Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been best friends with this person since like year 2. We talk nearly everyday and have a lot in common. So I have been friends with the person for over 12 years plus.

However after just being on a theme park holiday with that person. I am getting very frustrated. Of course, everyone has there annoying aspects (I'm sure I do!) and one of theirs is they can be very bossy.

The person in question on the holiday decided to write a "schedule" with times to get up and go to bed?! (Considering I'm an adult and so is he, find that a bit strange). The person was raging around the park about 100 miles an hour trying to get on as much as possible, considering I have asthma its extremely hard to keep up with that pace all day long.

I did most of the talking on holiday when ordering food. I think the waiter asked at one of the restaurants a question I misheard, the waiter was absolutely fine and just explained again. However he got extremely annoyed at me and kept calling me "stupid" and that "I cant even answer a simple question". If I didn't do everything perfect, he then repeated these actions. They were only very small human errors we all make that are nothing! On may of the rides if I didn't take my hands completely away from the safety bar when released, he decided to have a go at me!

I stuck up for myself and told him to "lighten up" on multiple occasions. The person then proceeded to push me into a fence?! Like a school child in a playground.

I also get strange remarks about me being "stupid" and "fat" which are a bit childish. I don't know if the person thinks its a joke - however having that all day is a bit frustrating. I think I get called this because I'm not going to uni like the person in question (I did an apprenticeship and now run an IT business and didn't do uni), they are obliviously thinking I didn't do well in life or something!

Even when I refused to go on one of the rides (considering I just had breakfast) I was told "You will go on it", "Why are you acting like that". He seems to take everything a bit seriously!. The person also seems to get very excited and wants to get on as many rides as possible, which means you get about 10 seconds to eat your breakfast & lunch.

I wouldn't dare ask to have a drink at night or watch one of the shows! He would tell me "I wasn't allowed to do it".

However being an adult, why should someone boss me around. I did pay for half the holiday! Why shouldn't I be "allowed" to go for a drink (I'm not forcing him to come or drink).

The person will probably want to do another holiday next year. It's going to put me in a really awkward position, but I'm not paying to go on holiday to be bossed about like I'm 6! However, he has been a good friend for so many years - I don't have many friends either!

ReputationRep:
    Need to ask, does this person have a type of OCD?
    Kinda sounds like it to me...

(Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Need to ask, does this person have a type of OCD?
    Kinda sounds like it to me...
    No (as far as I know and have known the person for 12+ years) I personally wouldn't of thought so. Its definitely not the hygiene part of it as for sure I am much more hygienic!.

The person is not to good at communicating with strangers from what I have seen. I do know members of his family who are quite sarcastic & very "to the point" at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No (as far as I know and have known the person for 12+ years) I personally wouldn't of thought so. Its definitely not the hygiene part of it as for sure I am much more hygienic!.

The person is not to good at communicating with strangers from what I have seen. I do know members of his family who are quite sarcastic & very "to the point" at times.
    Not talking about cleaning or anything like that, I mean does everyone have to follow a certain pattern and if this pattern is broken or something is out of place it has to be fixed?
    I ask because the way he plans everything as you say (literally from the point you wake up to the point you go to sleep), it kinda sounds like an OCD to me, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    put him in his place! you are an adult and if they continue to be stupid then back away from them! they will soon come crawling back because 12 years is a long time and if they dont, its their loss. you just carry on with your life and continue to be successful
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Solution - eat friend
    Advantages - unique taste, A* in food and nutrition coursework, no more annoyance
    Disadvantages - none
    Please continue tsring :beard:

(Original post by Cinamon Biscuit)
    put him in his place! you are an adult and if they continue to be stupid then back away from them! they will soon come crawling back because 12 years is a long time and if they dont, its their loss. you just carry on with your life and continue to be successful
    Thanks for your comment. I have let people walk all over me in life, I think its time I actually start standing up for myself for once!

Why should someone act in this childish way when they are an adult!? I don't want to be talked down too. My other very good friend, can't stand the person in question and has told me too get rid of the person.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your comment. I have let people walk all over me in life, I think its time I actually start standing up for myself for once!

Why should someone act in this childish way when they are an adult!? I don't want to be talked down too. My other very good friend, can't stand the person in question and has told me too get rid of the person.
    and you bloody well should too! this is YOUR life! if you feel that someone is being a negative little **** in YOUR life then YOU have every right to kick the little ****er out!

too many times you feel that you cant do that to someone because of how long they have been in your life and they take advantage of that fact but a little reality check for them wont harm them and then! if they still continue to whine and complain and say that you are being childish, tell them to **** off and go look in a mirror while you carry on with your happy life!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Heck yeah, tell him! He shouldn't be treating you like that. He's your friend, not your dad. It's your holiday too. Holidays are for relaxing, as well. If he wants to run around and stick to an itinerary, he can. If you want to go have a drink and sit down and hive a nice lunch, you do that! It's supposed to be fun for both of you, and it's not sounding very fun for either of you. I personally wouldn't go on holiday with him again. It's just like how a lot of friends would kill each other if they lived together. Some people just can't be with each other in a situation like that and that's fine. He really needs to treat you a bit better and quit it with the name calling and putting you down.

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that you're trapped in an abusive relationship?

ReputationRep:
    Have they always been like this? Are they okay? I don't know either if you but it does sound a bit like ocd or something else going on, if they've not always been like that, people can hide things very well for a Long time
    But if you're sure they're okay then ditch them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have been best friends with this person since like year 2. We talk nearly everyday and have a lot in common. So I have been friends with the person for over 12 years plus.

However after just being on a theme park holiday with that person. I am getting very frustrated. Of course, everyone has there annoying aspects (I'm sure I do!) and one of theirs is they can be very bossy.

The person in question on the holiday decided to write a "schedule" with times to get up and go to bed?! (Considering I'm an adult and so is he, find that a bit strange). The person was raging around the park about 100 miles an hour trying to get on as much as possible, considering I have asthma its extremely hard to keep up with that pace all day long.

I did most of the talking on holiday when ordering food. I think the waiter asked at one of the restaurants a question I misheard, the waiter was absolutely fine and just explained again. However he got extremely annoyed at me and kept calling me "stupid" and that "I cant even answer a simple question". If I didn't do everything perfect, he then repeated these actions. They were only very small human errors we all make that are nothing! On may of the rides if I didn't take my hands completely away from the safety bar when released, he decided to have a go at me!

I stuck up for myself and told him to "lighten up" on multiple occasions. The person then proceeded to push me into a fence?! Like a school child in a playground.

I also get strange remarks about me being "stupid" and "fat" which are a bit childish. I don't know if the person thinks its a joke - however having that all day is a bit frustrating. I think I get called this because I'm not going to uni like the person in question (I did an apprenticeship and now run an IT business and didn't do uni), they are obliviously thinking I didn't do well in life or something!

Even when I refused to go on one of the rides (considering I just had breakfast) I was told "You will go on it", "Why are you acting like that". He seems to take everything a bit seriously!. The person also seems to get very excited and wants to get on as many rides as possible, which means you get about 10 seconds to eat your breakfast & lunch.

I wouldn't dare ask to have a drink at night or watch one of the shows! He would tell me "I wasn't allowed to do it".

However being an adult, why should someone boss me around. I did pay for half the holiday! Why shouldn't I be "allowed" to go for a drink (I'm not forcing him to come or drink).

The person will probably want to do another holiday next year. It's going to put me in a really awkward position, but I'm not paying to go on holiday to be bossed about like I'm 6! However, he has been a good friend for so many years - I don't have many friends either!
    'The person' sounds like a ****. A very jealous and controlling type of **** for which there is a very special place in hell. If this is serious, you've actually achieved something in life, 'The person' hasn't and envies you for it, hence the abusive behaviour. Stop allowing yourself to be abused. Better to have no friends at all than having to be friends with 'The person'.

After having a c*** and crazy year. Which started off being conned out of a ton of money in an apprenticeip where I have been for nearly 2 years and being mistreated and at the current time family's members In hospital. Then resulted in lots of lovely legal battles where I got nowhere. After that I was bombarded with people wanting TV interviews. Then I met with my MP, who then took me to see minister who had a whole group of people. For the most part of this year I have felt highly stressed out and completely shattered and felt completely useless. I started my business which is now starting to take off quite well building a big client base and receiving positive reviews and of course starting to make some healthy profit!I just fill fed up of all the nitty comments I have received. Especially at the start of creating my business when having some quiet weeks. All I received was "When are you getting a proper job", "Do you do a proper day", "Another one who doesn't go to work". That was from various different people. I just need to know, which of my very few friends I have are genuine.I saved a lot of money to enjoy myself and look forward to this holiday being with one of my best friends (I believe his mum paid for a lot of he's). After doing it, I came home more stressed than relax. Felt as I was walking on eggshells for most of it. Does it really matter I had my hands on a safety bar while it lowered on a ghost train? Is it the end of the world I took the wrong corridor then corrected myself? Even when I got the McDonald's on the last day, which I did everything single thing perfect. The reply was "Well that's the first thing you did right, last time you got me Sprite instead of a coke?! (That was one year ago). Surely if I do everything so bad, why doesn't he do it? While he stood outside and did nothing, I'm the one who struggled to carry back all the McDonald's. It's like the person wants to see me fail. I get the feeling if I was to ever be more successful than him (I probably wouldn't be as I'm not that intelligent!) he really wouldn't like that. When people go on holiday. If you make a silly mistake like press the wrong button on the lift, surely you just laugh; rather than go on about it for weeks. Surely you don't need to ask permission to eat a packet of crisps!!!! I found it a very strange and stressful holiday! Not exactly what I needed.

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Heck yeah, tell him! He shouldn't be treating you like that. He's your friend, not your dad. It's your holiday too. Holidays are for relaxing, as well. If he wants to run around and stick to an itinerary, he can. If you want to go have a drink and sit down and hive a nice lunch, you do that! It's supposed to be fun for both of you, and it's not sounding very fun for either of you. I personally wouldn't go on holiday with him again. It's just like how a lot of friends would kill each other if they lived together. Some people just can't be with each other in a situation like that and that's fine. He really needs to treat you a bit better and quit it with the name calling and putting you down.
    I don't mind having a joke but I think the person needs to realise when a joke goes to far. Surely being adults now, these kind of silly things are a bit immature. If your running round theme parks like lunatics, that's fine when you like 6 - but being a 19 year old, I would like to at least have time for my lunch to go down.

I know he got extremely excited before the holiday and really gets into all things theme parks as he gets interested in the manufacturers of roller-coasters and all that. Which is fine, however I don't get interested with them on that level.

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
    'The person' sounds like a ****. A very jealous and controlling type of **** for which there is a very special place in hell. If this is serious, you've actually achieved something in life, 'The person' hasn't and envies you for it, hence the abusive behaviour. Stop allowing yourself to be abused. Better to have no friends at all than having to be friends with 'The person'.
    I am a massive push over and have always been one. Always at the end of the stick of every joke and had a terrible time when I was at school.

I believe he genuinely likes me as a friend, that I don't have any doubt about. I know he can be very bossy (we all have are annoying aspects), however when I just see him for the day - I don't notice it that much.

It did fill very angry at the fact he was so controlling on the holiday, while I did stand up for myself at times. I shouldn't fear of asking to go for a drink or having a nice lunch. I hated the stupid petty remarks every-time I did something small wrong.

I have noticed when the person comes round, they haven't always been polite to my parents when they have made the person dinner. Even though I am extremely polite to that persons parents, if they were to do me dinner. I usually get a remark about the curry being "microwaved" or the fact the person never says "Thank-You" which I find disrespectful. I feel sometimes like if I was to buy the best cheesecake or whatever in the world, that persons one would be better!!!

I have also noticed the family talk a lot about that person going to "Uni" when I am about. Probably to rub in the fact I'm not going.

I didn't really express that much how angry I was, I dont really want to loose friends as I don't have that many!. However I dont think that person will be best pleased if I refuse another holiday!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.