Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In september I will be starting year 11 and beginning to apply for colleges to do my a levels. I recently had a taster day at one of the regular colleges near me and I didn't really like it, unfortunately there are only nearby colleges doing practical subjects so there is only one other alternative for me- the local grammar school's sixthform.

I have looked into it and I really like the sound of it. They want students to perform academically but seriously encourage you to do alot of extra-curricular acitivites, plus they have an amazing sports ground and always beat my state school in sport.
    I would definately like to be involved in their rugby team and also their societies like geography, politics and the weather station, I think I would get so many more opportunities at the grammar school than the other college. The entry requirement is good mock results (mine were 3 a*, 4 a's and the rest b's) and actual results need to be at least 4 A's and 4 B's with no C's, I know I can achieve this as all of my B grades were only two or so off of an A. They also want at least an A in the subjects you would like to take. I am not worried about these though.

My biggest concern is the cost, which is roughly £5500 per term. My dad is a single-parent and school teacher, i think he earns about £30,000 a year. I don't know if he could comfortably afford it, could I still qualify for a bursary? Also, I intend to study Maths, chemistry, biology and geography so I can do an earth science degree at university, the school offer a scholarship for students taking STEM subjects so I could receive some funding. Do you have any information about bursaries or scholarships and whether or not this is feasible for me? Any would be really helpful, thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Adaytoremember)
    In september I will be starting year 11 and beginning to apply for colleges to do my a levels. I recently had a taster day at one of the regular colleges near me and I didn't really like it, unfortunately there are only nearby colleges doing practical subjects so there is only one other alternative for me- the local grammar school's sixthform.

I have looked into it and I really like the sound of it. They want students to perform academically but seriously encourage you to do alot of extra-curricular acitivites, plus they have an amazing sports ground and always beat my state school in sport.
    I would definately like to be involved in their rugby team and also their societies like geography, politics and the weather station, I think I would get so many more opportunities at the grammar school than the other college. The entry requirement is good mock results (mine were 3 a*, 4 a's and the rest b's) and actual results need to be at least 4 A's and 4 B's with no C's, I know I can achieve this as all of my B grades were only two or so off of an A. They also want at least an A in the subjects you would like to take. I am not worried about these though.

My biggest concern is the cost, which is roughly £5500 per term. My dad is a single-parent and school teacher, i think he earns about £30,000 a year. I don't know if he could comfortably afford it, could I still qualify for a bursary? Also, I intend to study Maths, chemistry, biology and geography so I can do an earth science degree at university, the school offer a scholarship for students taking STEM subjects so I could recieve some funding. Do you have any information about bursaries or scholarships and whether or not this is feasible for me? Any would be really helpful, thank you.
    Before we go jumping into the world of expensive education... have you discussed your preferences for attending this Grammar school with your dad, because before you can consider it he must be prepared to financially back you, if he cannot then look into bursaries but make sure you are both on the same page in terms of the finances first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Before we go jumping into the world of expensive education... have you discussed your preferences for attending this Grammar school with your dad, because before you can consider it he must be prepared to financially back you, if he cannot then look into bursaries but make sure you are both on the same page in terms of the finances first.
    I will definately be having this conversation with him over the holidays, however I was trying to get some information regarding assisted funding before mentioning it so he doesn't get put off right away. I had an assembly with a careers advisor I think a few weeks ago who said that if you present the information they need at the time, it is more apparent to them that you're interested in it and it could reassure him that we could have help paying, instead of him having to spend his time researching into it. She was saying that parents may be more willing to listen to the reasons for wanting to go there for example. I hope that kind of makes some sense??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Adaytoremember)
    I will definately be having this conversation with him over the holidays, however I was trying to get some information regarding assisted funding before mentioning it so he doesn't get put off right away. I had an assembly with a careers advisor I think a few weeks ago who said that if you present the information they need at the time, it is more apparent to them that you're interested in it and it could reassure him that we could have help paying, instead of him having to spend his time researching into it. She was saying that parents may be more willing to listen to the reasons for wanting to go there for example. I hope that kind of makes some sense??
    I do understand your point yes, being a single parent may mean you get some help with finances as well so make sure you do a bit of research into that.

Coming from the other side, my mum is a single parent and even on that wage your dad earns would very much struggle to get by day to day with children, a mortgage, a car and bills to pay. Just put into perspective that without a bursary (which I believe are not handed out to everyone these days, they seem to be more selective) you are asking your dad to pay £15000 a year for your school fees, that is half of his yearly salary. In my mind that is absolutely ludicrous and not at all your decision.

Student to student I really do understand your frustrations with wanting to go to a sixth form which you like and you feel you will be valued, but the other sixth form will also get you to where you want to be if you really do try hard. Remember just because on the open day it didnt appeal to you doesnt mean you wont do well there if you put your head down. In todays world it is a real farse that going to a grammar school will increase your chances of good grades and getting into a good degree at a top university, many colleges offer the same things for free you just have to go out of your way to seek them out, and to me you seem very driven so this shouldnt be a problem at all to you.

I do understand you want the best for your education so do a lot of research into the bursaries availible to your dad for funding of your education, but be aware that even with a £5000 reduction your still asking for 1/3rd of his yearly salary per year to fund you, and he may not be able to do that x

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.