opensauce
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Morning all,

I've been reading up on the Extended Project Qualification but I have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone who has done one could shed some light on my questions?

1.) How long does an EPQ take to complete on average?
2.) Where can I go for some inspiration on topics?
3.) Can it be written on anything at all, as long as it's relevant to the subject in question?
4.) What is the procedure for submitting an EPQ? Is there a deadline? How are they marked? Is there some sort of marking scheme/criteria that I could look at?

I'm looking to do my EPQ in Computer Science and the exam board is OCR if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by opensauce)
Morning all,

I've been reading up on the Extended Project Qualification but I have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone who has done one could shed some light on my questions?

3.) Can it be written on anything at all, as long as it's relevant to the subject in question?
4.) What is the procedure for submitting an EPQ? Is there a deadline? How are they marked? Is there some sort of marking scheme/criteria that I could look at?

I'm looking to do my EPQ in Computer Science and the exam board is OCR if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.
1) generally about 7-9 months with ~2 hours a week is what my school did it in on average.
2) everywhere!!!! It's probably a good idea to choose something you have always been interested in or a question you have wondered about for a long time.
3) you select a question you want to write and research about and as long as you can gather primary research then it's fine.
4) this is the same as any other exam. Your mentor will tell you about how the school runs its EPQ program and shoudl also provide you with advice on how to get the marks.
ett11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My school put aside two hours per week. I didn't always do those hours, instead spending about a week working hard on it at Christmas. I also worked on it at half term and weekends. I completed mine in spurts, instead of regularly, so I can't really give an approximate time.

I think I looked at some of the exemplar questions on the website. I literally googled a list of EPQ questions and then looked into the ones I liked.

Well, I think you're supposed to have a pretty precise question. My supervisor made me narrow down mine quite a lot, and I think my project would have been better if I had narrowed it down further. But yes, you can write about whatever you want!

If you're looking at AQA's extended project, there is a list of the assessment objectives on the website. Bear in mind that the evaluation stuff is worth probably more than the actual project. Deadlines should vary between schools - I know that some people do their projects in year twelve, others do it over the summer and some do it in year 13.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.22%
I'm not sure (32)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (234)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (366)
48.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise