Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so this morning I saw an Instagram post about stereotypes "all cops aren't bad, all hispanics aren't illegal etc.". (Totally unrelated, but I agree) That post reminded of a difference in my way of speaking to the way most people speak. I would never say "all cops aren't bad", I would say "not all cops are bad".

"All cops aren't bad", to me, unites "all cops" into one subject, then denying the idea of the subject being bad, meaning that no cop is ever bad.

"Not all cops are bad", to me, converts the negation into a secondary process, undermining the idea that "all cops are bad". This, to me, has the effect of conveying the message that some cops are bad, but not all.

TL;DR: My question is which one is (more correct)? "All cops aren't bad" or "not all cops are bad"?

*I am not 100% sure this is the right category for this thread but I felt it would fit the discussion category better than the study help category, as this question does not come from school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The latter is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    The latter is correct.
    Thank you, but is the first correct in any circumstance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichita)
    Thank you, but is the first correct in any circumstance?
    Perhaps in a philosophical sense if you were to argue that there is no such thing as good or bad.
    On paper I would say that the first is incorrect. However, if someone was saying the words then it would depend on inflection and other paralinguistic characteristics. Maybe it would be ok for someone who doesn't speak English that well.

ReputationRep:
    "not all cops are bad", is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Perhaps in a philosophical sense if you were to argue that there is no such thing as good or bad.
    On paper I would say that the first is incorrect. However, if someone was saying the words then it would depend on inflection and other paralinguistic characteristics. Maybe it would be ok for someone who doesn't speak English that well.
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    Perfect, thank you guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    Sorry, one more question. I've seen this before, where a comma is placed directly after a quotation even though there is no pause in speech. Is there a rule for this?

ReputationRep:
    Not all cops are bad*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichita)
    Sorry, one more question. I've seen this before, where a comma is placed directly after a quotation even though there is no pause in speech. Is there a rule for this?
    it is used to separate the main clause of a sentence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.