Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    May is now the leader of the Conservative party and de facto PM- the big question now is who will feature in her cabinet, specifically fellow leadership contenders.

I predict at least one of the major offices of state, probably Home Secretary will be given to a brexiter.

The most interesting question is what to do with Boris; other than self publicity, is he actually good for anything? What position could you see him fulfilling if any? Maybe leader of the House of Commons? Or business secretary?

Gove I would be very surprised if he didn't remain in place

.Leadsom I suspect will remain in place and quietly demoted in a following reshuffle

Crabb- again I imagine is pretty safe where he is

Fox - difficult as he is a controversial choice. He could be anything from a back bencher to foreign sec.

Osborne- this man seems to be politically indestructible. I would be hugely surprised if he remains as chancellor though- I suspect that will go to another reluctant remained sajid javid. Maybe a potential Foreign Secretary...

Philip Hammond- I have long thought that if Hammond and May were to breed they would create a new species of empathy-free humans. I suspect he will stay in place as a safe pair of hands.

Jeremy Hunt: similar to Hammond. Like Hammond he swung in behind May pretty quickly.

Chris Grayling- prominent brexiter and early supporter of May. I suspect he wishes to have the new brexit cabinet position.

Nicky Morgan, Amber Rudd/ Liz Truss - likely to be safe

Business Sec: another Potential Boris spot? Maybe Patel?

Home Sec: wild card, I predict a brexiter- maybe George Eustice?

Thoughts?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Leadsom - Minister of State for Children and Families

Grayling : Home Secy (I hope not but...)

ReputationRep:
    I suspect minimal change. I feel Osborne might stay in place and Hammond, and Gove seems stable as Lord Chancellor.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davij038)
    May is now the leader of the Conservative party and de facto PM- the big question now is who will feature in her cabinet, specifically fellow leadership contenders.

I predict at least one of the major offices of state, probably Home Secretary will be given to a brexiter.

The most interesting question is what to do with Boris; other than self publicity, is he actually good for anything? What position could you see him fulfilling if any? Maybe leader of the House of Commons? Or business secretary?

Gove I would be very surprised if he didn't remain in place

.Leadsom I suspect will remain in place and quietly demoted in a following reshuffle

Crabb- again I imagine is pretty safe where he is

Fox - difficult as he is a controversial choice. He could be anything from a back bencher to foreign sec.

Osborne- this man seems to be politically indestructible. I would be hugely surprised if he remains as chancellor though- I suspect that will go to another reluctant remained sajid javid. Maybe a potential Foreign Secretary...

Philip Hammond- I have long thought that if Hammond and May were to breed they would create a new species of empathy-free humans. I suspect he will stay in place as a safe pair of hands.

Jeremy Hunt: similar to Hammond. Like Hammond he swung in behind May pretty quickly.

Chris Grayling- prominent brexiter and early supporter of May. I suspect he wishes to have the new brexit cabinet position.

Nicky Morgan, Amber Rudd/ Liz Truss - likely to be safe

Business Sec: another Potential Boris spot? Maybe Patel?

Home Sec: wild card, I predict a brexiter- maybe George Eustice?

Thoughts?
    Osborne has apparently wanted FS for awhile and Cameron was rumoured to be bumping him to that at his next reshuffle so I could see it happening. given May's claims to be the steady pair of hands keeping a key player from the previous cabinet but in a moved position would be a good shout. Hammond has been tipped for chancellor, though I struggle to see it. As for Boris, conventional wisdom suggests he'll get something, but I imagine it'll be minor. He's popular, but not someone I think the country would trust with say home secretary. Gove is one I could see being pushed out in the next reshuffle, he has alienated his support base through his little stunt with Boris. That could be a shame given just justice reforms. I don't see Fox getting anything, he's got a few skeletons in his closet, not what May needs, especially if she is considering an election.

Time shall tell and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    May is now the leader of the Conservative party and de facto PM- the big question now is who will feature in her cabinet,
    Sir David Chilcot raised to the peerage as Lord Chilcot of Great Snoring and to be Minister for Brexit but with the strict instructions that he shouldn't rush it like he did his last job.

ReputationRep:
    She will just put her friends in the positions obviously

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Villiers, Osborne and Hunt all go!

ReputationRep:
    Gove is going for sure, i attend school in Theresa's constituency and she's pretty much against the education reforms she doesn't want an uncharismatic idiot like him.

Hunt will also be gone, Osbourne might stay though, I think Boris will be a minister without a portfolio, thing is she isn't here to lead government reforms so she might not reshuffle much only those she has a personal grudge against tbh

ReputationRep:
    Hammond appointed as new Chancellor of the Exchequer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Hopefully Villiers, Osborne and Hunt all go!
    Osborne gone

ReputationRep:
    Boris and Rudd also arrived at number 10, Damien Green en route reportedly.

Will be interesting to see if or what role Boris might get, especially with the 'Brexit Unit' allegedly being set up by May.

ReputationRep:
    I hope Patel is involved, I have grown to like her. She supported Brexit and the death penalty, my kind of woman.

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary?!

ReputationRep:
    Chancellor - Philip Hammond. Uh oh. Im a little worried.

Foreign secretary - Boris Johnson. The man is back. However, I preferred someone a bit more bold/strong. Nevermind. Thank you May.

ReputationRep:
    Bring grayling back as justice sec :P

ReputationRep:
    Dr Liam fox back on board which is good. We need more right wingers. Hopefully he is defence sec

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised to see Osborne sacked. He consistently failed on his own commitment to eliminate the budget deficit.

As for Boris Johnson. It could be a shrewd move or a circus clown could have been a better option, depending on how he performs.

ReputationRep:
    So the person who will be at the forefront of British relations with the rest of the world is Boris Johnson.

I'm not sure if that's funny or depressing.

ReputationRep:
    Gasp. Bojo to be Foreign Secretary. :eek:

I am gobsmacked. For one thing, I had expected him to go into permanent exile on the backbenches.

He's a Remainer who posed temporarily as a Leaver, but I suppose she may be able to play a trick on the nutters with this move, if it works - if they accept that Bojo is a Leaver as advertised for three weeks after he switched, she will effectively have trumped demands that the Brexit negotiations be handled by a Brexiter by having a pretend one in charge of them. :lol:

He's incredibly lazy and incompetent when given an actual job, so how long he will last is another matter. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    So the person who will be at the forefront of British relations with the rest of the world is Boris Johnson.

I'm not sure if that's funny or depressing.
    It shows how thin her palette of choices was in reality. He really isn't up to it, no matter how much he thinks he is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.