The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

I got 1A* 7A 1B 1C for GCSE
got AAAA at AS
610 UKCAT :frown:
I'm probably not applying to Bristol because my GCSEs are really low but I think I will apply to medicine elsewhere where AS are more highly valued. I'm just going to try and get A*s next year and apply the year after (also with a better UKCAT)
Reply 21
Original post by Olawale123
no i meant about how the application is weighted on PS 80% and UKCAT and Academic Attainment 20%

its 70% ps, 30% academics
For 2017 entry it is 10% UKCAT, 20% A levels/GCSE and 70% Personal Statement.
Reply 23
Original post by returnmigrant
For 2017 entry it is 10% UKCAT, 20% A levels/GCSE and 70% Personal Statement.

Do you know how Bristol is actually going to use the ukcat this year?
Original post by kony-d
Do you know how Bristol is actually going to use the ukcat this year?

As above, your UKCAT score will contribute 10% of your final application score.
Hi all,

I'm a graduate applying for Bristol (aware of the funding situation) - anyone know whether the admissions criteria for graduates on A100 is the same as those doing their A Levels? (70% PS, 10% UKCAT, 20% academics)? I've emailed but still waiting on a response :/
Yes it is - as the A level requirement is lower, they convert your degree to AAA so you are not disadvantaged and then you are scored exactly the same as a school leaver.
Yes it is - as the A level requirement is lower, they convert your degree to AAA so you are not disadvantaged and then you are scored exactly the same as a school leaver.

Thanks!
Reply 28
To put those who have posted grades asking if they stand a shot, I maybe able to help you. My experience with Bristol is quite unique to other med schools. They are very different when it comes to applying, and I think much better than other schools as they look at the applicant as a person, rather than GCSE scores and numbers on a page.I am going to be studying medicine in a couple days at Bristol as it is my firm choice.

Just so you have some idea of grades, I got:
GCSES: 5A*'s 6A's (plus one two extra A*'s year 9 so didnt add to my academic score)
AS: AABBC
A2 A*AA (A* epq) (this doesnt really matter as you only have to meed your grades).
UKCAT: 637.5 avg (2550)
BMAT: 5.7, 4.3, 3A

So as you can see, when it comes to GCSEs and UKCAT, i only had 5A*'s and a pretty low UKCAT score, and I managed to get an interview. How did I do it? My personal statement.I spent days on my PS, and I don't want to blow my own horn, but I was very proud of it. It was short and to the point and demonstrated all the experiences I had from my year of working in a hospice and a charity shop.Bristol really like you to show all your experiences dealing with the moral and social problems you encountered when doing volunteering and work experience, and at school. Did you take any leadership roles? House Captain? How did you go about solving the problems you faced? Also, say how long you have been volunteering for or doing work exerpience. If you have been doing it for years, it worth mentioning!

So, once you get invited to interview, the slate is wiped clean. I found the interview exciting and fun. It sounds weird but the interviewers at Bristol are very kind and nice. I was relaxed and happy and performed well at the interview. You can message me if you need any tips on Bristol PS/ interviews. I will help as much as I can, but I did sign a waver when I interviewed which will limit what I can say.

Overall, the admissions process at Bristol was very relaxed and quite nice. I felt like I did matter at Bristol. Their way of interviewing and speaking to you makes you feel like a person, not a list of academic achievements!Good luck all of you with your applications! You can message me if you need anymore help!

-------------------------------
Im not in the mood to read what i just wrote again and spell check, so sorry for grammar and spelling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Looked around Bristol yesterday, fell in love with it but thinking it might be risky applying to both Bristol AND Cambridge, a bit worried about the personal statement side of things but it was so nice. Anyone else feeling like this?
Original post by isabella1999
but thinking it might be risky applying to both Bristol AND Cambridge

why ....?
why ....?

Because they are both like super super competitive right?
Original post by isabella1999
Because they are both like super super competitive right?

If you meet the minimum requirements and can right a sensible PS, you have a very strong chance of an offer from Bristol.

Looking at the baseline 'number of applicants vs. number of offers' tells you very little. There will be large number of applicants for all courses at all RG Unis that are a) totally hopeless, or b) haven't got the right GCSE grades, or c) are applying for AAA courses with prediction of BBB. Once you take these away, the number of 'credible applicants' vs 'number of offers' is actually not that scary at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you meet the minimum requirements and can right a sensible PS, you have a very strong chance of an offer from Bristol.

Looking at the baseline 'number of applicants vs. number of offers' tells you very little. There will be large number of applicants for all courses at all RG Unis that are a) totally hopeless, or b) haven't got the right GCSE grades, or c) are applying for AAA courses with prediction of BBB. Once you take these away, the number of 'credible applicants' vs 'number of offers' is actually not that scary at all.

Oh thanks! I never thought about it like that :biggrin: hope
Hi,
Does anybody know what Bristol's minimum entry requirements are for gcse double award science as I can't seem to find it on the website? I got a B in core science and an A in additional?
Thank you in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Is it possible to apply as a graduate (going into my third year of uni)? UKCAT of 670 but I've heard bristol don't care as much about your UKCAT than other places
Original post by marcobruni98
I got 1A* 7A 1B 1C for GCSE
got AAAA at AS
610 UKCAT :frown:
I'm probably not applying to Bristol because my GCSEs are really low but I think I will apply to medicine elsewhere where AS are more highly valued. I'm just going to try and get A*s next year and apply the year after (also with a better UKCAT)

Hi I have similar stats to you, 1A* 7A 2B at GCSE, UKCAT 606:frown:
So are you taking a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imogen1208
Hi I have similar stats to you, 1A* 7A 2B at GCSE, UKCAT 606:frown:
So are you taking a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna go hardcore on the BMAT!
Original post by Clareite
Is it possible to apply as a graduate (going into my third year of uni)? UKCAT of 670 but I've heard bristol don't care as much about your UKCAT than other places

UKCAT 10%, Academics 20%, PS 70%, No UKCAT threshold.

Yes you can apply as a graduate - but be aware that you wont get full funding from SF to do another undergraduate degree.
Reply 39
Thank you so much! Yes aware of the funding issue :/ Do you think its worth applying with 670 then? So hard to know what's good enough...

UKCAT 10%, Academics 20%, PS 70%, No UKCAT threshold.

Yes you can apply as a graduate - but be aware that you wont get full funding from SF to do another undergraduate degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending