Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you like as the punishment for attempting to carry out an act of terror? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At present persuent to the Terrorism Act 2006 it is;
    5Preparation of terrorist acts(1)A person commits an offence if, with the intention of—(a)committing acts of terrorism, or(b)assisting another to commit such acts,he engages in any conduct in preparation for giving effect to his intention.(2)It is irrelevant for the purposes of subsection (1) whether the intention and preparations relate to one or more particular acts of terrorism, acts of terrorism of a particular description or acts of terrorism generally.(3)A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.
    Do you think this is an apt punishment or would you see something harsher put on the books?
    for example someone caught trying to detonate a truck bomb what punishment there?
    Also bare in mind following Brexit there is no technical reason for not having the reintroduction of capital punishment..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Also bare in mind following Brexit there is no technical reason for not having the reintroduction of capital punishment..
    The technical reasons are that countries that do have the death penalty don't see a significant reduction in the crimes for which death is a punishment. It also says much more about the country than that of the people being punished. The death penalty is not the British way IMO. I would like to think we have a modicum of civility left in our nature.

A lot of people think prison is a soft touch, but it really isn't. You try staying in one room of your house with some other random guy with nothing to do but watch TV of read a book for 20 - 23 hours a day. I certainly don't fancy it.

ReputationRep:
    Loss of basic human rights so you can't. Vote or watch to or listen to the radio or read a book or talk to other people (without being punished) *or have warm food you are a cterroris you have no rights also life in prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    At present persuent to the Terrorism Act 2006 it is;

Do you think this is an apt punishment or would you see something harsher put on the books?
    for example someone caught trying to detonate a truck bomb what punishment there?
    Exit from the EU doesn't change the fact that UK is still a signatory to the ECHR which has absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Imprisonment for life with no chance of release would suit me.

I did read a John Birmingham book where in the future they buried jihadists with pig skins as punishment after death but I don't think we can get away with that; I don't think it's worth killing a pig over.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what exactly they did. This is why I'm sceptical about 'terrorism' being a criminal charge, as it groups together crimes of very different levels, such as arson and mass murder. I'd prefer they were simply charged like that.

If we're going to bring political motives into it, then I think it's fair to evaluate them relative to the acts in question. Grouping the IRA with Al-Qaeda as morally the same is lazy oversimplifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New- Emperor)
    Loss of basic human rights so you can't. Vote or watch to or listen to the radio or read a book or talk to other people (without being punished) *or have warm food you are a cterroris you have no rights also life in prison.
    Though that said "you are a clitoris" when I first read it. Might have been a simple typo but geographically not far off the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    The technical reasons are that countries that do have the death penalty don't see a significant reduction in the crimes for which death is a punishment. It also says much more about the country than that of the people being punished. The death penalty is not the British way IMO. I would like to think we have a modicum of civility left in our nature.

A lot of people think prison is a soft touch, but it really isn't. You try staying in one room of your house with some other random guy with nothing to do but watch TV of read a book for 20 - 23 hours a day. I certainly don't fancy it.
    Those that keep their noses clean inside can get the opportunity to work in the prison library, kitchen or workshops. For example, making double glazing units, Royal Mail sacks

ReputationRep:
    Well not incarceration. That's for certain..

I see the prison system as a source for creating or improving criminals. You are basically forced to live in a society of brutality and cruelty, and the response taken by many is to become as brutal and cruel themselves.

Worse, releasing a prisoner with such an experience is inflicting yet another tortured individual to what is supposed to be a progressive society.

Community service > rehabilitation > capital punishment. In that order.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.