What universities to apply to for Astrophysics?

Watch this thread
DarkEnergy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Recently finished my AS exams so I've been making a list of universities I might apply to. I'm expecting AAAA in Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Physics. I don't think I'm good enough for the Golden triangle universities so I'd rather be realistic. I'd also prefer a year abroad. These are the universities I've got so far:
  • York - MPhys Physics with Astrophysics
  • Leeds - MPhys Physics with Astrophysics
  • Edinburgh - MPhys Astrophysics
Due to contextual factors, if I am to get an offer from these universities it will probably be in the AAB-ABB range which should be achievable. Any suggestions for the other two universities?

Thanks.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DarkEnergy)
Recently finished my AS exams so I've been making a list of universities I might apply to. I'm expecting AAAA in Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Physics. I don't think I'm good enough for the Golden triangle universities so I'd rather be realistic. I'd also prefer a year abroad. These are the universities I've got so far:
Due to contextual factors, if I am to get an offer from these universities it will probably be in the AAB-ABB range which should be achievable. Any suggestions for the other two universities?

Thanks.
I've been told that Nottingham and Loughborough are good for their astrophysics departments.
AlesanaWill
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DarkEnergy)

Thanks.
I recommend Nottingham too (partly because I went there) - I think their entry requirements are A*AA. They have a strong astronomy / astrophysics department and offer 2 astro degrees - Physics with Astronomy and Physics with Theoretical Astrophysics. The second degree, which is what I did, is quite unusual as it offers all the theoretical courses and all the astro ones - most universities don't seem to do this. So if you'd be interested in something like that, Nottingham is worth considering.

Leicester is quite well known for astro and offers several astro-themed degrees, such as Phyiscs with Astrophysics, Physics with Planetary Science, and Physics with Space Science. The entry requirements are AAB so this might be a good insurance choice.
mbch1809
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Take a look at Sheffield. Basically one of the only unis in U.K. that consists of 50:50 physics to astrophysics modules, whilst leaving none of the core physics modules out. Whilst there are astrophysics degrees, I think the balance is perfect as it opens up opportunities in terms of progression post graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (108)
68.35%
No (33)
20.89%
I didn't use it to prepare (17)
10.76%

Watched Threads