The Student Room Group

Finance for Second Degree

Hi

I'm currently at end of Year 2 of a 4-year integrated Maths masters (MMath). I'm finding I don't like the pure maths which will only get worse in Year 4 so plan to convert to the 3-year BSc course when I return in Sept. I then plan to apply to do an engineering integrated masters course (at a diff uni) from Sept 17, which will give me a MEng. The MEng course is 4 years, although I'll try and get entry at year 2 if I can.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to do anything about telling SFC I'm converting from my current MMath to a BSc course (its basically the same course - 3 years gets you a BSc, 4 years a MMath)?

2. Can I get a student loan for fees and/or support for the MEng course - and if so how much? I've heard you can get up to £10k for a second degree if it is a higher qualification. Does an integrated masters MEng count as a higher qualification than a BSc?

3. Is there any way I can present this as a conversion (from my MMath to an MEng - and would this help me with finance at all?

Thx

Tony
Original post by Tony3647
Hi

I'm currently at end of Year 2 of a 4-year integrated Maths masters (MMath). I'm finding I don't like the pure maths which will only get worse in Year 4 so plan to convert to the 3-year BSc course when I return in Sept. I then plan to apply to do an engineering integrated masters course (at a diff uni) from Sept 17, which will give me a MEng. The MEng course is 4 years, although I'll try and get entry at year 2 if I can.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to do anything about telling SFC I'm converting from my current MMath to a BSc course (its basically the same course - 3 years gets you a BSc, 4 years a MMath)?

2. Can I get a student loan for fees and/or support for the MEng course - and if so how much? I've heard you can get up to £10k for a second degree if it is a higher qualification. Does an integrated masters MEng count as a higher qualification than a BSc?

3. Is there any way I can present this as a conversion (from my MMath to an MEng - and would this help me with finance at all?

Thx

Tony

1. i think you need to put that through as a change of circumstances.
2. There were proposals to fund 2nd degree stem subjects fully from 2017 but that hasnt been confirmed, otherwise if you can do a postgrad meng then you might be eligible for a postgrad loan otherwise currently you won't get anything.
3. That wouldnt help at all i dont think.
The £10k is for post graduate study and not a second undergraduate degree.
Hi Tony3647

You will need to ask the university to send us a transfer change of circumstances if you are changing courses, otherwise you will not be paid any funding and the university will not get the fees.
At present there is only funding available to study 1 degree course.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending