The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vasavada
Took like a whole day for me

I was thinking it might be the same for me, but nope! Hopefully it will come tomorrow!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by sarzed
I would guess you should get something within 48 hours? I got an offer from a different uni and the online system updated about 36 hours before I got an 'official' email so I wouldn't worry about it :smile: especially at this time of year, I'd imagine all the online systems are slow since they'll have so much traffic?

Thanks, that's reassuring :smile: Hoping I get it tomorrow, because then the real celebrations can begin! Scared to do anything in case they have made a mistake, haha!
Reply 422
Congratulations! !!! :smile: I just received the questionnaire..I will complete it carefully!

Original post by vasavada
I got conditional offer for MPhil in Advanced Computer Science. Though, the condition is "mission impossible"
Reply 423
Congratulations!! That was fast :smile:

Original post by holly_1994
Beyond happy!! My offer has just been confirmed via my self-service account for the MPhil in Medieval History!! Good luck to you all, and keep positive! :smile:

For those of you interested in timescales:
Applied Oct 21st
Degree Committee Nov 2nd
Board of Graduate Studies December 6th
Offer made December 8th
Reply 424
Original post by Spuyi
Guys, a - very - silly question at this stage (after having applied months ago lol).

I wouldn't like to get into details, but basically: I'd now pick my second choice college over the first one (yeah, nice job, me!).

I know I can't change my college preferences anymore, but is it possible to get offers from more than one college and then be able to pick which one you'd like to go to, or do people hear back from just one of them?

PS: I do not think I'm likely to get in anyway, but I couldn't find this piece of information anywhere else and I'm very curious, so there you go. :smile:

Nope you cannot sorry :frown:
Reply 425
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the confirmation email to be received after your online status changes to offer made? I know someone asked this a while back but I can't seem to locate the post!

I studied in Cambridge before and I remember it took ages before I received my letter..then again I applied really late¬.¬
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I am applying for M.Phil in Development Studies. Just got my status moved from "awaiting consideration by Department" to "Grad Degree Committee decision" few days ago. From what I heard, there is nothing significant before moving to BOGS. Just wondering how is everybody applying for Development Studies doing and their current status. Would be more than glad to know. I applied at the end of October.

Regards,
Does anyone know when international students can expect to hear about funding outcomes and/or whether they have been shortlisted for competitions like Gates, Trust, etc. Are decisions announced all at once or do departments contact you specifically as decisions are made? Thanks
Original post by zpin
Haha no clue and eager as you are :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

😆😆 Also, I'm a bit confused about sending the official transcript by mail.... do we post it ourselves or do we get our universities to send it directly to Cambridge? Help! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 429
Hey Imaginary Scope!
Congratulations on your offer!! I just submitted my application to the same department too!

I'm still completing my undergrad though. Do you mind me asking about your credentials? Just so I'd be able to tell if I'm a long shot away!

Also, how long did it take for them to offer you this?

Good luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 430
Original post by khaleesi451
Hey! I applied to the same program as well as the Gates. I'm going off of nothing else than my own impression here, but I do believe they would have access to the rest of the application since it's all been entered into one system. I submitted my application (with references) around early-mid November and it still says "under consideration by the department".

Thanks!! I called Gates at the end and they said they look at the whole application, which made sense after I submitted and got to download the full application. Good luck with yours! I am yet to submit my references/proposal, so mine still says "awaiting consideration by the department". Maybe meet you in Cam :wink:
Reply 431
Beyond happy!! My offer has just been confirmed via my self-service account for the MPhil in Medieval History!! Good luck to you all, and keep positive! :smile:

For those of you interested in timescales:
Applied Oct 21st
Degree Committee Nov 2nd
Board of Graduate Studies December 6th
Offer made December 8th

Yay!! Congratulations :biggrin: Kind of reassuring to see the thread starter get it! Well done <3
Reply 432
Original post by Cationn94
Does anyone know when international students can expect to hear about funding outcomes and/or whether they have been shortlisted for competitions like Gates, Trust, etc. Are decisions announced all at once or do departments contact you specifically as decisions are made? Thanks

This is normally around early March. Gates have all their dates on the website:

https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/deadlines

I don't think you'll hear much before then and you will probably have your offer before that anyway, because people who proceed to Gates have to be shortlisted as the best candidates in their departments (and it would be pretty worrying if you didn't have an offer by then, haha!).

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 433
Original post by Cationn94
😆😆 Also, I'm a bit confused about sending the official transcript by mail.... do we post it ourselves or do we get our universities to send it directly to Cambridge? Help! :frown:

I don't think you have to worry about that until you've got your offer. If you mean for the application, then you just scan it in, create a pdf and upload it to the Applicant Self-Service (there's a function that allows you to do that).

Once you have an offer, you can either send it to them yourself or get your uni to send an electronic version if they have the system. More info here:
http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply/supporting-documentation/transcripts
Reply 434
Original post by cantabford
Hi everyone,

I am applying for M.Phil in Development Studies. Just got my status moved from "awaiting consideration by Department" to "Grad Degree Committee decision" few days ago. From what I heard, there is nothing significant before moving to BOGS. Just wondering how is everybody applying for Development Studies doing and their current status. Would be more than glad to know. I applied at the end of October.

Regards,

I applied for the Mphil development studies programme as well. My status is still on 'awaiting consideration by Department'. The wait is tiring as I applied over a month ago. It's surprising that several people on this forum moved into BOGS within 2 weeks of submitting their applications. I know the DS department receives way more applications on the average than most other departments but they should try and hurry it up cuz the Christmas break is fast approaching and I definitely need to see a change in status before the Michaelmas term ends.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you think that since I got a 2.1 last year (67%), I should wait to apply in January where I will have my results for this semester?
Reply 436
Original post by zpin
Hey, good luck man! I applied early October and it took about a month for a decision. My status changed from awaiting department to conditional offer within the day, and my college contacted me about 10 days later.

I don't think the period between each stage matters as it could take forever for one and hours for others. From the experience of others, reaching bogs is more or less a positive sign. Fingers crossed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your status moved directly from awaiting departmental consideration to conditional offer!!! It didn't go through degree committee and BOGS? Mine seems to be taking forever to move from awaiting consideration.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lusine
Yay!! Congratulations :biggrin: Kind of reassuring to see the thread starter get it! Well done <3

Thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by james.proctor
Do you think that since I got a 2.1 last year (67%), I should wait to apply in January where I will have my results for this semester?

No! Always apply as soon as possible, especially if it is December time. If you have 67% then that is usually the postgraduate entry criteria for Cambridge anyway, although this might depend on what course you are applying for.

I have 67% in first year and 68.5% in second, and I got an offer, so as long as you meet the criteria (which you do) then I would definitely get it in before Christmas.

Good luck!
No! Always apply as soon as possible, especially if it is December time. If you have 67% then that is usually the postgraduate entry criteria for Cambridge anyway, although this might depend on what course you are applying for.

I have 67% in first year and 68.5% in second, and I got an offer, so as long as you meet the criteria (which you do) then I would definitely get it in before Christmas.

Good luck!

Oh okay thanks for your response. That is interesting as my lecturer (who used to do admissions at Oxford) advised me to wait. Although he is a very strict guy, so no wonder he thought my 2.1 was bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending