Strengths and weaknesses of reductionism in psychology Watch

AnonStudent17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been given work on reductionism on the areas of cognitive, social, biological and learning theories in psychology. I understand what reductionism is, but I can only get one strength and one weakness for it. So I was wondering if anyone else could me please?
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've moved this to the Psychology forum for you
Findlay6
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Surely you should just be looking at how each theory works in relation to it?

Reductionism is reducing humans into simple forms.

So the biological approach would be guilty of this, as they explain behaviour in simple terms of neurotransmitters and the brain. It's very deterministic, whereas the humanistic approach is the opposite because it considers the whole person. Not single parts of it.
Craig1998
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Strength: Reduces complex psychological behaviour down to one explanation, so treatments for a disorder related to that behaviour can be developed based off of that one explanation.
Weakness: If we focus on just one explanation, we cut out other explanations (e.g. focus on biological cuts out that behaviour can be learnt), this is quite damaging as any treatments created may not be accurately treating the correct thing.
Pinkberry_y
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Strength-
Easier to treat that disorder if you're looking at one particular cause only. Eg depression with drugs

Weakness
Not all of the causes are treated. If you're saying depression for example is solely down to a biological mechanism then you'd only be treating the symptoms of it not the cause of it by using drugs when other treatment methods from other psychological approaches eg CBT would be motor effective treatment in the long term.
It is also an over simplification, human behaviour is very complicated and different things feed into our behaviour it cannot be defined by one approach alone.
You'll find on any mental illness there will be studying findings that support more than one psychological approach, this should show then that there are many psychological explanations. If it were down to solely one approach being the causing factor, there wouldn't be evidence from other approaches.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (146)
58.87%
No (102)
41.13%

Watched Threads