Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I know it's early in the holidays, but I seem to worry about these things..

Would you recommend that purchasing a textbook/textbook-like book and having a read through before starting your course is a good idea? (A textbook fitted to your course/maybe an introductory text).

It definitely sounds so, I just sometimes get a little worked up and it seems like a better idea just to relax until after results day when you definitely know where you're heading off to!

I feel quite incompetent for asking this question, but because of the duration of the summer and how the first year of university is about getting everybody to the same level and up to speed, I just don't know whether it's better to relax more or to start reading ahead intensely.

Thank you, and I hope this was readable - I get into these moments sometimes where I just repeat myself and things are just all over the place, but thanks for listening!

(I put it in this forum because I am trying to be hopeful about my grades haha)

ReputationRep:
    Reading around first year topics is always good before you actually start first year. Quite a few people do that. Although do remember not to stress over it. It's optional and the offer is not based on what you learn over the summer, you got an offer because your interviewers believed that you could thrive in their system.

In short, I do recommend it. But don't overdo it, enjoy the summer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Relax and enjoy the summer.

If they haven't issued a specific reading list, you'll probably read the wrong things anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Reading around first year topics is always good before you actually start first year. Quite a few people do that. Although do remember not to stress over it. It's optional and the offer is not based on what you learn over the summer, you got an offer because your interviewers believed that you could thrive in their system.

In short, I do recommend it. But don't overdo it, enjoy the summer
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Relax and enjoy the summer.

If they haven't issued a specific reading list, you'll probably read the wrong things anyway.

Thank you two very much, I appreciate the 'laid back nature' of your responses!
    I think I'll try to enjoy the rest of July and just get on with summer-related things, but post-results, I will get something sorted

I was sent a reading list actually, they're all textbooks for the course though which they recommend not to buy before you start, if at all depending on libraries, but I've seen a list of a couple of non-textbook books that seem relevant to the course, it's just the cost of it all!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by DanMargetts)
    Thank you two very much, I appreciate the 'laid back nature' of your responses!
    I think I'll try to enjoy the rest of July and just get on with summer-related things, but post-results, I will get something sorted

I was sent a reading list actually, they're all textbooks for the course though which they recommend not to buy before you start, if at all depending on libraries, but I've seen a list of a couple of non-textbook books that seem relevant to the course, it's just the cost of it all!

Our Tutors generally send out some reading suggestions after A-level results are confirmed in August. Current students also write welcome letters to incoming Freshers about the same time, offering advice over how much preparation to do pre-arrival. If you think you may be eligible for an Oxford Bursary, it is worth contacting your college to see if they can help with book costs. Brasenose offers First Years a small academic allowance (£50) which can be claimed against on arrival and some other colleges may do similar things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Our Tutors generally send out some reading suggestions after A-level results are confirmed in August. Current students also write welcome letters to incoming Freshers about the same time, offering advice over how much preparation to do pre-arrival. If you think you may be eligible for an Oxford Bursary, it is worth contacting your college to see if they can help with book costs. Brasenose offers First Years a small academic allowance (£50) which can be claimed against on arrival and some other colleges may do similar things.

Okay, thank you very much, I was actually completely unaware of the post-A-Level letters, fingers crossed that will be something to look forward to!

I was looking on the University's website about bursaries, stating that if you're eligible regarding your household income, you'll be contacted mid-September, so that's good to hear as my household income fits into one of those slots.

Thanks again!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.