Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Theresa May PM by 12:15pm today. Leadsom quitting race. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-politics-live

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-andrea-leads/

Congratulations to Mrs May.

There's also concern that the 1922 Committee may need to be another candidate to the Tory Grassroots before she can become PM, but such a contest is likely to be just going through the motions.

SS

(Original post by Supersaps)
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-politics-live

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-andrea-leads/

Statement by the Leadsom camp at 12:15.

We will see.

There's also concern that the 1922 Committee may need to be another candidate to the Tory Grassroots before she can become PM, but such a competition is likely to be just going through the motions.

SS
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to see if the Tories put another candidate up for the election given that we'll be in a rather 'Corbynite' situation if they win.

A leader that isn't backed by the parliamentary party but is backed by the grassroots. Rather messy.

SS

ReputationRep:
    There'll be another general election I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Financial markets are moving, I think we will have a new PM now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    There'll be another general election I reckon.

I think that depends on the state of the Labour party in the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    Well they'll have a new leader sometime soon who'll run against Theresa May.

Both parties are in a mess at the moment so the election will be more of a 'who can prove stable leadership?' one.

I can also vote , turned 18 last week.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It brings back memories of Brown, the current situation. The tories are ahead in the polls with the opposition all over the place, an election would cement May's leadership, and perhaps iron out some of the fissures raised by the referendum. I think if May does not call an election and tries to hold on till 2020 it'll haunt her PMship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    It brings back memories of Brown, the current situation. The tories are ahead in the polls with the opposition all over the place, an election would cement May's leadership, and perhaps iron out some of the fissures raised by the referendum. I think if May does not call an election and tries to hold on till 2020 it'll haunt her PMship.
    The Brown parallels are interesting for sure.

However, I think the problem for the Government is they only have a majority of 16. That could easily be shattered in the course of something unexpected happening during a GE.

There's also the risk of another party catching the 'Pro-Remainers' sentiment to not take us out of the EU or to hold another referendum. I don't think the Conservatives will let that happen now.

SS

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.