Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cashing in modules when doing AQA Core Maths but Edexcel Further Maths Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need some advice/help/clarity regarding what my options are.

My school used to do AQA Core Maths and AQA Further Maths but changed to Edexcel Further Maths before I started Y12. I know it's stupid, but I didn't know anything about cashing in modules when I started so I just trusted the school would be doing the right thing.

Anyway the different exam boards complicates the module cash-ins, as everyone knows if both Core and Further are done on the same exam board the modules are swapped between the subjects to ensure the best grades. I can't do this, my school had to submit which modules counted for each subject (core or further) in February or something... so I am pretty disadvantaged as my modules will not be automatically arranged for the best grades.

If I COULD switch my modules I think I would get A* in Core and an A in Further, but as this is not the case I am likely to get a B/C in Further.

Does anyone know what I can do? Maybe after results day I can get them changed or something? Like take a year out, submit the modules in the way I want them to be organised for next years results?

Any help and advice is appreciated although I know this is something people probably don't know anything about because it's so stupid. Essentially I am going to miss my uni offer because of my school's decision to do different exam boards...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieOH)

My school used to do AQA Core Maths and AQA Further Maths but changed to Edexcel Further Maths before I started Y12. I know it's stupid, but I didn't know anything about cashing in modules when I started so I just trusted the school would be doing the right thing.

Anyway the different exam boards complicates the module cash-ins, as everyone knows if both Core and Further are done on the same exam board the modules are swapped between the subjects to ensure the best grades. I can't do this, my school had to submit which modules counted for each subject (core or further) in February or something... so I am pretty disadvantaged as my modules will not be automatically arranged for the best grades.

If I COULD switch my modules I think I would get A* in Core and an A in Further, but as this is not the case I am likely to get a B/C in Further.

Does anyone know what I can do? Maybe after results day I can get them changed or something? Like take a year out, submit the modules in the way I want them to be organised for next years results?

Any help and advice is appreciated although I know this is something people probably don't know anything about because it's so stupid. Essentially I am going to miss my uni offer because of my school's decision to do different exam boards...

Thanks
    It is a very odd situation for your school to put you in. Having made this decision they should have explained how this might affect your results so that you could prepare strategically for the exams. From my understanding of how the process works you won't be able to swap module results into new combinations because you have taken the exams with different examiners. You can't for example combine 4 Aqa results with 2 Edexcel results to get a grade. If you do miss your offer and can't find a uni place this year, the only thing I believe you can do is retake some of the Edexcel further maths units to improve your overall result. Talk to your exams office as they are the best people to confirm this with Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    It is a very odd situation for your school to put you in. Having made this decision they should have explained how this might affect your results so that you could prepare strategically for the exams. From my understanding of how the process works you won't be able to swap module results into new combinations because you have taken the exams with different examiners. You can't for example combine 4 Aqa results with 2 Edexcel results to get a grade. If you do miss your offer and can't find a uni place this year, the only thing I believe you can do is retake some of the Edexcel further maths units to improve your overall result. Talk to your exams office as they are the best people to confirm this with Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
    There is a form that has to be submitted to Edexcel, which your exams officer will fill out, showing the modules you took to certificate AQA A-Level Maths. You will have to declare your units for A-Level Further Maths in advance, as you suspected to be the case. As far as I know, there is no way to rearrange the modules afterwards.

If you end up missing your uni offer because of it, you would have a strong case against your school and so I would suggest taking legal action against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    There is a form that has to be submitted to Edexcel, which your exams officer will fill out, showing the modules you took to certificate AQA A-Level Maths. You will have to declare your units for A-Level Further Maths in advance, as you suspected to be the case. As far as I know, there is no way to rearrange the modules afterwards.

If you end up missing your uni offer because of it, you would have a strong case against your school and so I would suggest taking legal action against them.
    Though I would love to sue my school, I'm not sure I'd have a very strong case against them.

ReputationRep:
    Though I would love to sue my school, I'm not sure I'd have a very strong case against them.
    As a result of their negligence, in executing a change of board halfway through the course, you directly failed to meet your uni offer - that is precisely the definition of a tort in law.

ReputationRep:
    They changed the year before I started, so from the start of AS I was doing AQA Core and Edexcel Further. If that matters.

ReputationRep:
    They changed the year before I started, so from the start of AS I was doing AQA Core and Edexcel Further. If that matters.
    Really unfortunate.
    Your school are ****ing retarded.
    Sorry if u miss the offer because of them, hopefully you won't

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My argument's still valid. The fact is, if you miss your offer, you will have suffered directly as a result of your school's action, which was (remember this phrase) manifestly unreasonable. Thus you have a case against them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.