Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I m in foster care and I'm 17 years old I wanted to ask if you wanted to go and live on your own and I know you can do so but I have a brother and he is 14 but if I say can I go and live on my own with my brother will they give me a flat if I can take care of him??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Where is your brother? If he is also in the care system, I think it's unlikely they'll let you be his guardian. You should contact your social worker when you can and see what your options are. Are you and your brother together? If not, it might be worth asking to see if you can be, if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Where is your brother? If he is also in the care system, I think it's unlikely they'll let you be his guardian. You should contact your social worker when you can and see what your options are. Are you and your brother together? If not, it might be worth asking to see if you can be, if at all possible.
    Yes he is with me in the same house but if I'm not going to be able to do it now that I'm 17 can I do it if I'm 18??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EsperanA)
    Yes he is with me in the same house but if I'm not going to be able to do it now that I'm 17 can I do it if I'm 18??
    It's possible, but because he's under the care of social services it's up to them. If they decide that you aren't ready and that he cannot get everything he needs with you, and that you won't be able to get everything you need because of the extra responsibility, then they probably will keep him under their care. You need to be financially stable and be able to support you both, and make sure his needs are met. This means school, healthcare, social and everything. I haven't had to deal with these policies for a while, so I can't remember them exactly, but don't get your hopes up. You need to talk to your social worker about it. They'll be able to advise you properly and be able to give you all the information you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It's possible, but because he's under the care of social services it's up to them. If they decide that you aren't ready and that he cannot get everything he needs with you, and that you won't be able to get everything you need because of the extra responsibility, then they probably will keep him under their care. You need to be financially stable and be able to support you both, and make sure his needs are met. This means school, healthcare, social and everything. I haven't had to deal with these policies for a while, so I can't remember them exactly, but don't get your hopes up. You need to talk to your social worker about it. They'll be able to advise you properly and be able to give you all the information you need.
    I feel unsure about asking it yet because I think it's too soon but I think. Will confuse you but wouldn't it be different if someone is an illegal immigrant in this country that has applied for asylum ?? Or same rules ??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EsperanA)
    I feel unsure about asking it yet because I think it's too soon but I think. Will confuse you but wouldn't it be different if someone is an illegal immigrant in this country that has applied for asylum ?? Or same rules ??
    It will make a bit more complicated, but I'm not sure how much more difficult it'll be. It's best to ask as soon as you can, as sometimes these things can take a little while to be figured out.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.