The Student Room Group

A level maths entry requirement

Ive just done an entry test for A level maths, the practice test i done, i got 40%, which is pretty ****, i need atleast 60-70% to pass, if i dont get in but i get somehow an A* or A in GCSE can i still apply to get in because i really need this
it really depends if your school has seats left because of how popular alevel maths is. If i were you, i would try and talk to the teachers asap, and then on results day speak to the head of the department or whoever can help you. This is purely a decision only your school can make, maybe ask for a retest, were you sick or didnt study well enough?
Reply 2
to be honest we finished school on the 21st last month, therefore t=its been quite sometime off school, we were not informed about the test untill atleast 3 days before, which is unfair as we thought school was over and we got demotivated and did not revise. I managed to scrape 40% due to silly mistakes, that i went over and improved within the last days we had to revise for the actual one. I counted up my marks for the GCSE and i got between a A and A* i was thinking to use my GCSE grades as a last resort, what do you think
Original post by NatoHeadshot
it really depends if your school has seats left because of how popular alevel maths is. If i were you, i would try and talk to the teachers asap, and then on results day speak to the head of the department or whoever can help you. This is purely a decision only your school can make, maybe ask for a retest, were you sick or didnt study well enough?
Original post by mariyahx
to be honest we finished school on the 21st last month, therefore t=its been quite sometime off school, we were not informed about the test untill atleast 3 days before, which is unfair as we thought school was over and we got demotivated and did not revise. I managed to scrape 40% due to silly mistakes, that i went over and improved within the last days we had to revise for the actual one. I counted up my marks for the GCSE and i got between a A and A* i was thinking to use my GCSE grades as a last resort, what do you think

I think your GCSEs, past academic records throughout the year and a little bit of convincing is all you can do really, like i said talk with your teacher and and try and get another shot. It might be difficult if your school is small and has limited seats if not then you have a better chance
Reply 4
Original post by mariyahx

Maths A level is very different and harder than GCSE, so if you do not get in they are doing you a big favour
Reply 5
thanks hopefully i would be accepted
Original post by NatoHeadshot
I think your GCSEs, past academic records throughout the year and a little bit of convincing is all you can do really, like i said talk with your teacher and and try and get another shot. It might be difficult if your school is small and has limited seats if not then you have a better chance
hey, at our sixth form we have a similar entrance test, if you get less than 40% you are asked to leave. are you sure that you need to pass to get onto the course? apparently student predicted A/A* should have little problem getting 40% so if you need 60-70% it may just take a bit of practise. also if you are real stuck you could get the CGP head start to AS maths, it recaps all the higher level GCSE topics with added further Alevel info. hope this helps:smile:
Reply 7
not sure what the pass mark is but they did mention aiming for bove 60%, the problem is, it was short notice everyone got below 50% only about 5 people got above 50%
Original post by charl0ttem
hey, at our sixth form we have a similar entrance test, if you get less than 40% you are asked to leave. are you sure that you need to pass to get onto the course? apparently student predicted A/A* should have little problem getting 40% so if you need 60-70% it may just take a bit of practise. also if you are real stuck you could get the CGP head start to AS maths, it recaps all the higher level GCSE topics with added further Alevel info. hope this helps:smile:
Reply 8
its cool, you can resit in september, cuz alot of people didnt give a **** that this test was important.

Quick Reply

Latest