Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! So I'm starting my a levels in september and am currently choosing my options. However I can't decide between french, english lit, spanish, textiles and history.
    My current 4 choices are french, history, eng lit and textiles but I want to study languages at uni so I might need spanish!
    If anyone has any advice or opinions (eg regrets, fave subjects) about my choices please feel free to help! I have until friday 15th to decide at the latest.

ReputationRep:
    Drop textiles and pick up Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't take Spanish just because it may help you, take it because you like it.

A-Levels are difficult, especially so when you don't particularly like the subject. I'm not saying this is the case, just warning you so you don't fall into the same trap as others do.

ReputationRep:
    I do History and Literature and love them both immensely. My only regret was not picking a language!

If you want the honest truth, textiles is regarded as a softer subject and major universities would not look at it too favourably. But that being said, (and this is a very big but), your other subject choices are very difficult and will make you a very desirable applicant if you apply for anything English/History/Language related especially, so having textiles as a fourth option probably wouldn't make that much difference at all. I would say keep it if you really enjoy it.

I would keep your choice the same way it is now, when applying for language courses most universities look for one MFL, French for French courses but often for other language courses (e.g German and Linguistics or something) will take any one language, which you will have with French.

I think you're looking like a very appealing, well-rounded student. :-) Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanSea)
    Hi everyone! So I'm starting my a levels in september and am currently choosing my options. However I can't decide between french, english lit, spanish, textiles and history.
    My current 4 choices are french, history, eng lit and textiles but I want to study languages at uni so I might need spanish!
    If anyone has any advice or opinions (eg regrets, fave subjects) about my choices please feel free to help! I have until friday 15th to decide at the latest.
    If you want to do languages taking one language is fine Even if you want to take Spanish at degree level, I'm pretty sure they'll still let you if you only have a GCSE in it. However, if you love both of them do both. Just take what you enjoy and love the most as you'll have to study them for two years straight and you won't be as motivated to revise if you're taking subjects you don't care about.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've just finished my A-levels and my advise is to take the subjects you think you'll enjoy the most. A-levels are difficult and time consuming and there is a lot to do in two years so you need to have subjects that you will find interesting. I didn't do any languages, except English Language, but I've got friends who did and they say they're difficult, naturally, so I think doing two would be a lot of pressure. I did however do English Literature and I absolutely loved it. There's a lot of classroom discussions, group work and essays. I think I had 3/4 poetry books to study, 3 plays and a couple of novels to read over the two years.

Ultimately though pick the ones you think you'll enjoy as you have to invest a lot of time in the subjects you choose.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by OceanSea)
    There are lots of different ways to take languages at university:

Straight French
    Advanced French + beginner language (Spanish, Italian etc)
    French + humanities subject (popular ones are French + History or French + English Lit)

For none of these would you need to take Spanish at A-Level - French would be enough to show that you have a aptitude for learning languages.

I think your subjects show a good range of skills - some people might be saying that textiles is 'soft' but it's important to show that you enjoy a range of subjects - a creative subject goes well alongside essay and language subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Forget what you want to do and do what you are naturally better at and also enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! For now I'm going to continue with French, English lit, History and Textiles - ones that I enjoy the most and will therefore probably do best in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.