Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

If there is a lower age limit on voting, why isn't there an upper age limit too? watch

ReputationRep:
    Surely a 90 year old is as incapable as a 17 year old when it comes to being able to process information in order to make a rational decision? Is "experience" the only reason?

I don't mean to insult anyone, I'm genuinely curious.

ReputationRep:
    Remain lost, give it a rest for one day :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? It was those 90 year olds and that generation who put you in the position you are in now- able to have free speech on forums like these, and freedom to vote and all the other freedoms your great ion enjoys now.
    And why are assuming that someone who is 90 is unable to process information? Get over yourself.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Not at all.

Though I do agree that people without mental capacity (such as those with dementia) should not be able to vote. If one cannot make financial decisions for themselves they should not have a say in referenda or who makes up the HoC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    Remain lost, give it a rest for one day :rolleyes:
    If this were a game, then remain would have lost. It's unfortunately not a game, though, is it?

ReputationRep:
    man thinks OP is reaching

the Queen is 90 and can process information :rolleyes:

It's stupid to compare a 90 yr old to a 17 yr old with less life experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    If this were a game, then remain would have lost. It's unfortunately not a game, though, is it?
    Catastrophic events:

The Holocaust
    Syrian civil war
    2004 Indian Ocean tsunami

Not a catastrophic event:

Brexit

Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm sure the Queen struggles to make rational decisions.

When it comes to giving young people a vote, there has to be a line somewhere. Sure, some kids of 14 are more politically aware and intelligent than much of the electorate. But many in their late teens and beyond still act like children.

You're not an adult in this country until 18. Your argument that older people -- particularly those who've lived through wars this country has seen -- shouldn't be allowed to vote, is, in my opinion, disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Not at all.

Though I do agree that people without mental capacity (such as those with dementia) should not be able to vote. If one cannot make financial decisions for themselves they should not have a say in referenda or who makes up the HoC.
    That would apply to anyone without the mental capacity, and not necessarily 90 year olds.
    In exactly 22 years, I shall be 90 and I hope I will still have all my faculties about me.

ReputationRep:
    My 99 year old grandma is quite capable of making rational and informed decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momma's Kumquat)

When it comes to giving young people a vote, there has to be a line somewhere. Sure, some kids of 14 are more politically aware and intelligent than much of the electorate. But many in their late teens and beyond still act like children.

You're not an adult in this country until 18. Your argument that older people -- particularly those who've lived through wars this country has seen -- shouldn't be allowed to vote, is, in my opinion, disgusting.
    I second this. It's not about your GCSE's or whatever bull liberals think makes their opinion valuable, it's about franchise and experience, something older people have in spades over young people.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    That would apply to anyone without the mental capacity, and not necessarily 90 year olds.
    In exactly 22 years, I shall be 90 and I hope I will still have all my faculties about me.
    I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I hoped that my "such as" would suggest that I realize that dementia is not the only cause of loss of mental capacity.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? It was those 90 year olds and that generation who put you in the position you are in now- able to have free speech on forums like these, and freedom to vote and all the other freedoms your great ion enjoys now.
    And why are assuming that someone who is 90 is unable to process information? Get over yourself.
    Could you explain to me how 90 year olds of today are the reason why I have free speech? The European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, signed November 4th 1950, is the reason why I have free speech. It provides that:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises."

Besides, 90 year olds of today would have been 18 in 1944 - only one year before WWII ended. They didn't fight for this country.

And I'm just saying, it's a known biological fact that brain function deteriorates with age, and I assume that the ability to process information - being a fundamental function of the BRAIN - will be affected by this. Why are you getting so aggressive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Though I do agree that people without mental capacity (such as those with dementia) should not be able to vote.
    Why not? Are you suggesting that one has to be means tested to vote? For me, there are two fundamental issues with voting in this country:

1. The first-past-the-post system of voting is incredibly unfair and renders the majority of votes worthless
    2. With point one in mind, I would rather see efforts made to persuade those who don't vote to cast their ballot over removing the vote from those not deemed worthy, or giving the under 18s the vote in the hope they might bolster whichever movement is in favour of their being allowed to vote.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Why not?
    Should they get tested.
    They are not capable of making informed decisions.

No, rather that those already deemed as having lost their mental capacity have their suffrage rescinded.

ReputationRep:
    They gave us the oil crisis of the 70s, the Vietnam/Iraq wars, economic crisis of 2007, and not to mention passing down their bigotry and prejudice to everyone else. Yep, thanks to all the old people everywhere :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momma's Kumquat)

Yes, because the Queen is a totally representative example of all 90 year olds in this country she's obliged to be politcally neutral, anyway. It's unconstitutional for her to vote.

And I'm sorry that you think my opinion is disgusting. This was meant to be an open, free debate, not an attack on old people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManDontCare)
    man thinks OP is reaching

the Queen is 90 and can process information :rolleyes:

It's stupid to compare a 90 yr old to a 17 yr old with less life experience
    Her Majesty is as bright as a button and gets more done in a day than most teenagers do in a fortnight. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    They gave us the oil crisis of the 70s, the Vietnam/Iraq wars, economic crisis of 2007, and not to mention passing down their bigotry and prejudice to everyone else. Yep, thanks to all the old people everywhere :rolleyes:
    What have young people done?

Never had a job, school and healthcare paid for by other people. Um.Uh. Damn.

ReputationRep:
    By that logic there ought to be an IQ threshold too (perhaps you believe in that, Idk). Yes, experience is important. I am sure lots of 90 year olds are capable of rational thought anyway. My granddad who died last year would have been 89/90 this year I believe - incidentally he fought in World War II - and up to the end he certainly was. But I guess people like that don't deserve a vote lol. Experience counts for more than you think it does. The fact of the matter is to come to a fully rational decision on something this complex would probably take the perfect brain, the perfect information, and years of analysis. Not every decision we make can be justified by a logically sound airtight argument. But at least people of this age have been through years of the EU and seen its evolution and its effects.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.