Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Charlie's pre-uni big summer list watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished year 13 and I'm enjoying my summer before (hopefully) heading off to university in September. While I know I'll meet up with my friends and family during term breaks it will be a change from seeing them basically everyday, so this summer I want to make memories.

Every summer I always say things that I want to do and then never do them. Not this time. This will be a long list of big and small goals that I have wanted to complete for years.

As I am actually an adult now and I'm about to move far away I'm hoping to do things that push my comfort zone since I am a massive introvert - such as travelling by myself!

Wish me luck!

Not yet/Making Progress/It Happened!

Goals surrounding friends and family
    • Go on some day trips with my mum
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Between work and school scheduals clashing we haven't really seen much of each other recently. I want to change that and spend some time with her before leaving
    • Go on holiday with just one friend
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Just the two of us without parents exploring somewhere new
    • The movie night we always plan
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Up all night with a projector kind of movie night
    • Surprise party for my best friend
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Alice in wonderland theme - been planning for months and can't wait to see it actually happen!
    • Beach day - must include a kickass sandcastle
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Traditional summer ideals
    • Go outdoor climbing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Suggested by a friend - the idea makes me nervous but I want to give it a go
    • Large picnic with homemade food
    Spoiler:
    Show
    More of a wish by a friend but I want to make it happen
    • Garden Party until midnight
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Take advantage of long summer days and fleeting good weather
    • 1920s murder mystery dinner
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A long running wish - I enjoy the surface ideals of the era and would like to indulge for a night
    • Book a last minute holiday abroad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Supposedly a cheaper way to travel is last minute so I'll give it a go and explore it a bit more of the world
    Personal Goals and Plans
    • Start learning to drive
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A important part of life that I have put off for a year now
    • Complete the 30 days of yoga challenge
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I do yoga on and off so I want to try and create a more daily practice
    • Read 15+ books
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I love reading, but after a english lit A Level it has been a while since I have read for pleasure and the books I want to read have piled up on me
    • Run in a charity race
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've been running more for pleasure so I wanted to take that and raise some money for charity
    • Get a summer job
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Save money to pay for this awesome summer as well as gaining experience that will help me get part time work at uni
    • Do some volunteer work
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's a good thing to do and now I am an adult I've got a chance to do more
    • Try out new vegetarian recipes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm already vegetarian, but getting more cooking experience before uni is a good idea - I've found some I want to try
    • Go on a walk and explore somewhere new by myself
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There is a lot of beautiful area around me that I should stop and explore
    • Make new friends while travelling
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Push out of the box that I am currently living in
    • Watch a new film in the cinema
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Another thing I haven't done for a long time because of exams
    • Alternatively watch a classic black and white film
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I done enjoy films and I like the idea of exploring old films more
    Long standing wishes of places to go
    • Go to a water park
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Just something I've wanted to do yet have never done
    • Visit a castle
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I love history and it has been a few years since I have gone to visit places like a castle
    • Warner Bros. Studio Tour London
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Something I've said I'll do for years now - I've made a deal with a friend that this summer we will actually go
    • Go to London Comic Con
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Got the tickets! The inner nerd in me is thrilled
    • Visit Baker Street
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm a huge sherlock fan so hopefully I can spare some time in London to get here!
    • Watch a live performance or interactive screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I love the film and it seems to be an experience like no other. Wanted this for years so keeping an eye out for the chance

Acting goals
    • Be involved in a amateur performance to a public audience
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The final performance with my A Level Theatre Group. After exams were over in June we decided as a group we wanted to do one last performance but this time out of school and organised completely by ourselves
    • Watch a performance by the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC)
    • Get involved with some work with the (RSC)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've been in contact with them and if all works out I should be doing a week of work with one of their directors. Probably one of my biggest life goals would be to work professionally with the Royal Shakespeare company in the future!
    • Help make a film with a group of other creative peeps that I meet this summer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Plans are being made with people using the good old internet using connections from people in theatre - hoping to get something done! This pushes me out my usual comfort zone which is something I think I need to do.
    • Help write a script
    Spoiler:
    Show
    One of my friends is planning on writing a script adapting a greek tragedy into modern day and has asked for help. It sounds like a cool challenge and if we get it done this year we could possibly perform it next summer?!
    • Do some reading in preparation for university
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Under acting because that is the course I am taking - never to early and will put me in a good place to get some reading done

ReputationRep:
    Bucket List Update - Run in a Charity Race

On the 3rd on July I was able to take part in Race for Life in Derby with my friends Millie and Tessa. It was incredibly good fun and we raised £70 for Cancer Research UK - loved being part of the pink army and will definitely do it again!
    :heart:

Name:  13278050_1021831677898335_458097328_n.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  88.3 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Bucket List Update - Be involved in a amateur performance to a public audience

So this afternoon we did our final performance of The Pillowman!

The group was made up of my A Level Theatre Studies Class but was done completely outside of school, so I'm counting it as a amateur performance. We started this back in June once exams were over and the Grand Pavilion offered to showcase our performance without charge and all proceeds went to charity. It was a lovely way to finish two years of performing together (otherwise the last meet up would have been in the exam hall!)
    Name:  IMG_20150324_103207844.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  35.8 KB so long itchy fake blood!

ReputationRep:
    are you the one wearing the crop top in post #2?

ReputationRep:
    What will you be doing with the RSC and was it easy to get involved? Sounds fab! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    are you the one wearing the crop top in post #2?
    Yes I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie-hh)
    Yes I am
    Can't wait for you to show off your yoga then

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I like this thread and my plan for the summer was to get a job. And I am pleased to announce that I am starting as a part time call centre advisor tomorrow at a company called RS Connect. I have also made a new blog on social issues. Feel free to check it out and share it with anyone who might be interested. Just looking to inspire and empower people really.

Philachange.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surreptitious)
    What will you be doing with the RSC and was it easy to get involved? Sounds fab! x
    I'm getting involved with this 'play in a week' project they have during a theatre festival in Stratford. I'll be working with the director that worked on the current adaptation of Hamlet and by the end of the week we perform.

The week is for 18+ but there is also 'a play in two days' for 14-17 year olds. It has filled up now, but worth keeping an eye on the RSC for next year if you are interested.

The week begins 6th August and I'll make sure to post about it in this thread! x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think this is an excellent idea! Anyone complaining they're bored over summer needs directing to this thread. Not to mention recording things here as they happen gives you something to look back on and encourages others.

Good luck and hopefully there's a lot more green in the coming months. Out of interest what university will you be going to? And what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I think this is an excellent idea! Anyone complaining they're bored over summer needs directing to this thread. Not to mention recording things here as they happen gives you something to look back on and encourages others.

Good luck and hopefully there's a lot more green in the coming months. Out of interest what university will you be going to? And what are you studying?
    Thank you, I really want to make it a summer to remember!

I've been offered a place at Bath Spa University on their Acting course, which hopefully I have got the grades for. If not I've got an unconditional at Staffordshire Acting and Theatre Arts
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you, I really want to make it a summer to remember!

I've been offered a place at Bath Spa University on their Acting course, which hopefully I have got the grades for. If not I've got an unconditional at Staffordshire Acting and Theatre Arts
    Well done, congratulations!! In hindsight I should have guessed something related to the performing arts from your original post. I'm sure your grades will be fine

ReputationRep:
    I did a murder Mystery this summer! I would definitely recommend it. (I made my own) But it was really good fun!

ReputationRep:
    Bucket List Update - Summer Job

So after a few weeks of training I had my first full day of work today! I'm working in a mining museum and loving it because there are so many different jobs I get to do
    • Serve in the cafe (good experience to help me get a part time job whilst at uni)
    • Work in the gift shop (another classic job for uni)
    • Helping give underground mine tours & helping children gold panning for fools gold at the end
    • Research for the new displays that will be up by September
    • Join in organising events at the museum (we are planning a mine craft day so part of my work is making a creeper out of boxes to put down the mine!)
    So it's a interesting variety of stuff to do. Another bonus is that the research and writing for the new displays doesn't have to be done at the museum so I can clock up work hours working in the museum and do research to email in whilst I'm travelling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiiHyde)
    I did a murder Mystery this summer! I would definitely recommend it. (I made my own) But it was really good fun!
    Excellent! I spoke with a few friends about surprising someone with a murder mystery - she loves this type of thing and we could have a 1920s themed dinner where someone unexpectedly 'dies' and she has to solve the case. Just talk right now, but hopefully we can make it happen!

Any tips for making your own murder mystery?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent! I spoke with a few friends about surprising someone with a murder mystery - she loves this type of thing and we could have a 1920s themed dinner where someone unexpectedly 'dies' and she has to solve the case. Just talk right now, but hopefully we can make it happen!

Any tips for making your own murder mystery?
    Well I spent about 2 weeks putting it together before it happened - I think that when making your own, planning is key. I found some murder mystery games online which I took inspiration from as they let you see some of their own print outs for free , but they're a bit expensive so I just used word and paint to create the tasks and items each player had!

If you make your own I recommend an interrogation section (I had two characters ask everyone questions about the murder and had envelopes delivered to the table revealing evidence and plot twists) all my friends got really into their characters even the less outgoing ones so it was really funny!

Good Luck with it though I'm sure it will be great!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.