The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mimbo
If you get a Gates interview does it mean you're likely to get offered a CISS?

Usually, it does. Did you get a Gates interview?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by vogelnma
I didn't know about this specific one they're interviewing for, but I had an idea the department gives out a few, though I'd imagined they'd be for PhDs mostly. I also think it has sth to do with me ticking the box for funding during the application, which is I guess what a majority of us did, so I'm hoping other studentship opportunities will be coming out in the next few weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got a departmental interview with Zoology too, though for PhD funding. I searched and knew there were a couple of studentships from the department I was theoretically eligible for, though the interview invite doesn't specify which one/s I am being considered for. Good luck!
Original post by EA.Gal.
any mphil applicants hear back about funding

Nope. I'm hoping to get one of the college-based scholarships I applied for, as they seem more likely than central funding. I'm just hoping that, one way or another, I hit the funding requirements!
I've been at BoGS for around 6 weeks now. Since moving to this stage I've been interviewed by the department (which sucks as I'm appalling at interviews) and my application is basically being reconsidered - there's nothing fundamentally "wrong" with it (I meet the English language requirements, everything was there in one piece, nothing was forged etc) but there's definitely a chance I won't get an offer, so I would be cautious in telling people that BoGS is the done deal. I would also advise anyone stuck at BoGS for more than 5 working days to ring the admissions office just to double check that everything's okay. :smile:
Original post by facelark123
I've been at BoGS for around 6 weeks now. Since moving to this stage I've been interviewed by the department (which sucks as I'm appalling at interviews) and my application is basically being reconsidered - there's nothing fundamentally "wrong" with it (I meet the English language requirements, everything was there in one piece, nothing was forged etc) but there's definitely a chance I won't get an offer, so I would be cautious in telling people that BoGS is the done deal. I would also advise anyone stuck at BoGS for more than 5 working days to ring the admissions office just to double check that everything's okay. :smile:

Stuff like this is why I'm pessimistic despite BOGS stage. Have they indicated the problem? Also if you don't mind me asking, what department is this for? Thank you.
Hey, a question for offer holders: 5 days ago I was informed both by my prospective supervisor and by the Graduate Admissions Office that I would be offered a place and that an official letter was on its way. My self-service page also changed to "conditional offer made - seeking college membership", but no letter as yet (I should expect one, right?).
So, I was wondering whether my application is *already* being assessed by my first-choice college or they'll only receive it when I'm made an official offer via formal letter. Does anyone know?
Reply 1906
Original post by POAIS_81
Is it normal to be stuck at BOGS for more than 7 days (almost 2 weeks), given that it is peak admissions time now or would you advise ringing them up and ask about the status of the application?

I would suggest you call them up( rather than send an email), especially if it will give you some peace of mind.
Original post by YankToTheUK
Stuff like this is why I'm pessimistic despite BOGS stage. Have they indicated the problem? Also if you don't mind me asking, what department is this for? Thank you.

Will PM you. :smile:
Hey everyone,

The Cambridge Trust list has been updated once again. It now includes 'Overseas' winners.

https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholars/awards/
The FAQs suggest it will be updated every 2 weeks so presumably more to be going out by then!
Original post by facelark123
Will PM you. :smile:

Hey! I'm in a similar situation too; been in BoGS for around a week now. Do you know what they said?
Reply 1912
Original post by ryanchen
Usually, it does. Did you get a Gates interview?
That's what I thought. But my friend got an interview and they haven't got a CISS - and a bunch of them are up now. Maybe he just scraped into the interviews?
Just want to remind everyone that the criteria for Gates and Trust scholarships are different. Gates awards leadership and community engagement, the Trust awards academic merit.
Not being interviewed for Gates does not mean you were not highly ranked by your department, just that you were not shortlisted by Gates, probably because there were others that demonstrated a more substantial leadership record (if you read the profiles of Gates scholars you can see that they have all at least started some sort of organisation or group or done something really tangible on the social level).
And being interviewed for the Gates does mean you were highly ranked by your department, but does not guarantee that you are highly ranked academically once all the rankings are compiled.
Both processes are separate, the departments sent their rankings for PhD in late February and both the Gates and the Trust have been compiling their lists since. So the Gates and the Trusts lists are completely independent and you might be highly ranked and considered for both, but in any case if you accept the Gates award you cannot keep your Trust award, even honorarily, you can only accept one of them.
Hope this helps everyone a little!
I applied for MPhil Finance and my status is 'Awaiting decision by Board of Graduate Studies'. For anyone who knows what does this stage entail? I hear from most that this is pretty much an offer but just wanted to see if that is correct

Also, I'm not sure if this will harm my application but in my app I said I did not finish my degree because I had not received my final transcript from my uni when I applied. I received it the next day so I uploaded this to my application when they asked for documentation. Do you think this will be a problem? I only just realised this now
Reply 1915
Original post by jimmyt92
I applied for MPhil Finance and my status is 'Awaiting decision by Board of Graduate Studies'. For anyone who knows what does this stage entail? I hear from most that this is pretty much an offer but just wanted to see if that is correct

Also, I'm not sure if this will harm my application but in my app I said I did not finish my degree because I had not received my final transcript from my uni when I applied. I received it the next day so I uploaded this to my application when they asked for documentation. Do you think this will be a problem? I only just realised this now

Unfortunately, until you see the " Offer Confirmed" status change, you are still in the woods; however, there is reason to be cautiously optimistic that your offer is on its way. I only say this because a number of people on this forum have been stuck in BOGs purgatory for much longer than is typically the case. Furthermore, one or two people have been rejected even after getting to this stage, which is a pretty rare occurrence, based on what others have posted over the years.

You only get to this stage if the department or degree committee are happy with your application, so if there had been an issue regarding your final transcript, I am sure you would have been informed. I would suggest, though, that you contact the department for clarification and to allay your fears:smile:
Original post by jimmyt92

You will get an offer very soon, don't panic. Econ/finance moves from bogs to offer within about ten days tops.
Original post by Mimbo
That's what I thought. But my friend got an interview and they haven't got a CISS - and a bunch of them are up now. Maybe he just scraped into the interviews?

Thanks for your reply. According to the trust's website, there are still 40 CISS to be sent out. Let's hope we can receive offer emails from them soon.
I am still 'under consideration by department' for MPhil Philosophy.
Original post by ryanchen
Thanks for your reply. According to the trust's website, there are still 40 CISS to be sent out. Let's hope we can receive offer emails from them soon.

Which page is the number of 'remaining' scholarships published on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending