Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do an Access course to study Optometry at university.
    Problem is there arent that many uni's offering it, and the ones that do require the following:
    GCSEs5 GCSEs grade C or above to include mathematics, English and science. Preference is given to applicants who have obtained these grades on application and who have achieved at least B grades in mathematics, English and science.ANDAccess 45 L3 credits of which 30 must be at distinction level including 15 level 3 credits from biology/chemistry/physics/psychology or maths. The remaining 15 credits have to be at merit level. Must have GCSE grade C or above in English and maths or be taking them. The problem is I only have 4 GCSE's grade C with the rest being less than that, with no pass grades in science subjects (Got D). I do have A levels grade CCD (English Language, ICT, Business).I cant realistically do an Access course and retake another GCSE and potentially retake English, Maths and Science GCSE's to get a B.Should i just choose a different course as i cant see a way around it

ReputationRep:
    It's frustrating when you want to get stuck in, but the most sensible approach I think, would be to do the GCSEs this year and take the Access course the following year. The English GCSE certainly shouldn't pose you a problem, especially if you choose an exam board that is all Eng Lang with no Eng Lit. That would enable you to put the effort into maths and science. It's good preparation for the Access course too: it will be easier for you to get those distinctions if you have GCSE maths and science fresh in your memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALittleLost25)
    I want to do an Access course to study Optometry at university.
    Problem is there arent that many uni's offering it, and the ones that do require the following:
    GCSEs5 GCSEs grade C or above to include mathematics, English and science. Preference is given to applicants who have obtained these grades on application and who have achieved at least B grades in mathematics, English and science.ANDAccess 45 L3 credits of which 30 must be at distinction level including 15 level 3 credits from biology/chemistry/physics/psychology or maths. The remaining 15 credits have to be at merit level. Must have GCSE grade C or above in English and maths or be taking them. The problem is I only have 4 GCSE's grade C with the rest being less than that, with no pass grades in science subjects (Got D). I do have A levels grade CCD (English Language, ICT, Business).I cant realistically do an Access course and retake another GCSE and potentially retake English, Maths and Science GCSE's to get a B.Should i just choose a different course as i cant see a way around it
    They stated that preference is giving to those with B's in Maths/English/Science - it doesn't mean that you need B grades at GCSE in these subjects, and I wouldn't stress too much about it considering the fact that Optometry was in extra and now clearing at Plymouth as they haven't filled enough spaces yet.

I was also considering Optometry at one point (I chose Pharmacy in the end!), and I was told that I just needed 'C' grades in English and Maths in addition to 30 distinctions on my Access course. You should email the admissions staff just to make sure that the information on their website is accurate, as I was under the impression that the "5 GCSE's or more" did not apply to students applying with Access qualifications.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_james)
    They stated that preference is giving to those with B's in Maths/English/Science - it doesn't mean that you need B grades at GCSE in these subjects, and I wouldn't stress too much about it considering the fact that Optometry was in extra and now clearing at Plymouth as they haven't filled enough spaces yet.

I was also considering Optometry at one point (I chose Pharmacy in the end!), and I was told that I just needed 'C' grades in English and Maths in addition to 30 distinctions on my Access course. You should email the admissions staff just to make sure that the information on their website is accurate, as I was under the impression that the "5 GCSE's or more" did not apply to students applying with Access qualifications.

Best of luck
    How do they not fill enough spaces when there are usually around 400 applicants?
    I have emailed them and waiting for a response.
    Also do you know the latest i can apply for an access course and get a loan for it? I'm very late to the game as only very recently did i decide to dedicate 4 years to this, feeling unfulfilled in my current situation

ReputationRep:
    How do they not fill enough spaces when there are usually around 400 applicants?
    I have emailed them and waiting for a response.
    Also do you know the latest i can apply for an access course and get a loan for it? I'm very late to the game as only very recently did i decide to dedicate 4 years to this, feeling unfulfilled in my current situation
    Plymouth were offering the course in Extra, which means that they were still accepting applications even after the January 15th deadline on UCAS. Clearing opened almost a week ago to those who already have their results (IB, Access, BTEC etc), and Optometry at Plymouth is on the clearing list. Universities will usually lower the typical entry requirements during the clearing period in order to fill spaces.

As for the Advanced Learner Loan, I know that applications for it opened in May but I don't know when they close. I didn't have to pay fees when I did my Access course, so I don't know much about the loan or how it works. /:

ReputationRep:
    ...Also do you know the latest i can apply for an access course and get a loan for it?...
    I applied for Access in the middle of August. I had already started the course when my loan came through, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. You will need a passport for the application process, so if you don't have a current one, you should get that sorted out asap.

ReputationRep:
    So you think if i do a science Access course i have a good chance of getting into uni for Optom?

ReputationRep:
    So you think if i do a science Access course i have a good chance of getting into uni for Optom?
    Some universities will accept it, some won't. It should say on the course webpage - look under 'Entry Requirements'. If you're not sure, drop them an email to clarify.
    A quick search on Whatuni shows that Manchester, Plymouth, Bradford, Hertfordshire and Portsmouth all accept Access for optometry.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester replied to my email:Thank you for your email and for your interest in The University of Manchester.Due to a University restructure that is currently taking place, we are unable to offer guidance on the admissions policy for Optometry for September 2017 entry, as a new School will be in place. You should contact us when the new admissions cycle opens in August/September for further information on entry requirements.
    For Optometry, applicants should also have obtained minimum grade B in GCSE Mathematics. Alternatively, their Access to HE Diploma can demonstrate 15 credits in Mathematics at Distinction grade in lieu of GCSE Mathematics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.