Turn on thread page Beta

Making money from home? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know any good ways to make money from home? I have to care for someone at home meaning I'm unable to get a job at the minute due to them needing around the clock care and me being the main carer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyeAmber)
    Does anybody know any good ways to make money from home? I have to care for someone at home meaning I'm unable to get a job at the minute due to them needing around the clock care and me being the main carer.
    there are a few ways which as long as you have eBay then you can do ok
    jewellery selling
    scrap gold, silver, platinum dealing
    watch repairs/sales
    flipping items
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's loads of good ways but they all require a substantial amount of investment in time, money or potentially both. If you're unable to put the time in as a result of caring then you'll struggle to make anything.

Luckily there are lots of potential options for you. I'm not going to list all the ways you can make money, a simple Google search will help you there. A few things to avoid though:

Paid surveys. No matter what you see, they don't work that well. You might make a little bit of money but they require a large amount of time and the payoffs are fairly small.

Content creation. This one only works if you have a talent or skill you can sell (online graphics, web design, writing, etc.), have the time to invest in doing it seriously and are willing to market it yourself as well. Payoffs are also usually small at the beginning. You won't be able to write a book and publish it on Amazon, or start a viral YouTube channel to earn a decent wage. That sort of stuff takes months. Look for instant pay content creation if you go this route, similar to fiverr or paid articles for blogs.

Anything that markets itself as get rich quick. They're all lies and don't work. Avoid them like the plague.

Anything that involves buying for profit. You need a decent amount of cash to get started and are entirely reliant on selling as well. In the case of physical selling for things like eBay you also need to do all the packaging and sending yourself. This naturally involves leaving the house to go to the post office and may not be appropriate for you. Dropshipping and other methods that take you out of the physical equation are more effective.

There are literally tons of ways to make money online. However the ways that actually make you serious money are small and the ways that take little time or commitment are virtually non-existent. Not to mention if you have to post asking how to make money I'd question how much drive you actually have to see these things through. If you want to make a full time income to replace a job then you need to treat it as a business. And that also probably means working 8+ hours a day for a long time before you get serious returns. If you're just interested in earning a small amount of extra money then you have more options. If you put the effort in it'll go up from pennies to a few pounds to serious amounts.

Other things to consider:

Are you eligible for a carers allowance since you're the main carer and it affects you getting a job? It's not substantial amounts but it'll add up.
    Self employed tax forms and other declarations. If you are making a regular income from something at home you're probably classed as self employed and will need to fill out your own tax forms, even if you don't earn enough to be taxed.

ReputationRep:
    hi I don't know if it will help you but I heard that you can make some money with online surveys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Anything that markets itself as get rich quick. They're all lies and don't work. Avoid them like the plague.
    Creating a 'get rick quick' scheme is one of the best ways to make money online. Think about how much money those guys are making by getting gullible people to purchase their useless training videos, books, VIP membership etc etc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lemon Haze)
    Creating a 'get rick quick' scheme is one of the best ways to make money online. Think about how much money those guys are making by getting gullible people to purchase their useless training videos, books, VIP membership etc etc
    I'm not at all saying they don't work in making money. I'm saying following their advice won't make you rich quick. As you've said when done right they can make substantial amounts of money off of people stupid enough to think they work. Hence my recommendation here to avoid because unless you plan to make your own, they won't get you anywhere.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.