Turn on thread page Beta

Confusion regarding masters watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've always thought that once your undergraduate degree finishes you can apply for your master's straight away, and the only qualification that will be looked at will essentially be your undergraduate degree.

But now I have heard from someone that your GCSE's and Alevels are also looked at....my GCSE and Alevels are not great and my Alevels don't really suite my undergraduate course....does that mean I wont be able to get onto a well known postgraduate degree despite doing pretty well in my undergraduate degree?

(Unis such as oxbridge, kcl, ucl, imperial...)

Thanks in advance...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Who told you that? They're wrong. Postgraduate admission tutors will certainly not be interested in your GCSE results, and very likely won't care about your A levels either.

ReputationRep:
    Check the admissions pages for courses you're interested in. If they don't say you require X grades at GCSE then you don't require X grades at GCSE. Don't always believe what 'someone' tells you without checking first.

Admissions staff have much better ways of judging your suitability for postgrad study than looking at the results of exams taken at least 5 years previously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starshine909)
    Hey guys,

I've always thought that once your undergraduate degree finishes you can apply for your master's straight away, and the only qualification that will be looked at will essentially be your undergraduate degree.

But now I have heard from someone that your GCSE's and Alevels are also looked at....my GCSE and Alevels are not great and my Alevels don't really suite my undergraduate course....does that mean I wont be able to get onto a well known postgraduate degree despite doing pretty well in my undergraduate degree?

(Unis such as oxbridge, kcl, ucl, imperial...)

Thanks in advance...
    I never gave my gcse/a-level grades and still got unconditional from ucl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can also confirm that I got my offer for Comp Sci from the University of Kent without ever mentioning anything other than my undergraduate grades. Academic references and a good application seem to be far more important than what you got in your GCSE's, five or six years ago.

ReputationRep:
    They're wrong. It's almost like a clean slate, they will only look at your predicted or achieved undergraduate classification.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter Uni didn't ask for any qualifications other than my undergraduate, and I got an unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    Some postgrad courses do want particular A levels, but those are quite rare... Mine wanted an A level in Maths...

If there is no A level requirement for your postgrad, don't bother showing them.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.