Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm planning on applying for English this year (one of the universities I'm applying to will be Cambridge, hopefully) and I'm just wondering what things I could do over summer to boost my personal statement apart from reading and writing haha, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Anything that will help show that you have an academic interest in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    English wat? Language or lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    English wat? Language or lit?
    Literature

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie-dance)
    So I'm planning on applying for English this year (one of the universities I'm applying to will be Cambridge, hopefully) and I'm just wondering what things I could do over summer to boost my personal statement apart from reading and writing haha, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here is my sticky on the subject:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post37765516

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Here is my sticky on the subject:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post37765516
    I've just re-read that and the following single statement stood out as being, perhaps, the most important thing for a candidate to understand:

there's a difference between reading for pleasure and reading as an intellectual endeavour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I've just re-read that and the following single statement stood out as being, perhaps, the most important thing for a candidate to understand:
    Indeed. One of my successes as a teacher was with a student who started out in the L6 saying that he wanted to study English because in his opinion the best writer in the English language was Stephen King. By the end, he got an A* and went to a pretty competitive university to read English, with a particular interest in Jacobean tragedy.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You should prepare for the ELAT

Some wider reading suggestions are listed here
    This includes:

ReputationRep:
    a particular interest in Jacobean tragedy.
    Oo-er. I always reckon that stating an interest in the works of Ford and Webster is a hidden declaration that you enjoy pulling your little brother's legs off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Oo-er. I always reckon that stating an interest in the works of Ford and Webster is a hidden declaration that you enjoy pulling your little brother's legs off.
    I've no issue with that.... I draw the line at shagging your sister and cutting her heart out to wave in front of her husband's nose on a dagger, but come to think of it, it's just Game of Thrones, really, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.