always be positive. He constantly reassured me that everything would be fine and we would be fine (he is a virgin and never had a girlfriend - I'm pretty inexperienced too but that's a confidence thing). I would always jokingly say that he might stop talking to me after we met, or hate me, and he said that this would never happen and he would have no reason to do this. If anything we have a deep enough bond to be very good friends in my opinion.

Anyway, I returned to the UK a week ago and we arranged to meet. We met, walked around and had something to eat. Conversation was fine, and when we had to part our ways he initiated a hug but it felt half-hearted, if that makes sense. He said how he was very nervous about meeting me, and so was I, so I don't know if this is nerves.

Anyway, I got home yesterday and never heard from him. He was active in Facebook chat once but I knew he was going out with friends last night. I'm quite a rash person so I don't want to say anything untoward. Should I just leave it for half a day and message him? Maybe he is wondering why I am not messaging but if a guy likes you enough he would instigate any kind of chat, since he has always been forthcoming in the past (prior to meeting).

I don't know what it is. I was never deceptive with my looks and my lack of self confidence makes it so that I constantly joke about self-deprecation. On reflection, I would not say the date was awkward, it's more the aftermath. I do like him but not enough to be sad over the potential souring of relations, I'm just sad for my self confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this guy online and we've been talking constantly for 3 months. At the time, I was out of the country, but I was always returning. We get on great - we have been on cam, play online games together, and have a lot in common. My self confidence is pretty low, and I would always send pictures of me at my 'worst' and would jokingly say 'you still want to meet me now?' and he would always be positive. He constantly reassured me that everything would be fine and we would be fine (he is a virgin and never had a girlfriend - I'm pretty inexperienced too but that's a confidence thing). I would always jokingly say that he might stop talking to me after we met, or hate me, and he said that this would never happen and he would have no reason to do this. If anything we have a deep enough bond to be very good friends in my opinion.

Anyway, I returned to the UK a week ago and we arranged to meet. We met, walked around and had something to eat. Conversation was fine, and when we had to part our ways he initiated a hug but it felt half-hearted, if that makes sense. He said how he was very nervous about meeting me, and so was I, so I don't know if this is nerves.

Anyway, I got home yesterday and never heard from him. He was active in Facebook chat once but I knew he was going out with friends last night. I'm quite a rash person so I don't want to say anything untoward. Should I just leave it for half a day and message him? Maybe he is wondering why I am not messaging but if a guy likes you enough he would instigate any kind of chat, since he has always been forthcoming in the past (prior to meeting).

I don't know what it is. I was never deceptive with my looks and my lack of self confidence makes it so that I constantly joke about self-deprecation. On reflection, I would not say the date was awkward, it's more the aftermath. I do like him but not enough to be sad over the potential souring of relations, I'm just sad for my self confidence.
    You should contact him, make the first move. You don't always have to wait for the man to do it first because you need to know where you stand and remember he's shy so maybe he did not contact you again because he thinks after you met you did not like him so is scared to make the first move or worried about rejection,
    who knows ? But you're never going to find out unless you ask him.
    Just send a message saying you enjoyed meeting him and would like to meet up again then wait for his response

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.