Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Hope you are all well and enjoying summer (apart from the weather).

Just wondering if anyone has done or considered the Top-up BSc (Honours) Computing and IT Practice? I have a HNC/HND in Computing and Systemd Development which I sent off for a credit transfer with OU. Just wondered if anyone had done the Comp and IT practice degree regardless if it's listed as top up as this can be done full too? I'm a little curious when it states examination for nearly all modules apart from the project - general feel for examinations do they have centres?

Just wanted a quick overview, thoughts and opinions from anyone really who has studied with OU doesn't necessarily have to be Computing. Long as I get some idea of how they work internally for students.

Kindest regards,

Ash
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I haven't done it, but I know that you can effectively use OU degrees as a top up by transferring HND credits even if it doesn't say so in the degree title. It might be worth using the search function (top right in OU subforum) to search for past Computing students, there may be answers to your other questions in their posts.

ReputationRep:
    I have also been considering doing the exact same thing with exact same course. If anyone has any information on this please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a BA English Literature (Hons) with the OU this February. Obviously, I can't comment on IT degrees because our subjects could not be further apart. The module website is extremely easy to navigate and the lecturers are great, they have brilliant citations and are brilliant. The course website provides what I would call a skeleton. It provides a structure for every week (Chapter to read etc) and tutorials are available through Adobe connect. The professors active in the English literature department are fantastic and seem genuinely passionate about the students they are teaching. A number of my tutors have lectured at Durham and Oxbridge.

The OU has exam centers but flexibility is available if circumstances are dire (home exams etc).

In the 2018 league tables, the OU placed 42nd (I think) overall, I have listed it in other forums but the following universities have expressed nothing but praise when discussing pg option with me:

Durham: Funnily enough I spoke to an academic who teaches the MA in Durham about my OU BA and they assured me having a 2:1 from the OU would be fine and they commented on the nature of study stating that they operate the MA with a similar emphasis on independent learning that the OU BA degrees contain. Durham is currently #1 for English in the UK.
    The University of Leeds: The OU degree is fine for the MA Literature course providing it is a 2:1.
    The University of Chester: The OU degree is fine for the MA course providing it is a 2:2 (I thought the 2:2 was low but that is what they told me :s)
    Edge Hill University: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1 for the PGCE and the MA English.
    DeMonfort University: Welcomed a member of TSR recently with a 2:1 in Language and Literature with open arms
    University of Liverpool: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
    The University of Manchester: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
    Liverpool Hope: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
    The University of Birmingham: The OU degree is fine providing it is at a 2:1
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by asmalley)
    Hi guys,

Hope you are all well and enjoying summer (apart from the weather).

Just wondering if anyone has done or considered the Top-up BSc (Honours) Computing and IT Practice? I have a HNC/HND in Computing and Systemd Development which I sent off for a credit transfer with OU. Just wondered if anyone had done the Comp and IT practice degree regardless if it's listed as top up as this can be done full too? I'm a little curious when it states examination for nearly all modules apart from the project - general feel for examinations do they have centres?

Just wanted a quick overview, thoughts and opinions from anyone really who has studied with OU doesn't necessarily have to be Computing. Long as I get some idea of how they work internally for students.

Kindest regards,

Ash
    Some great advise by Phillip Banks (Fresh Prince was my favourite programme!) .... We do accept Open University Degrees providing they are a 2:1 or above and have an Honours. Applications are considered on a case by case basis considering personal statements too. But regarding the degree itself, we do accept them from OU.

I hope this helps but if course feel free to give me a shout if you have any concerns

Ruth

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.