The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
horrorboy
at A level i mean. just wondered if my 2 E's will be worthy :rolleyes:

I've got BEE at A level so let me know when you find somewhere, i may be joining you!
horrorboy

Can you not do a foundation course and then move onto the degree?
Reply 3
if you do outstanding at your interview some of the top cambridge colleges make 2 E offers......
Reply 4
There probably are some courses somewhere that only want two Es (thames valley maybe :rolleyes: ) but they probably wouldnt be worth doing. You might be better doing a modern apprenticeship or something. You can always go back to university in a few years as a mature student and you'd be likely to get into a way better one then!
What subjects are your 2 Es in and what are you thinking you might like to do?
Reply 5
smaug
There probably are some courses somewhere that only want two Es (thames valley maybe :rolleyes: ) but they probably wouldnt be worth doing. You might be better doing a modern apprenticeship or something. You can always go back to university in a few years as a mature student and you'd be likely to get into a way better one then!
What subjects are your 2 Es in and what are you thinking you might like to do?

my aunty said a nursing course only requires 1 E but i dont believe her, i thought nursing was a really proffesional thing like physio :confused:
Reply 6
alio
my aunty said a nursing course only requires 1 E but i dont believe her, i thought nursing was a really proffesional thing like physio :confused:

You can do a nursing diploma with only 5 A*-C GCSE's. The entry requirements for a nursing degree vary up and down the country.
Royal School of Music
Royal Academy of Music
Trinity College of Music
Guildhall School of Music and Drama
Birmingham Conservatoire
Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester

Of course, you have to have at least a distinction at Grade 8 in your first study instrument, Grade 6 on a keyboard instrument and a reasonable singing voice, as well as getting through an extremely tough audition, and interview and a horrible theory/aural/harmony exam.

Cambridge, by the way, may occasionally make offers of EE, but they won't interview you unless you've got or are predicted AAA. Sorry.

I suggest a modern apprenticeship or a diploma. Nursing is a good idea if that's your cup of tea. It's better not to go to uni at all than to go somewhere like TVU. Alternatively, get a job, go to night school and then apply later as a mature student.
I get the feeling you just want to go to university for the sake of it. You haven't specified the course you want to do, or even the vague area you're interested in. If it's just the university experience you want, there are loads of places where you can meet people in your position and go out and have fun, get a flat together etc. It is really worth the huge debt you'll get yourself into just to go to university if you're going to be doing a course you're not interested in and getting a degree from a crap university that many employers will just laugh at? (Harsh but fair.)

Why not find something you're actually good at? If you have EE at A-level, then unless you have circumstances you haven't mentioned, you're probably not the studying type. That's ok. My friend Darren dropped out of college after taking his AS levels. He joined a trainee programme with the local branch of one of the major banks (don't know which) and flourished. He's really good at it. He's been taking professional exams, testing the skills he has been gaining through his work, and he has attended residential courses to help him along. He's earning good money, and they've promised him a branch by the time he's 21. By the time I'm 21, I will be 2 years into an English degree, hopefully at a good university, but probably with about as much idea as I have now about what I want to do with my degree. I will graduate with a huge debt, and then try and find a job. I have no illusions. I want to do an English degree, but I'm sure Darren will make at least 3 times as much money as me in his lifetime.

Going to university is not the be-all and end-all, you know. Don't do it for the sake of it. It's not for everyone.
Reply 10
A friend of mine left school with 1 GCSE (Art), pretended he got a C for Maths instead of a D (I'm not saying you should lie) and got a job at Natwest. After working his way up through the ranks, he is now working as a money broker in London and earning 120K a year. Not bad really for someone who left school with 1 GCSE. All is not lost...
Reply 11
I had decided that if I got anything less than CC for my AVCE there would be no point in going to university because even if I got a place it was likely I would have struggeled.

On my course with the exception with mature students there is a coleration between A level results and final degree grades.

I decided that if I didn't get into Salford it would not be worth going to Bolton so I would get a job. In the end I took my place at Salford with AB (and an AS B) and I have not regretted it.

I did have a clear idea of what I wanted to at university though and took time to ensure I choose the right course which mean't me turning down Computer Science which has 5* research rankings and good teaching scores.

I personaly don't think universities should make places with less than CCC unless you can show you are suitable for the course via other means such as a job.

Also with EE at A level it will be harder to get a job when you graduate because others will have better grades. There are other ways to get decent jobs and I think going down the NVQ route may be ideal for you. I did go down this route when I left school but I got very bored and decided I had to study somthing a bit more challanging. (they make you do level 2 at first which is quite basic GCSE standard).

So despite this long essay what I am saying is just think long and hard about your options. Going to an EE university and an EE course probably won't do much good to your job prospects although they are exceptions to this as PQ will tell you.
Reply 12
horrorboy

my boyfriend has a C and an E at a level and is happily at uni now - he worked for a couple of years and the experience h got was far more relevant and appealing to the uni than the official qualifications anyway, he got unconditional offers from everywhere he applied!
Reply 13
You can do a degree in Adventure somewhere in Wales (I think it's Wales) with 1 E
Reply 14
juno_the
You can do a degree in Adventure somewhere in Wales (I think it's Wales) with 1 E

Do you have to bring along lashings of pop?

Super!!
Ucl
Reply 16
I got offers for Anthropology from East London and Surrey at 2 E's, but I had good references and predictions...you could give the more unpopular universities a try.
Reply 17
No offense "amazingtrade" but you're talking crap.

If you have a degree most employers couldn't give two hoots what you got at a-level, its the degree that counts just as your GCSE's don't really matter when applying for uni as long as you have C grades in english and maths.

You can get into uni with BEE for sure, i got a B two E's and a AS level C grade and got straight onto an engineering course, graduated and now have a honours degree in Electronic Design, yes it was hard, the whole course found it hard but it'd not be worth doing if its easy.

Don't give up hope, if you have to do a foundation year, its only 1 year extra, no big deal and well worth it in the end a guy on our course did a foundation year to get in and graduated with a 1st. You can but try!
Reply 18
Vladek
No offense "amazingtrade" but you're talking crap.

If you have a degree most employers couldn't give two hoots what you got at a-level, its the degree that counts just as your GCSE's don't really matter when applying for uni as long as you have C grades in english and maths.

You can get into uni with BEE for sure, i got a B two E's and a AS level C grade and got straight onto an engineering course, graduated and now have a honours degree in Electronic Design, yes it was hard, the whole course found it hard but it'd not be worth doing if its easy.

Don't give up hope, if you have to do a foundation year, its only 1 year extra, no big deal and well worth it in the end a guy on our course did a foundation year to get in and graduated with a 1st. You can but try!

But I also know a few EE students who did some daft degree course and are now doing jobs they could have done when they left school at 16. You were one of the lucky ones.
Reply 19
pikaboo
I got offers for Anthropology from East London and Surrey at 2 E's, but I had good references and predictions...you could give the more unpopular universities a try.

Surely they were matriculation offers though?

Latest

Trending

Trending