Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I spend almost 4 hours just getting to school and back every day using the train and walking. My morning train is at 7:30, meaning I leave my house at 7:20 or just before. My school finishes at 4, but I can only get on a train at 4:50 and so I get home at around 6. Most people agree with me that this is far too much travelling, and I still have 3 years left of High School. I'm not sure it's worth staying at my current school, I only moved there a year ago from my local high school and although it is a better school, I'm not sure it's worth the time taken to get there. Am I just being unreasonable or is this really too long?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered doing an after school activity for 30 mins or so until your train arrives.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how much the hours spent traveling affect the rest of your life. To what extent does it get in the way of you doing your homework/hobbies/etc?

If you have no other issues with the school then I'd say stick it out. You're already in the routine.

ReputationRep:
    Do your homework in the interval whilst you're waiting and on the train.

ReputationRep:
    It's lunacy

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position with college sometimes.

If I don't have a lesson until 11am then I have to get a bus at 9:15 (I have very bad bus times) which gets me to town 30 min later. So then I have a 1 hr 15 minute wait + the 30 mins I already waited on the bus and depending on what time I finish, I sometimes have to wait 1.5 hrs for a 30 minute bus journey again.

But you can always find something to do. I tend to revise with all the spare time I have and it's a good opportunity to do so - make the best of a bad situation.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't be motivated to travel that much just to get to school.. Then again, it takes me an hour to get to work (20 minutes+ walking) and even that sometimes feels like too much

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone

Yeah I can sometimes do homework on the train, except when it's crazy busy. It's just really difficult from a social aspect, as I cant just go to a friend's house after school or in the evening and it's a long way to travel at the weekend. This makes me feel extremely isolated where I live, and I'm always feeling physically drained and tired during term time due to waking up so early and staying up at night to finish things I can't do until I get home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePancake)
    Thanks for the replies everyone

Yeah I can sometimes do homework on the train, except when it's crazy busy. It's just really difficult from a social aspect, as I cant just go to a friend's house after school or in the evening and it's a long way to travel at the weekend. This makes me feel extremely isolated where I live, and I'm always feeling physically drained and tired during term time due to waking up so early and staying up at night to finish things I can't do until I get home.
    I've always spent around that time travelling. For me, the schools I went to were worth it and I have friends who I travelled with. You can also do your reading for lessons on the train, which is productive.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.