Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12, I will be applying to uni within the next couple of months. As it stands, my first choice is LSE to study either Politics and International Relations or Politics and Philosophy - these are my ideal courses. I've decided to apply to Oxbridge as well as I've become aware of the 10% acceptance rate of LSE.

So now I need to decide between Oxford or Cambridge for Politics. I've visited Oxford once and Cambridge twice over the past few years whilst on a programme called The Brilliant Club and I do love the feel of Cambridge a lot more. The Human, Social and Political Sciences is the closest to Politics there, however I am very much not wanting to study biology or psychology. I am aware you can branch off but how much of the first or even second year is made up of compulsory modules that I will not enjoy?

Oxford's PPE has a lower requirement of AAA. Which, to me, seems more attainable. PPE includes Philosophy as I prefer but I'm not prepared for maths of any kind - which is why I didn't choose A Level Econ. Even if I was to branch away from the economics, would the compulsory modules entail much maths?

PPE seems more promising and relatable to Politics and International Relations and Oxford has lower grade requirements, though my heart remains with Cambridge. Is there anything else I should consider when deciding between the two? Does anyone have any advice on these two courses and which would be more suitable to me with my interests lying in Politics & IR?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by elleinterrupted)
    I'm in year 12, I will be applying to uni within the next couple of months. As it stands, my first choice is LSE to study either Politics and International Relations or Politics and Philosophy - these are my ideal courses. I've decided to apply to Oxbridge as well as I've become aware of the 10% acceptance rate of LSE.

So now I need to decide between Oxford or Cambridge for Politics. I've visited Oxford once and Cambridge twice over the past few years whilst on a programme called The Brilliant Club and I do love the feel of Cambridge a lot more. The Human, Social and Political Sciences is the closest to Politics there, however I am very much not wanting to study biology or psychology. I am aware you can branch off but how much of the first or even second year is made up of compulsory modules that I will not enjoy?

Oxford's PPE has a lower requirement of AAA. Which, to me, seems more attainable. PPE includes Philosophy as I prefer but I'm not prepared for maths of any kind - which is why I didn't choose A Level Econ. Even if I was to branch away from the economics, would the compulsory modules entail much maths?

PPE seems more promising and relatable to Politics and International Relations and Oxford has lower grade requirements, though my heart remains with Cambridge. Is there anything else I should consider when deciding between the two? Does anyone have any advice on these two courses and which would be more suitable to me with my interests lying in Politics & IR?

Thanks!
    90% of successful applicants to PPE take A-Level Maths (or at least to AS, I can't remember which it is, but even so, you will see the importance of Maths A-Level in a successful PPE application).

I took Economics A-Level which had minimal maths, but university level Economics, especially Micro, can be almost pure maths, and if you aren't interested in maths then I would strongly advise not applying for PPE (I think that the TSA has some sort of maths component, anyhow).

However, if you don't think that you could achieve A*AA then I would be cautious as to applying to Cambridge as most students exceed their offers. It's worth a try, anyway, and I think that you should probably apply to Cambridge over Oxford.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elleinterrupted)

Thanks!
    Oxford's entrance requirement might be AAA, but the average humanities student has A*A*A at A-Level. The grade requirement is just the first hurdle. It's better to base your choice on personal preference and course structure.

Also, you should be highly sceptical of admissions statistics. Though the acceptance rate at LSE might be 10%, that does not include students who are made an offer but who firm another university... thus the acceptance rate might be closer to 20 or even 30 per cent. It's something to bear in mind.*

ReputationRep:
    I don't think maths A'level is compulsory but Oxford PPE involves a fair amount of maths, both for economics and the logic part of philosophy. You can’t drop economics until the second year and even then it’s probably not a good idea. They lay on special maths classes but if you have been avoiding calculus during your sixth form it may be a bit of an uphill struggle. Contact any of the colleges’ PPE tutors if you think you might have a problem with the maths.

A non-mathsy person would also have a problem getting past the entrance test (TSA). There are specimen TSA papers via the Oxford website and 50% of the questions are "problem solving" i.e. applied maths or fiendish puzzles.

From what you have said it might well be that LSE and Cambridge are the better bet.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.