Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe in second chances? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking around the news nowadays you see a lot of contrasting stories about the good and bad of humanity.

For example, a group of prisoners helped save a guard that was having a heart attack. Do you think their sentences deserve to be reduced for this act of humanity?

On the other hand, you do not have to look very far to see people being murdered, robbed, brutally attacked etc. Do the people who commit these sort of acts deserve 'second chances'? Or do you feel that once they carry out those acts that they are beyond 'redemption' so to speak?

This isn't restricted just to the examples I've put forward, think about it in any situation you want. Another example is cheating on a partner, do you think they should be given second chances? This is all subjective obviously, but I am interested to see what your views are, on second chances

(Sorry if this sounded a bit clunky!)

ReputationRep:
    Doing one good act, such as saving the guard to use the example above, doesn't make up for a (most likely worse) act that they've already committed that was deemed worthy of imprisonment.

ReputationRep:
    no
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think that within reason, people should be given a second chance. It's very much an individual case in my opinion, it really would depend on what happened. For something trivial or something that can be resolved, people should be given another chance. We're only human, we all do silly things, and I genuinely believe that people should have the chance to prove themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I believe in second chances within reason. Not everyone deserves them but in some circumstances, people make mistakes and are genuinely remorseful and want to make things right and deserve another chance. Me and my mum didn't have a good relationship growing up and for a couple of years I completely cut her out my life but we got together and she admitted her mistakes and they ate away at her and we made up and I gave her a second chance and years on, we haven't fallen out once and we get on like a house on fire and I'd be lost without her. I just wish we had that relationship from the start but better later than never

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I think that within reason, people should be given a second chance. It's very much an individual case in my opinion, it really would depend on what happened. For something trivial or something that can be resolved, people should be given another chance. We're only human, we all do silly things, and I genuinely believe that people should have the chance to prove themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :five: this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Looking around the news nowadays you see a lot of contrasting stories about the good and bad of humanity.

For example, a group of prisoners helped save a guard that was having a heart attack. Do you think their sentences deserve to be reduced for this act of humanity?

On the other hand, you do not have to look very far to see people being murdered, robbed, brutally attacked etc. Do the people who commit these sort of acts deserve 'second chances'? Or do you feel that once they carry out those acts that they are beyond 'redemption' so to speak?

This isn't restricted just to the examples I've put forward, think about it in any situation you want. Another example is cheating on a partner, do you think they should be given second chances? This is all subjective obviously, but I am interested to see what your views are, on second chances

(Sorry if this sounded a bit clunky!)
    Yes I do.

I do believe in second chances, I am one myself.

ReputationRep:
    Not when it comes to TSR. You get one chance and as many dupes as you please.

ReputationRep:
    I do believe in second chances, but it depends on the circumstances and the individuals involved.

ReputationRep:
    The ability to forgive is common but the ability to forget is rare, sometimes its about putting your ego to one side whilst in other situations its about rebuilding trust which is much harder.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If there's a good reason to believe that somebody can become a constructive member of society then yes.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how hot she is tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Redemption is possible, but not in just a single act. Life would be very unloving if one crime was the cut off - even if that crime was despicable and worthy of high punishment

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.