Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    So why ask?

I'd only get stuff to rub my younger brother's nose in it that he has no chance of ever getting in
    I don't know if you have talked about this on any other thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking

What route did you use to get a place in Cambridge for medicine? I know you are an adult learner so do they have a particular scheme? Might be handy to know for the future!

Sorry to other folks for going 'off thread'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I don't know if you have talked about this on any other thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking

What route did you use to get a place in Cambridge for medicine? I know you are an adult learner so do they have a particular scheme? Might be handy to know for the future!

Sorry to other folks for going 'off thread'.
    I just did the old 4 A levels at a local college... I did AS Bio and Chem in first year at evening class, then somehow managed to make the subjects up in the second year!

I was expelled from school for being a very naughty little boy (!) at 15, so I never got to take GCSEs (except 4 I took early). Because of this, my college was able to enter me through a Cambridge Access Scheme thing (God knows that meant in real terms, I'd like to think I would have got my first choice based on exam results and my BMAT alone)...

I wish I could tell you something more positive or outlandish, but it was just the old 4 A's at A-level... BORING!

ReputationRep:
    I want a college scarf but I wouldn't go around with a top saying "look at me! I'm in Cambridge"

ReputationRep:
    There's someone in my year at school who walks around wearing a Somerville College, Oxford hoodie. To be fair, her sister reads law there and probably bought it for her, but she's also applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    There's someone in my year at school who walks around wearing a Somerville College, Oxford hoodie. To be fair, her sister reads law there and probably bought it for her, but she's also applying.
    That's just sad.

Next time you see her, slap her.

ReputationRep:
    I just did the old 4 A levels at a local college... I did AS Bio and Chem in first year at evening class, then somehow managed to make the subjects up in the second year!

I was expelled from school for being a very naughty little boy (!) at 15, so I never got to take GCSEs (except 4 I took early). Because of this, my college was able to enter me through a Cambridge Access Scheme thing (God knows that meant in real terms, I'd like to think I would have got my first choice based on exam results and my BMAT alone)...

I wish I could tell you something more positive or outlandish, but it was just the old 4 A's at A-level... BORING!

I can't believe you were a naughty boy and got expelled! Still, youhave more than made up for it now - knuckling down eh?

I didn't realise that the Access scheme was for older students - but I guess we mostly tend to think that all first year undergrads will be 18/19.

Well done - so you will definitely be going, you don't have the trauma of making the grades to be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I want a college scarf but I wouldn't go around with a top saying "look at me! I'm in Cambridge"

Those are the Robinson scarf colours. I don't think you have to tell people what it means though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)

Those are the Robinson scarf colours. I don't think you have to tell people what it means though.
    tee hee almost same as newnham. I really dont like the newnham scarf though - i like the pembroke one... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    tee hee almost same as newnham. I really dont like the newnham scarf though - i like the pembroke one... :rolleyes:
    The grass is always greener on the other side. Newnham and Robinson don't look that similar...

Well, the pattern is the same, but the colours aren't.

The Cam U scarf is all right, but it has the Oxford colour in it as well, which is confusing.

ReputationRep:
    The grass is always greener on the other side. Newnham and Robinson don't look that similar...

Well, the pattern is the same, but the colours aren't.

The Cam U scarf is all right, but it has the Oxford colour in it as well, which is confusing.

i meant they had the same colours (ish)

meh - ill buy a college scarf if i ever feel patriotic to my college. Or if im cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I can't believe you were a naughty boy and got expelled! Still, youhave more than made up for it now - knuckling down eh?

I didn't realise that the Access scheme was for older students - but I guess we mostly tend to think that all first year undergrads will be 18/19.

Well done - so you will definitely be going, you don't have the trauma of making the grades to be accepted.

I think the Access thing is for anyone who messed up at school or college and need an excuse. I felt uncomfortable using it (esp as I already had good enough grades), but was afraid my advanced years would stand against me (an 17 year old would have an extra 10 years of practice than me once qualified...) - so I gave it a go...

I was a very naughty boy... Selling GCSE coursework, being drunk all the time, etc... Actually got expelled because I had bought a load of drink for a party on a no-uniform day at lunch time (a very bad plan). Someone must have grassed me up and it came over the tannoy that I had to go to the headmaster's office. He asked me if I had any drink on me (my bag was clinking with bottles of whiskey, cider, wine, etc). I could hardly say "no" so I thought up the best witticism I could on the spot and said "I fancied a wee tipple at lunch time sir". He made me open my bag and expelled me.

I think I've matured a hell of a lot since then (but not as much as my age would suggest, thus I chose a normal age college).

Yes, I'm damn glad I don't have exam results to worry about... Waiting sucks big time! What about you? What are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the Girton one looks like?

ReputationRep:
    i meant they had the same colours (ish)

meh - ill buy a college scarf if i ever feel patriotic to my college. Or if im cold
    Yes, it will probably be the second reason.

Girton:

All of them can be found here

ReputationRep:
    Mmm...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Girton:

All of them can be found here
    Yeah - although i'm finding myself standing up for Newnham and im not even there yet which is quite worrying...

ReputationRep:

Girton:

Thanks man... Looks almost Irish

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - although i'm finding myself standing up for Newnham and im not even there yet which is quite worrying...
    Patriotism is a strange thing, eh.

Thanks man... Looks almost Irish
    That's what I thought actually...well, most anything green looks Irish to me. (like this smiley --> )

ReputationRep:
    Tit Hall, Kings and Caius all have such nice scarves. But the Robinson one is acceptable. I just wish it didn't have grey in it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Tit Hall, Kings and Caius all have such nice scarves. But the Robinson one is acceptable. I just wish it didn't have grey in it!
    I replaced the grey with Cam blue.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    That looks really nice!
    I want that scarf!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.