Turn on thread page Beta

What's your ideal final job and income? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If everything fell into place for you in the future, when you're nearing retirement, what would you say would be your ideal job level/title and total income at that point?

What about net worth?

ReputationRep:
    £100k

ReputationRep:
    Director- Investment (FICC) Research division of a bank (£150000)
    Or
    Economic consultant (£75000)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by squish562)
    £100k
    job + level/title too mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If everything fell into place for you in the future, when you're nearing retirement, what would you say would be your ideal job level/title and total income at that point?

What about net worth?
    By the time I get to retirement, retirement age will be closer to 70. I will have spent at least 15 years winding down my career, not earning as much as I previously had, choosing lifestyle over a job.

Ideally I will have some overseas property and living off renting it out to tourists. As long as my assets are enough to get me through retirement, which in today's money is going to be roughly £600k based on living for 20 years post retirement, I'll be more than happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by J-SP)
    By the time I get to retirement, retirement age will be closer to 70. I will have spent at least 15 years winding down my career, not earning as much as I previously had, choosing lifestyle over a job.

Ideally I will have some overseas property and living off renting it out to tourists. As long as my assets are enough to get me through retirement, which in today's money is going to be roughly £600k based on living for 20 years post retirement, I'll be more than happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting. How did you get to the £600k mark? What % return are you aiming for on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    job + level/title too mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The plan is Big4 audit, get the ACA, exit into industry, get promoted and become a Finance Director.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by squish562)
    The plan is Big4 audit, get the ACA, exit into industry, get promoted and become a Finance Director.
    Solid plan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. How did you get to the £600k mark? What % return are you aiming for on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not aiming for any return on it - that's just what I would need if I was approaching retirement (in today's money).

£30k a year x 20 years - suggesting I will retire at 70 and live to 90.

If I have a £30k tax free income that will be plenty to live off. I've made the assumption that either there won't be a state pension or I won't be eligible for it. So hopefully that value (well equivalent value to today's money) will be in savings and property. I'm not far off that now, so it's just a case of adding to really so over time I can maintain it. I'm not far off it now, but expect to be dipping into it in my fifties and sixties when I choose to effectively semi retire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Either trading at a bank -> Hedge fund
    Or trading at a bank -> PGCE -> Maths Teacher

Of course these plans might change.

ReputationRep:

What about net worth?

Meh still not sure what i really want to do so ill say that i would need a good salary to buy some expensive stuff lets say i wouls be happy with 60k a year tbh, higher than that would be cool but not essential. Then I need to be doing something that I enjoy, putting stuff out that will be of use to people and then getting the reward (people thanking you).

Ome day I will find my ideal job, i have an idea but it doesnt pay well i think
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'm not aiming for any return on it - that's just what I would need if I was approaching retirement (in today's money).

£30k a year x 20 years - suggesting I will retire at 70 and live to 90.

If I have a £30k tax free income that will be plenty to live off. I've made the assumption that either there won't be a state pension or I won't be eligible for it. So hopefully that value (well equivalent value to today's money) will be in savings and property. I'm not far off that now, so it's just a case of adding to really so over time I can maintain it. I'm not far off it now, but expect to be dipping into it in my fifties and sixties when I choose to effectively semi retire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair play. So your gross amount is assuming you make enough from investing that capital to preserve ~£600k in today's pounds?

How would it be tax free, out of interest? Do you not pay tax on retirement income?

Congrats on getting close to your number though, that's a great effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Meh still not sure what i really want to do so ill say that i would need a good salary to buy some expensive stuff lets say i wouls be happy with 60k a year tbh, higher than that would be cool but not essential. Then I need to be doing something that I enjoy, putting stuff out that will be of use to people and then getting the reward (people thanking you).

Ome day I will find my ideal job, i have an idea but it doesnt pay well i think
    That's fair. Money isn't and shouldn't be everything in life, go for whatever career you think you'll enjoy most.

You never know, you may end up being successful with the right attitude

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What about net worth?
    CEO - Millionz

ReputationRep:
    Work for a blue chip firm / FinTech. Gradually go through the ranks and build up relationships / cliental and of course experience.

>> Build and start my own Tech start up . Salary: In the region of 75-100k as well an paying corporation tax.

ReputationRep:
    Population geneticist/Bioinformatician. I'm still relatively undecided. If I go into academia, I would like to answer questions about our early history using genetics, and hopefully we can develop techniques that will help us infer more about our recent history.

The other option is to go the bioinformatics route, get a masters/PhD that will teach me how to code and use those skills to organise and analyse big data. From there, I'd either stay in biology as a bioinformatician or move into industry as Data Scientist or possibly Strategy consulting (via the PhD route).

ReputationRep:
    Fair play. So your gross amount is assuming you make enough from investing that capital to preserve ~£600k in today's pounds?

How would it be tax free, out of interest? Do you not pay tax on retirement income?

Congrats on getting close to your number though, that's a great effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The rental income would be taxed, although depends on where the property is (not expecting it to be in the UK).

If I came to sell my property in the UK, then I wouldn't be taxed as I live in it (based on current rules anyway). Only the interest earned from savings would be taxed, rather than any savings accounts themselves. So the set of assets I expect to have wouldn't be taxed as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Final job? Science teacher at a secondary school. Maybe for 5-6 years, so the salary most likely won't go over £30k.

I don't really care about having a net worth
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Akamega)
    Population geneticist/Bioinformatician. I'm still relatively undecided. If I go into academia, I would like to answer questions about our early history using genetics, and hopefully we can develop techniques that will help us infer more about our recent history.

The other option is to go the bioinformatics route, get a masters/PhD that will teach me how to code and use those skills to organise and analyse big data. From there, I'd either stay in biology as a bioinformatician or move into industry as Data Scientist or possibly Strategy consulting (via the PhD route).
    Wow, really interesting ambition and you seemed to have done your research about what's available to you too. (e.g. not many people know about consulting or data science careers being available to them after studying a scientific discipline - most just assume it's teaching or research).

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll get to your eventual goal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My ideal job is an author, and income? Enough that I can live comfortably while doing what I love.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.