Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

failed y1 economics at nottingham now doing well in politics&econ, switch back? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys my first post

long story short

14-16 1st year Economics BA/BSc at University of nottingham. Thought 1st year didnt matter. Did not show up to any teaching at all except the first few days of term, and failed the 4 core modules, scraped the rest. Resits in august failed Introductory Econometrics again as i didnt give it enough time and was told to go with an ordinary degree or transfer. chose to transfer to joint politics & economics.

So for 15-16 first semester had to change my lifestyle and got one 1st the rest 2:1s and in second semester the opposite, all 1sts except one 2:1 for a total classification of 68% so a 2:1. To be honest i only had to show up.

Anyway make of my situation what you will. As i took modules which would have been equivalent to Introductory Econometrics when in the joint degree programme, i think that it would be arguable for me to be able to switch back to straight Economics for the rest of my degree. I will be able to get a first in either Economics or Politics and Economics (im a ********).

The question is, Will switching back to straight economics only make a marginal difference in my job prospects in IB or Finance or should i try as hard as I can to graduate with an Economics BSc?

P.S. I know my job prospects are pretty dead failing first year, just want to know if i should even bother to exert any effort in switching back.

Love You
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by giblo)
    hi guys my first post

long story short

14-16 1st year Economics BA/BSc at University of nottingham. Thought 1st year didnt matter. Did not show up to any teaching at all except the first few days of term, and failed the 4 core modules, scraped the rest. Resits in august failed Introductory Econometrics again as i didnt give it enough time and was told to go with an ordinary degree or transfer. chose to transfer to joint politics & economics.

So for 15-16 first semester had to change my lifestyle and got one 1st the rest 2:1s and in second semester the opposite, all 1sts except one 2:1 for a total classification of 68% so a 2:1. To be honest i only had to show up.

Anyway make of my situation what you will. As i took modules which would have been equivalent to Introductory Econometrics when in the joint degree programme, i think that it would be arguable for me to be able to switch back to straight Economics for the rest of my degree. I will be able to get a first in either Economics or Politics and Economics (im a ********).

The question is, Will switching back to straight economics only make a marginal difference in my job prospects in IB or Finance or should i try as hard as I can to graduate with an Economics BSc?

P.S. I know my job prospects are pretty dead failing first year, just want to know if i should even bother to exert any effort in switching back.

Love You
    Don't switch mate, it would be a waste of time. You're clearly better at your new subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agree, stick to what you are interested in, it's not a failure that matters it's what you do after that that counts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1670)
    Agree, stick to what you are interested in, it's not a failure that matters it's what you do after that that counts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why are you bumping this thread you imbecile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    Why are you bumping this thread you imbecile
    Unnecessary and unacceptable glebp

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.