Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am moderately deaf and wear hearing aids in both ears. I am hoping to apply for Medical school this year. Will I be at a disadvantage because my listening/communication skills aren't excellent? Does anyone know if special stethoscopes etc. are available for doctors with hearing loss?
    Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
    I am moderately deaf and wear hearing aids in both ears. I am hoping to apply for Medical school this year. Will I be at a disadvantage because my listening/communication skills aren't excellent? Does anyone know if special stethoscopes etc. are available for doctors with hearing loss?
    Thanks
    You can get electronic stethoscopes which are adjustable so you can increase the volume on them, they are pretty expensive though that should be something DSA would cover for you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Have you contacted the unis you're interested in attending?

This is the thing I sort of dread. When they see me in person and notice that I have hearing aids. :unsure:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not my fault my medical condition comes with high frequency hearing impairment. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Hello. The BMJ website has positive articles about deaf doctors. This is just onehttp://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=445
    You may also know of a site called UK health professionals with hearing loss. www.hohl.org.uk

I am struggling with attitudes myself at present for a different condition but do not let anyone grind you down!

Sunshine

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to have to have hearing aids - if the test shows no infection or fluid. I feel a little self conscious about it but it's more difficult, as a therapist, to work without them. A client who is softly spoken means I have to strain so much to hear that I get a headache. Can't hear at all if traffic is heavy outside. Much less socially acceptable to ask a client to keep repeating themselves.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    I'm probably going to have to have hearing aids - if the test shows no infection or fluid. I feel a little self conscious about it but it's more difficult, as a therapist, to work without them. A client who is softly spoken means I have to strain so much to hear that I get a headache. Can't hear at all if traffic is heavy outside. Much less socially acceptable to ask a client to keep repeating themselves.
    You can get ones that go in your ear. They gave one to me; but I can't see the switch. Currently waiting for a referral to get one to go behind my ear.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.