Turn on thread page Beta

Should the UK follow the US's blocking of muslims entering? watch

ReputationRep:
    Assuming Trump becomes president and proceeds with the blocking of muslims from entering the country, should the UK follow this? In my opinion, the increase in multiculturalism is not worth it for the increased risk in terrorism

ReputationRep:
    Trump has already said he will not do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Ayubi)
    Trump has already said he will not do that.
    Hmm... Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orton6)
    Hmm... Source?
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...u-s-1467058774

ReputationRep:
    No. What a ridiculous idea.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Trumps serious warped logic depends on the presupposition that any Muslim might be a radical terrorist, yes? By that logic wouldn't all religious people come under that? i'm rather sure theres a list several miles long of Jews bombing and shooting people, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists etc. etc. Plenty of which have happened in the US e.g. The olympic park bombing [1996], Suicide attack on the IRS [2010] of course the Oklahoma bombing, Jewish Defence league and so on so forth..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, continue blaming the Muslims for being such a problem. It's not like the IRA was ever a big threat and we started excluding Catholics. It's not like in the 1960's in America when blacks were fighting for their rights by violent means that they were being threatened with extradition. No, of course that only applies to Muslims. Let me give you some perspective. Since 2000, there have been about 105,000 Islamic terror related deaths, 95% coming from developing nations(says the Guardian). That's about 5000 people in developed Western nations. Most of that number can be tied up with 9/11. Yes, the number is bad but put some perspective on it. Over 3000 people died during the troubles in Northern Ireland/UK which is quite large relative to the countries involved. Tens of millions of people a year die of starvation/disease in the third world. Millions more have perished in the great wars. Yet, so much attention gets put on what statistically speaking is relatively minor. It's a problem nontheless but there are far worse things out there which could kill us. Trump and the right wing conservatives have seen to it since 9/11 to scare everyone into needless hysterics just so that they can appeal to evangelicals for votes. Its as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming Trump becomes president and proceeds with the blocking of muslims from entering the country, should the UK follow this? In my opinion, the increase in multiculturalism is not worth it for the increased risk in terrorism
    What is your evidence to suggest that multiculturalism and terrorism are related? Or is it just an irrational gut instinct like Trumps?

And if you do ban Muslims from coming to the country,
    a) What do you do with 2.5 million Muslims already here?
    b) How to do tell if someone is Muslim?

Has it occurred to you that implementing such a blunt policy might see a rise in radicalisation from within our own country?

ReputationRep:
    Assuming Trump becomes president, he will not have the power to implement such a ban, even if Congress was supportive. Such ban would run afoul of both the 1st and the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution.

ReputationRep:
    While it would be better for Western society as a whole, it won't happen...

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think banning all Muslims is a bit of a knee-jerk and disproportionate reaction, and unfairly discriminates against those already living in Western nations. I would, however, be in favour of reducing immigration from Middle Eastern countries in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GythaOgg)
    Assuming Trump becomes president, he will not have the power to implement such a ban, even if Congress was supportive. Such ban would run afoul of both the 1st and the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution.
    100% wrong, you clearly don't understand what those amendments mean. Islam would not be banned in the US, you need to read more.

ReputationRep:
    There is next to no risk of 'Islamic' extremism in the UK, terror attacks are extremely rare here when compared to countries in the Middle East (like the Baghdad attack), and the UK is much safer when it comes to defending from terrorism.

(Original post by The_Opinion)
    100% wrong, you clearly don't understand what those amendments mean. Islam would not be banned in the US, you need to read more.
    The first amendment refers to freedom of religion and freedom of speech, this means it is not possible for laws to be created which favour one religion over another. It's worth nothing that a ban on muslims entering the USA would probably have similar implications that the Brexit vote had here, where hate attacks towards people not clearly from the UK rose by 42%.

If the law banning muslims was passed, it would violate the first amendment. Therefore, using the same logic as the right to bear arms, Islam cannot be banned in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    I think immigrants should have to pass a test where they watch La Cage Aux Folles before being allowed to live here. If they start shouting something about Allah wanting brimstone to fall on the gay main characters, or if they even merely show signs of disgust, then they can find somewhere equally intolerant to live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    There is next to no risk of 'Islamic' extremism in the UK, terror attacks are extremely rare here when compared to countries in the Middle East (like the Baghdad attack), and the UK is much safer when it comes to defending from terrorism.

The first amendment refers to freedom of religion and freedom of speech, this means it is not possible for laws to be created which favour one religion over another. It's worth nothing that a ban on muslims entering the USA would probably have similar implications that the Brexit vote had here, where hate attacks towards people not clearly from the UK rose by 42%.

If the law banning muslims was passed, it would violate the first amendment. Therefore, using the same logic as the right to bear arms, Islam cannot be banned in the USA.
    Again, you need to read properly. He is nit going to ban Islam, he is going to stop more Muslims from entering the country, a big difference, which would be 100% legal.

Regarding your 42% figure, again, you need to learn to read properly, there has been a 42% increase in the REPORTING of such crimes, not an actual 42% increase which you typed.

Police have also said that such reporting includes people phoning to complain about Nigel Farage etc. You don't know what you are talking about. Besides this mistruth that you typed, that makes no difference at all to Trumps Muslim ban.

ReputationRep:
    There is next to no risk of 'Islamic' extremism in the UK.
    Evidence to support this claim? Government seems to think otherwise. What do you know that they don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Again, you need to read properly. He is nit going to ban Islam, he is going to stop more Muslims from entering the country, a big difference, which would be 100% legal.
    ??? Did you read... what I put? You seem to try and portray me as an idiot when you didn't even read what I put..

Regarding your 42% figure, again, you need to learn to read properly, there has been a 42% increase in the REPORTING of such crimes, not an actual 42% increase which you typed.
    Do you genuinely believe that all of the increase is down to people lying about the hate that they have received? You also managed to side-step my point in the second paragraph, focussing rather on an individual detail (something you right-wingers seem to do a lot).

Police have also said that such reporting includes people phoning to complain about Nigel Farage etc. You don't know what you are talking about. Besides this mistruth that you typed, that makes no difference at all to Trumps Muslim ban.
    Source.

ReputationRep:
    ??? Did you read... what I put? You seem to try and portray me as an idiot when you didn't even read what I put..

Do you genuinely believe that all of the increase is down to people lying about the hate that they have received? You also managed to side-step my point in the second paragraph, focussing rather on an individual detail (something you right-wingers seem to do a lot).

Source.
    Your points are based no Trump banning Islam, which is not true, he can legally prevent new Muslim immigrants going to the US, nowhere in the US constitution does it stop him from doing that, you are conflating Islam for Muslims.

https://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/?p=135574
    Proves my Farage point.

On these issues you are simply wrong, if you want to argue about if Trumps ban will actually happen or not, please go ahead, but he legally can do it as the reasons you are saying are simply not true,

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.