Scroll to see replies

Original post by furmat
You can request the mark from Oxford in January

But Imperial replied me this! :/ [I didn't apply to Oxford]

Imperial's Reply on MAT.jpg
Original post by botmun2
But Imperial replied me this! :/ [I didn't apply to Oxford]

Imperial's Reply on MAT.jpg

Hmm, that's unusual. I thought it was January?
Original post by RuairiMorrissey

Certainly you can request feedback from Oxford in January. In fact if you leave it till April Oxford will tell you the window for feedback has ended.
Original post by RuairiMorrissey

Not for imperial, i got told to ask in end of march for imperial last year
Original post by MTripos
Hey congrats! What is your offer?

39 out of 45 in total for IB, including 7 in maths, 6 in physics and 5 in English B HL.
So it's equivalent to A*AB for A-level I reckon.
Original post by cindylol
What did you get in MAT approximately?

I did all of the questions, but I am not sure how many points I would get. Maybe it's around 90.
Hey guys. This question isn't regarding Oxford but was hoping if I could get some insight on warwick/imperial decisions. I got an offer from warwick for comp sci. and was wondering if that should indicate that I would also have a good chance for Imperial comp sci. I'm an international student from the US btw.
Original post by AmanGottu
Hey guys. This question isn't regarding Oxford but was hoping if I could get some insight on warwick/imperial decisions. I got an offer from warwick for comp sci. and was wondering if that should indicate that I would also have a good chance for Imperial comp sci. I'm an international student from the US btw.

No. I have friends with very average grades who have Warwick computer science offers. Imperial computer science however only takes the best of the best so a Warwick offer isn't indicative of your Imperial chances.
Oxford Comp Sci and Math Depts have released their 2016/2017 admission stats here:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/how_to_apply/publicReport2016.pdf
http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/maths-group-2016

Interestingly, the average MAT score across all applicants was 50.3, shortlisted 66.7 and successful applications 73.1. I personally thought this was a harder MAT than 2014 and others but from the results it appears to have been one of the easiest ones since 2008.

The number of math and comp sci applications was up by 35%.
Bit surprised with the large proportion of rejection with >80
Original post by AlvinLuiLui
Bit surprised with the large proportion of rejection with >80
I think the graphs can sometimes be misleading due to the fact you're seeing about 3 different "things" going on at once (p(getting the score), p(getting interview | score), p(getting offer| getting interview)).

Chance of getting an offer still seems to monotonically increase with MAT score, just perhaps not as quickly as might be expected.

It would be interesting to know the most common reasons for rejection amongst people scoring, say, 80+, though.

I'm guessing it's really disproportionately people apply post A-level, for example (but it is just a guess!)
I heard from somebody that just got feedback from St. John's for Computer Science (unfortunately he was rejected):

In total there were 424 applications for Computer Science and 36 offers. For St. John's there were 28 applications, and 0 candidates got an offer.
* He got a MAT score of 65/100 and letter lists his ranking for that version of the test (for him it was 41/505 - CompSci and CompSci and Phil combined).
*His average interview score out of 9 (for him it was 6)
* His overall score out of 9, based on the whole application (for him it was 6).

Can anyone comment on how close was he to getting the offer?
Any information about the minimal overall score for CompSci offer holders?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ophthon
I heard from somebody that just got feedback from St. John's for Computer Science (unfortunately he was rejected):

For St. John's there were 424 applications for Computer Science. In total 0 candidates got an offer.
* He got a MAT score of 65/100 and letter lists his ranking for that version of the test (for him it was 41/505 - CompSci and CompSci and Phil combined).
*His average interview score out of 9 (for him it was 6)
* His overall score out of 9, based on the whole application (for him it was 6).

Can anyone comment on how close was he to getting the offer?
Any information about the minimal overall score for CompSci offer holders?

There's a posting over on the Maths & Joint Schools page for a Maths &CS applicant to St. John's who got rejected with slightly better scores.

PS - the 424 CS applicants were to the entire university, not just St. John's
I'm having to decide between Imperial and Warwick for maths. Any thoughts?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I'm having to decide between Imperial and Warwick for maths. Any thoughts?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Obviously they're both great courses. If I were you I'd pick based on location - do you want a campus or to be in London? Also think about the cost. If you want to be in a busy city, maybe the money is worth it for you, otherwise maybe Warwick would suit you better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Mate. Idc bout mat bruv.
Jk mat is quite nice, note that recent papers are much harder then previous ones so dont do the spec test and think oh yeh mat is easy i can easily get into oxford as it aint that easy.
Quote me if u need help, had some nice alternatives to some questions.

Hi m8 could you please share some of these thanx!
The new thread is here :h: thread closed.

Latest