Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I have now got a unconditional offer to start a School Direct (salaried) position at a primary school in London. What I am really struggling with is working out how much money I will get paid!!

On the website it says 'the school receives a training grant of £17600. From this the school pays training, administration and university fees. What remains goes towards paying the trainee salary'.I think the uni fees are around the £4500 mark but to be honest I don't really know as I have received VERY LITTLE info on this course.

Can anyone roughly work out how much money I will get as salary??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorriedTeacher)
    Hi guys,

So I have now got a unconditional offer to start a School Direct (salaried) position at a primary school in London. What I am really struggling with is working out how much money I will get paid!!

On the website it says 'the school receives a training grant of £17600. From this the school pays training, administration and university fees. What remains goes towards paying the trainee salary'.I think the uni fees are around the £4500 mark but to be honest I don't really know as I have received VERY LITTLE info on this course.

Can anyone roughly work out how much money I will get as salary??

Thanks
    I'm not entirely sure but I think that a legal requirement is that you're paid as an unqualified teacher in full time employment (which, in my case 2 year ago amounted to a little over 19k for London). The school should state that in their offer letter, otherwise ring them and check.

ReputationRep:
    You will be paid in accordance with the unqualified teacher pay scale. The minimum for next year (which, in all likelihood, is what your salary will be) is £20,701 if you are working in the inner London area and £19,553 if you are working in the outer London area.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get given a contract with your salary on it. If that hasn't happened yet don't worry. You'll be paid as an unqualified teacher on scale point one. You can google it if you want to look at the pay scale yourself. There are four columns on the pay scale (a section of the 16/17 table I've included below): England, Inner London, Outer London, Fringe areas. If you are unsure which you fit into just post a reply with the area or partnership or lead school etc (not the university) and I'll try and help.
    16,298£20,496£19,359£17,368

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Ed)
    £16,298, £20,496, £19,359, £17,368
    These are the salaries for last year. A 1% uplift for September was announced last week - the figures posted above take this into account.

ReputationRep:
    Would all trainees start from point one in the pay scale? I was under the impression that if you had a number of years of professional employment, ie, software developer, accountant, etc, then your salary on a SD salaried route would depend on your experience and what skills and expertise you attained 'in the field' that you could bring to a classroom. So it's not a blanket point-one-starting salary for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Salaries are usually pre-determined based on how much funding the NCTL is providing, which in turn is determined by recruitment needs. A primary candidate with expertise in maths or someone who is making the leap from experienced TA to trainee might be able to negotiate more than the minimum but the norm for primary is the lowest pay point because there isn't a need to offer higher salaries in order to attract good candidates - last year, the recruitment target was surpassed by 16%. On the other hand, a subject like physics, for which there is a huge demand for trainees, I've seen schools offering pay point 4 on the unqualified pay scale.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. I wonder what pay point on the scale an ICT/IT/Comp Studies teacher would achieve? If only there was a table on t'interweb that could tell me this.

ReputationRep:
    Funding from the DfE for Computer Science ranges from £19k outside of London to £23.9k in inner London, so salaries will be in that range. Some schools might not pay the full amount that they receive from the DfE to the trainee because they also need to cover the costs of training, but last year, nationally, they fell short of the recruitment target by 30% so there probably is a number of schools who are paying the entire amount they receive from the DfE as the salary to attract candidates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.