Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason, other than to please our desire of feeling humane to give foreign aid. By foreign aid, I speak of those resources in which the British system has generated however been diverted toward other states.
    Before I read the flood of Liberal tripe that is about to follow, may i just point out that i understand that there are those who are suffereing throughout this world. I accept that there our those less fortunate than myself. But what you do not accept is that life is tough, life is not fair and we are making a too big a deal of this subject. Think of it in tribes as i often do, Tribe A is succefull has food to keep themselves going indefinatly etc, However Tribe B is the opposite and can hardly sustain its excistance.
    So at the detrement to to the progression of Tribe A, resources are diverted to B, simple because of the feeling of 'the right thing to do'

Well enough is enough.
    We can no longer live where we must help every and all.
    We must choose and prioritise our resources that suit our best interests, no Niger, not Brazil, nor America nor Afganistan.
    And stand must be made to put the interests of the British people first and formost.
    If we do not, i fear we are simple holding back the inevitable eradication of 3rd world countries.
    Which in my eyes is required if the human race is to truely advance and meet the estimated 30 Billion population mark the earth can sustain.

ReputationRep:
    Well there you go. I personally hate the fact that my taxes have pay for the public services that the state provides to people like you. But hey, there you go, life ain't fair I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there alot of economic theory to suggest that their development can benefit us? Through increased trade, increased competition, increased choice, larger labour markets etc, the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because we are reaping the benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    Yes because we are reaping the benefits
    So you admit that aid helps us? We reap the benefits of the strengthened states that happen to be very friendly towards us because we helped them to where they are today.

In your opening statement you said;
    We must choose and prioritise our resources that suit our best interests, no Niger, not Brazil, nor America nor Afganistan.
    What? Nigeria (hope this is what you meant), Brazil and Afganistan have lots of natural resources, and, just incase you havn't noticed, America seem to control most of the worlds financial and miltary resources. Being on these countries side is kinda a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Blood and Honour - your sig says you think with your blood. No offence, but that must be true cause you certainly don't think with your brain.

There is plenty of use in developing countries not as forunate as ourselves by using foreign aid. There's a whole pile of economic development theory i could quote, but there's simply no need because it's obvious.

As someone already stated it increases markets, which increases competition, which in the LT can lead to FTAs which can lead to economic integration which can lead to the whole world supporting itself in a humane way.

Its not just ' the right thing to do ', it makes sense and can make us money and trade and development in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason, other than to please our desire of feeling humane to give foreign aid.
    You prefer to please your desire not to feel humane then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    You prefer to please your desire not to feel humane then?
    apparently so.

ReputationRep:
    Humane is just such a Liberal word its sooooooo annoying. Believing we should help every 1 despite putting ourselves at a disadvantge.
    Serious quote me happy then, lol, what buy giveing to these countires such as Niger, yes who ever knocked it it is a country get an map.

I accept that in the future we can be in a position help the rest of the world but lets put the British first and once we are not requiring these resources and the NHS etc is the envy of the world again only then should we give this aid

ReputationRep:
    Humane is just such a Liberal word its sooooooo annoying. Believing we should help every 1 despite putting ourselves at a disadvantge.
    Serious quote me happy then, lol, what buy giveing to these countires such as Niger, yes who ever knocked it it is a country get an map.

I accept that in the future we can be in a position help the rest of the world but lets put the British first and once we are not requiring these resources and the NHS etc is the envy of the world again only then should we give this aid
    the UK govmt isnt as greedy as you think it should be. They are assuring our LT future by giving foreign aid, whilst you would like to see them assure our ST future by spending on ourselves. When my kids grow up they'll be glad you weren't in office now.

ReputationRep:
    Lt? St? Std?

ReputationRep:
    Long term, short term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Well there you go. I personally hate the fact that my taxes have pay for the public services that the state provides to people like you. But hey, there you go, life ain't fair I guess.
    Why? Clearly it isn't a problem for you to give the money (your parents) so I don't see why you shouldn't help people.

Stop being selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Why? Clearly it isn't a problem for you to give the money (your parents) so I don't see why you shouldn't help people.

Stop being selfish.
    Of course its a problem, MY taxes, along with my parents funding someone who is not British when there are shortages in the NHS, lack of teachers and schools, lack of equipment for our forces, less and less going into the emergency services.
    Pollution in the UK increasing, people living in squalor on the streets, Britains economic growth, one of the lowest with G8.

Once these are sorted, along with many others should we consider forgein aid.

ReputationRep:
    Of course its a problem, MY taxes, along with my parents funding someone who is not British when there are shortages in the NHS, lack of teachers and schools, lack of equipment for our forces, less and less going into the emergency services.
    Pollution in the UK increasing, people living in squalor on the streets, Britains economic growth, one of the lowest with G8.

Once these are sorted, along with many others should we consider forgein aid.
    Why are you still saying this whilst not tackling any of the accusations that you're ignoring the wider economic picture? Unless you're willing to challenge the evidence that aid ultimately benefits us, then you're just repeating the same old stuff.

ReputationRep:
    How does Aid benefit us in the ST & LT, not theoretically, give me actual real world examples!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)

Stop being selfish.
    Point. Head. Over. Fly.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason, other than to please our desire of feeling humane to give foreign aid. By foreign aid, I speak of those resources in which the British system has generated however been diverted toward other states.
    Before I read the flood of Liberal tripe that is about to follow, may i just point out that i understand that there are those who are suffereing throughout this world. I accept that there our those less fortunate than myself. But what you do not accept is that life is tough, life is not fair and we are making a too big a deal of this subject. Think of it in tribes as i often do, Tribe A is succefull has food to keep themselves going indefinatly etc, However Tribe B is the opposite and can hardly sustain its excistance.
    So at the detrement to to the progression of Tribe A, resources are diverted to B, simple because of the feeling of 'the right thing to do'

Well enough is enough.
    We can no longer live where we must help every and all.
    And stand must be made to put the interests of the British people first and formost.
    If we do not, i fear we are simple holding back the inevitable eradication of 3rd world countries.
    Which in my eyes is required if the human race is to truely advance and meet the estimated 30 Billion population mark the earth can sustain.
    A lot of the suffering throughout the world comes directly as a result of our nations actions during the imperial age which is the main moral reason for us to give financial aid. Also Britain as a nation will gain nothing from Africa being in its current state, whereas if it were developed and prosperous we would have a greater option in terms of trade etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    A lot of the suffering throughout the world comes directly as a result of our nations actions during the imperial age which is the main moral reason for us to give financial aid. Also Britain as a nation will gain nothing from Africa being in its current state, whereas if it were developed and prosperous we would have a greater option in terms of trade etc.
    I agree completely. Also surely if we encourage the general stability of countries in Africa and Asia there will become lower levels of poverty. Poverty and economic instability can be linked to extremist politics and terrorism. So surely it is beneficial for us to help the world become more stable. And that isn't even touching on the human problems that can be solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I agree completely. Also surely if we encourage the general stability of countries in Africa and Asia there will become lower levels of poverty. Poverty and economic instability can be linked to extremist politics and terrorism. So surely it is beneficial for us to help the world become more stable. And that isn't even touching on the human problems that can be solved.
    Even more valid reasons for financial aid. What Blood&Honour is trying to believe is that morals aside, there is no reason for foreign aid whereas obviously it can be justified in several contexts as being benificial to Britain and the West.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2004
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.